Air Con Noise

jonnydarcy

Reaction score
Morning all,
I have a strange noise coming from my 3.0 TDI Special Edition 2011. With the engine idling and the air con on I hear a kid of light pop/putt every 5 seconds or so. It's not particularly loud but clearly audible. In fact when I had the stereo on at lowish volume I could hear the popping noise and initially I thought it was stereo related.

It's done 64k and has just been serviced.

Any thoughts on what the problem is or whether this might be normal (??!)

Thanks in advance

When was the aircon last service, as it's not part of Audi's service schedule. It may just be a little low on gas and need vacuum out re-gassing.

Hi, not sure to be honest. Typically when I took the car into the dealers the noise wasn't evident. Will monitor it.

Thanks for the reply.

Morning all,
I have a strange noise coming from my 3.0 TDI Special Edition 2011. With the engine idling and the air con on I hear a kid of light pop/putt every 5 seconds or so. It's not particularly loud but clearly audible. In fact when I had the stereo on at lowish volume I could hear the popping noise and initially I thought it was stereo related.

It's done 64k and has just been serviced.

Any thoughts on what the problem is or whether this might be normal (??!)

Thanks in advance
Best to get the aircon serviced every year as it's on all the time on Audis.

Hi,

It sounds like the motors, of which there are many in the cars interior climate control system, are just continually redirecting the airflow around the cabin. It is perfectly normal to hear some clicking, but if you think it's excessive, contact somebody with a similar car of similar age and compare the two. Just ensure that the climate control systems are both on the same settings at the time of the test.

Also, there may be leaves or some light debris caught up in your climate system. The motor will shread these and it will make the motor souns as if there is a worn bearing. no biggie, and sortable with a vacuum cleaner.

As advised above, you ought to have the air conditioning serviced every 24 months to keep pressures up and to ensure the motors are freely working too.

I hope this helps.

Baz