Air con issue

Ewan kettles

Reaction score
Hey there. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the normal pressure of the refrigerant in the air con system should be mine is not very cold and it’s reading around 5 bar (72psi approx.)

Any help here would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea what the pressure should be but if there is not enough refridgerant in the system it won't carry cold air. You could be compressing water and air instead. The good news is the your compressor is still alive so take it to an A/C service garage. They have machines that suck all the gases/water out of the system and reload it with the correct amount of refridgerant and oil. Maybe worth have the drier changed as well if the A/C has system has water inside or if it has not been chilling car for sometime.
Down here in the tropical and expensive south it would cost £40 to £60 to do the recharge only.

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Depends on the ambient temperature, but your high side should be at least 150psi. Just run it in for a leak check and regas. Letting it run low could kill the compressor.

Once you’ve got the air-con system working again remember to run it at least 10 minutes per week to keep the system leak-free and in tip-top shape.
The refrigerant gas also lubricates the various seals within the system so by regular use it prevents the seals drying out and the gas escaping prematurely.....