Air con issue

I

imported_paragon

It can't be bad when all you have to worry about is which button to press!
On my 05 2.0TDI Sportback dealer advised the when Air Con Auto button engaged you can also engage Econ to disengage the cooler. The manual covers Auto mode and it covers Econ mode but does not seem to cover using both together although obviously you can. Anyone have help on this?

Auto = auto control of air distribution and temperature, and uses the 'chiller' to coo lthe air below the ambient temperature.

Econ = as above but without the 'chiller'

I appreciate the effect that Auto and Econ have alone but what is the effect of having them both engaged together?
Is it different from Econ alone?

I think its just so you can save the 2-3mpg, or whatever it is the aircon chiller adds to your petrol consumption, when the temp outside is roughly the same as the temp you want inside the car.

When the air-con is switched on, the compressor is engaged or dis-engaged by an electric clutch anyway, so if cooler air is not required it is just free-wheeling.

I can only assume that the Econ button, which actually stops it's engaging at all is just a sop to the environmental lobby.

As far as I understand it,econ should be used when the air temp outside is less than you wish it to be inside.

i.e.why do you need the aircon on when it's only 8 degrees outside.

However,in practice,using econ makes the car mist up terribly,so you end up switching the aircon back on anyway,even in the winter.

I leave mine on auto and to hell with the small saving in mpg.

[ QUOTE ]
why do you need the aircon on when it's only 8 degrees outside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freshness of air. When you have the air-con on the air is filtered more, thus making it cleaner... (apparently) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Plus have you noticed that if it's below about 10 degrees outside your aircon doesn't actually engage. Only when it reachs about 12 degrees does cold air actually start coming from the vents! Or maybe it's a feature of my baby!

Thanks guys for clearing the air on this. I'll leave it in Auto!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why do you need the aircon on when it's only 8 degrees outside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Freshness of air. When you have the air-con on the air is filtered more, thus making it cleaner... (apparently) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

add heat and it dries the air to lower humidity