Air con compressor clutch dead

Speedy Steve

Reaction score
well a while ago the clutch on my air con compressor went but i never did anything about it just left it and didnt have air con.
So know im thing do i
A: buy a second hand compressor and replace it all
B: buy a second hand compresor and swap the clutch
C: spend a little more and buy a new clutch and fit that

the upside with just doing the clutch on it is i dont have to re gas but with it not being used for so long it may need redoing anyway.

What do you guys think????

Steve, are you sure the compressor is dead? have you checked the 15amp fuse on top of the battery lid? I had a similar problem, nearly bought a new compressor but found it was just the fuse?

yes the clutch has gone buy buy even Bill commented it when i had the hybrid done but its been low on my list of things to do but its know time to sort it before summers 1 day comes round

Your clutch will not work if the air con system is low on gas, the system has sensors which monitor the gas pressure, if the pressure drops the system shuts down, it does this because the gas contains lubrication oil and if the gas is low there will not be enough oil in the system to keep the clutch spinning safely, so it just shuts down, might be worth having a leak test and a re-gas.

Bill still has that compressor in the workshop Steve if you are interested...

<tuffty/>

My mate took the aircon off his a3 1.8t
Dont know if theres anything you could use from that?

Sorry to hijack but I have a spare compressor I can sell someone if they need, I can get the part number if it's needed but came of a 1999 apy audi s3. Used but working conidtion