air con clutch or control module fault???

Markeyboy

Fan of the R-Tech!
Reaction score
iv had no aircon since i purchased my a3 over a year ago

when i switch the aircon on (econ off) the second fan at the rad comes on, but the clutch for the compressor does not come in

i have got the plug off of the compressor and measured the voltage across it, it seems to be a constant 9 ish volts regardless of the air con being on or off, and when switched on the volts rise to 10v for moment and then back to 9v

i have not been able to get to the connections on the compressor to check the coil (assuming there is one in there???)

i dont get any vagcom faults when scanning the car relating to aircon, is there anything else i can check?

I have just the same problem but when i switch the econ button on ( air con off) my 9 volts go, the only thing switching the bair con on/off is this 9volts to the compressor if 9 volts isnt there it sont engage if it is there the clutch should engage. I have been looking on the internet and dont entertain the idea for a second hand compressor but the cheapest i have found is 210 + vat from a website called fastrads its a common problem with these cars and a/c pumps some audi garages deny it others tel you its very common, replace the compressor and it will solve all your troubles let us know how you get on

when i get chanve im going to make up a plug to chech the resistance through the coil in the clutch, then stick 12v up ity and see if it opperates,

will probably be next week at the earliest

Yup i'm having the same problem i even ran a 12v supply seperately to the compressor it's self still no aircon nor does the clutch plate engage so it's looking like a new compressor also resistance is 10ohms where from what i've read it should be 3.6ohms

I am experiencing a similar issue my a4 b6 compressor clutch fell off.

Attachments

• 20130209_114700.jpg
    20130209_114700.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 452