Q5 Air con CAUSING screen mist

will_0407

Reaction score
I picked up an 18 plate q5 a few weeks ago. When I test drove it, the air con needed a regas so that was done before I collected. It was nice and cold but I find that if I have it set to blow on the windscreen, or even on my feet and the windscreen, i get quite a thick mist on the windscreen at the bottom that gradually gets bigger. Worth noting I've only had it on air con eco as that is plenty cold enough for me so haven't had the need to put it on full air con.

It happens irrespective of temperature over the last few weeks, so anything between 19-35degrees +! Is this normal?! I find it frustrating as I don't always want ice cold air blowing at me or my feet, but if I leave it on the windscreen then I just get these patches which get larger and larger until I switch the air con off.

Any advice or help appreciated!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-preview 2.JPG
    FullSizeRender-preview 2.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 95
  • FullSizeRender-preview.JPG
    FullSizeRender-preview.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 73
Probably be worth replacing the pollen filter and clearing out the housing

You have not got it operating on recirculate have you?

When we were out a few weeks ago, I accidentally pressed the recirc button on my wife's 2015 VW Polo, instead of switching off the AC chiller - took a while for me to work out why the screen was misting up in warm weather - then I looked down and noticed that recirc was enabled, on that car the AC button is next to the recirc button!

Edit:- of the recirc flap motor is faulty.

Reactions: Alistair D
It is condensation. The air con is working extremely well making the inside cold but the outside is warm. Is the windscreen clean or is there any coating/polish causing it to mist?

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

It is condensation. The air con is working extremely well making the inside cold but the outside is warm. Is the windscreen clean or is there any coating/polish causing it to mist?

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk
I will say the air con is very cold, definitely colder than I've experienced in my previous cars. Windscreen is clean/clear. The patch that mists doesn't block my vision at all, although I've never left it on long enough to see how big it would actually get!
You have not got it operating on recirculate have you?
No it's not on recirc, although I may try and see if it happens to make a difference although unlikely!

Usually this happens as the windscreen is so cold it actually causes the moisture in the air outside to condense on the windscreen, I have seen it on my car a few times but I noticed it even more so when I was living in Dubai.

Next time this happens, just put the wipers on a once cycle and it should wipe it away. Of course you’ll never be able to prevent this though.

Usually this happens as the windscreen is so cold it actually causes the moisture in the air outside to condense on the windscreen, I have seen it on my car a few times but I noticed it even more so when I was living in Dubai.

Next time this happens, just put the wipers on a once cycle and it should wipe it away. Of course you’ll never be able to prevent this though.
Thanks, ill give it a go :)
Just assumed it was in the inside, never actually thought to check!