Air Coming back through Turbo

David Eade

Reaction score
Ok, so first post ( please be gentle ) as I'm having an issue with my wifes A1.

It's a 1.0 tsfi - 2018 reg.

When the car warns up there is a noise ( slight tapping ) that sounds like it's coming from under the car - I thought initially it might have been something to so with heat shield rattling.

Anyway took it into local franchise - they couldn't re-produce so I played a sound recording - they said it "might" be (and I quote) "Air coming back through the secondary air pump and back through the turbo causing it to rattle"

I wasn't too sure about this, as I've noticed that the noise is usually more prevalent when the engine is idling but in gear or neutral, when the car runs ( especially in higher gear it disappears ).

My worry is that the franchise have said that they have seen the issue once before on an A1 and when they spoke with Audi technical services they were told that it wasn't a fault and was expected behaviour.

I did point out that if it was expected - why had it only happened to two cars from the multitude that have been through their garage.

I want to work out if i'm being fobbed off and fed a load of BS as they can't be bothered, or they know what the fault is and don't want to fix it.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received!

Many Thanks
Dave