AHHHHHHH!!! Bluefin!!

Reaction score
I can't belive it i forgot to take the map off my old a3 (what is now sold). Now bluefin want to £267 2 reset it!!!
What a ***!!!
Any of you clever clever ppl unlike me know how i could reset it ?
I can get it done for free if do it before 17th of sep

Hope so one can help this dum *** :notme:
Cheers

Why don't you contact the person you sold it to? For a start you've sold them a car that's not standard which is a bit of a dodgy game already!

Well i sold it to a dealer. Dont think he's going to let me take off the car. I forgot to take the map off.

Well cant remove it as i know of or can you ?

No you can't. Why don't you phone the dealer then? :huh:

Well longs he hasn't sold. I cant see him letting me take the map off the car. If you bought a car from some one and they come back week later saying want to take some thing off the car would you let them?
Sorry i know your trying to help but dont think it will work. Still going to ****** try tho but it dont look good.

Well longs he hasn't sold. I cant see him letting me take the map off the car. If you bought a car from some one and they come back week later saying want to take some thing off the car would you let them?
Sorry i know your trying to help but dont think it will work. Still going to ****** try tho but it dont look good.

i had a remap from my 07 cupra , which is same engine as the s3 , i kept the bluefin with the map ,and when i went to superchips to remap my 09 s3 they still charged me £245 so money ya been quoted seems about right , sorry cant be more help !!!!!!

lsw s3

How much did u pay for your bluefin when you first got it Isw S3?

It's not like it's a car stereo or something. It's a remap that shouldn't have been left on the car when you sold it. Did you tell them it was bluefinned when you traded it in?

I still don't see why on earth you haven't phoned to ask! What's the worst that can happen?

I fail to see staz why he had to remove the map of the car when he sold it, there's no written law & the dealer takes it as seen, they tend to not worry to much about the power as long as it drives cause they can do most things to it & they would just reflash the ecu with the stock firmware thats held in germany for the car if need be which takes all of 5-10 mins as per when me & dealer were playing with mine, so he hasnt done anything wrong, cost him few hundred but hey thats life, just pay the money & be done with it, cause bluefin wouldnt have made it that easy to allow you to mess with there money making.

No Staz i didnt tell them beacuse i was going to take it off the car before i sold it. But i ****** forgot did i belive me i've givin my self a kicking for it.
Im going to call them 2moro.

It should have been removed because they COULD sell it as sold and then they're selling a car that's not standard.

What happens if someone buys the car, has an accident and the insurance company has the car checked and finds the map? They can refuse to pay out and then who's fault is it?

I don't know why they would refuse to let you remove the map Dan. That's why I kept saying to call them :icon_thumright:

What you mean he should of removed it, he shouldnt of done anything Leon, thats not his problem & you know that very well, its upto the dealer to check the car not him, he sold the car on what they saw & thats that, not his problem once its sold to the dealer & its been this way since before I was born, sold as seen mate simple & most insurers dont even go near the ecu to check for any remaps & then there's understanding the actual programming of the ecu for a start, its very unlikely & to prove the fact aswell, if someone died in the accident then they might check further but hardly likely.

Yes i know what your saying Staz. Im am worryed about the car not being standard and if there was a accident to new owner.I Cant do that to some one.
If let me do it or not ive told the dealer.
Cheers Dude!

I know that very well do I? :think:

In this case it was going to a dealer so they can do something about it. A private buyer wouldn't though. We'll leave it for the courts to decide hey? (i.e. we'll agree to disagree)

How much did u pay for your bluefin when you first got it Isw S3?

bluefin cost me nothing ,cus they used my cupra as the developement car for the remap,,,,,, but still cost me fa the s3 tho .:sadlike:

lsw s3 :yellowrs4:

He sold his car to a dealer. It's not for him to tell about every little thing wrong with the car! If the dealer had road tested it he would have known it wasn't standard. There is not a snowballs chance in hell of anything coming back on him once the dealer sells it on. There is a very old saying in the car trade "caveat emptor".
Dave

He sold his car to a dealer. It's not for him to tell about every little thing wrong with the car! If the dealer had road tested it he would have known it wasn't standard. There is not a snowballs chance in hell of anything coming back on him once the dealer sells it on. There is a very old saying in the car trade "caveat emptor".
Dave

They also say 'buyer beware'. :laugh:

I have to agree that legally there is no issue for the reasons above, but for my peace of mind (and wallet) I would inform the dealer and try and take the map off.

Last edited:
I know that very well do I? :think:

In this case it was going to a dealer so they can do something about it. A private buyer wouldn't though. We'll leave it for the courts to decide hey? (i.e. we'll agree to disagree)

Oh dear, well I disagree with you completely TBH & one would think with your intelligence you would know about selling cars & sold as seen, yes.

As for courts, use your head mate, law would ask who sold the car to the person in accident, they would say dealer, end of story, it doesnt get any easier than this, dealer responsibility to check the car, not the original sellers, anyway this is truly hy-pathetic-al, lol

Dave

Thanks Dave, couldnt of said it better myself & your quite rightly saying if the dealer had road tested he would know it was tuned & again as you rightly say there isnt a chance in hell him ending up anywhere near a court as he sold it to the dealer, responsibility ends there, then dealer sells on to another person, then the responsibility is with the dealer, end of.

They also say 'buyer beware'. :laugh:

I have to agree that legally there is no issue for the reasons above, but for my piece of mind (and wallet) I would inform the dealer and try and take the map off.

LMAO, yeah very true one, (vagcom cable in tow), lol, but yeah I would of removed map for my pocket benefits if can port to another car & I have always advised on any mods but that was a selling point not for my own legal worry, as Dave rightly says it is obvious of the power upgrade

In regards to moving a bluefin map from one A3 to another, it is not possible without sending the unit to Superchips. The bluefin stores the chassis number of the car that got remapped with it, so even if you had removed the map you still would not be able to remap another A3 with the same spec.

Been there, done that.

I make you all right, there would be no comeback on the OP. He sold the car to the dealer, it's the dealer's worry if the person they sell it on to gets into an accident and then gets done for having a non-declared map.

Otherwise can you imagine the amount of backdated claims that would be going on!! Knock at the door..... "Oy.... you know that car you sold to someone 10 years ago?? Well he sold it to someone else, who sold it to someone else, who sold it to someone else, who sold it to me and i've just found out that it was you who stuck that massive air freshener on the rear view mirror which blocked my vision and caused me to crash. Pay up!!" :)

HOWEVER.... To be fair to Staz he hasn't actually said that the OP would be facing legal action etc if there was an accident. He just said.... "What happens if someone buys the car, has an accident and the insurance company has the car checked and finds the map? They can refuse to pay out and then who's fault is it?"

Which I would read as.... as the OP knows he left the map on and didn't try to inform the dealer then morally it would be his fault.
Don't think he really meant that he would actually be liable, or at risk of being sued etc.

I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

I make you all right, there would be no comeback on the OP. He sold the car to the dealer, it's the dealer's worry if the person they sell it on to gets into an accident and then gets done for having a non-declared map.

Otherwise can you imagine the amount of backdated claims that would be going on!! Knock at the door..... "Oy.... you know that car you sold to someone 10 years ago?? Well he sold it to someone else, who sold it to someone else, who sold it to someone else, who sold it to me and i've just found out that it was you who stuck that massive air freshener on the rear view mirror which blocked my vision and caused me to crash. Pay up!!" :)

HOWEVER.... To be fair to Staz he hasn't actually said that the OP would be facing legal action etc if there was an accident. He just said.... "What happens if someone buys the car, has an accident and the insurance company has the car checked and finds the map? They can refuse to pay out and then who's fault is it?"

Which I would read as.... as the OP knows he left the map on and didn't try to inform the dealer then morally it would be his fault.
Don't think he really meant that he would actually be liable, or at risk of being sued etc.

I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

Thats one of the funniest things read on AS for a while, air freshener, lol.

Question: Morally be his fault for leaving the map on his old car so he loses money or morally his fault if someone then buys that car from the dealer & drives it of a cliff cause its got more power than they realised, can you expand that answer slightly so I understand you correctly mate before I reply.

Also whoever buys the car should easily if they have 1 brain cell gauge the power & speed so effectively if they drive like a complete tit then crash then whose fault is it then, the original sellers, of course situation specific but there's no way its morally or any fault of the original sellers, they dont control how fast or stupid a buyer drives the car after them so cant be there fault any way you look at it, now if it develops a fault that causes the accident & its one that should have been checked or not sold with then the dealer is the person to be in court, no way the original seller anyway you look at it, he has no responsibility for that car once its sold unless as already said its stolen, finance owed etc which are all logical reasons.

Doesnt this site have an audifan whose a lawyer, be nice to ask a professional opinion on the legal side of these things.

Question: Morally be his fault for leaving the map on his old car so he loses money or morally his fault if someone then buys that car from the dealer & drives it of a cliff cause its got more power than they realised, can you expand that answer slightly so I understand you correctly mate before I reply.

Morally it would be his fault because he now realises he has left the map on the car, is aware that the next owner would be unaware of it and, if they get into an accident, may not be covered if their insurance company find out it has been mapped.
The right thing to do would be to inform the dealer that he forgot to take the map off, so the dealer could either (a) remove the map, or (b) inform the next owner that it's there.

The OP has said that he wouldn't feel good if something was to happen i.e..... "Im am worryed about the car not being standard and if there was a accident to new owner. I Cant do that to some one."

However, once he has told the dealer of the map then morally he has nothing do with it anymore. He's done his part and can go on living his life with a clear conscience! :)

IMO he would never legally be at fault. I'm with you on that one, even though I don't think anyone was ever arguing that he would be.

Also whoever buys the car should easily if they have 1 brain cell gauge the power & speed so effectively if they drive like a complete tit then crash then whose fault is it then, the original sellers, of course situation specific but there's no way its morally or any fault of the original sellers, they dont control how fast or stupid a buyer drives the car after them so cant be there fault any way you look at it, now if it develops a fault that causes the accident & its one that should have been checked or not sold with then the dealer is the person to be in court, no way the original seller anyway you look at it, he has no responsibility for that car once its sold unless as already said its stolen, finance owed etc which are all logical reasons.

As for the new owner driving the car like a nutter with the mapped extra power and crashing, I don't think this was ever part of the issue/debate. The issue was about the new owner getting into an accident and not being covered by their insurance company as they have an undeclared performance mod. Nothing to do with the map causing the accident.

Thats one of the funniest things read on AS for a while, air freshener, lol.

I giggled a bit as I was typing it! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Oh dear, well I disagree with you completely TBH & one would think with your intelligence you would know about selling cars & sold as seen, yes.

As for courts, use your head mate, law would ask who sold the car to the person in accident, they would say dealer, end of story, it doesnt get any easier than this, dealer responsibility to check the car, not the original sellers, anyway this is truly hy-pathetic-al, lol

I'm sure I just said the dealer would be ok but a private sale wouldn't :uhm: hang on let me just check................er yep, that's what I said.

Everyone on ASN seems to think they know the law better than the next guy. It gets a bit ridiculous. I have stated that if the car was in an accident and the car was found non standard by the insurance investigation (I had better reiterate the use of the word IF) then they can refuse to pay out. The driver's argument, that it was like that when he bought it, wouldn't be worth a thing because he has no proof.

So now you have a guy with a wrecked car who can't claim from his insurance. So what's he going to do?? He's going to try and claim the money from the guy who sold him the car of course. So he'll take him to court. And then whose decision is it? Well it's up to the courts of course! Just like I said.

I have no idea what their take on it may be so hence the agree to disagree bit. If you really think that you know what the courts would conclude then good luck to you.

With regards to DanTDi's sale he has nothing to worry about on that side but lets hope they let him take the map off.

Last edited:
Hey ppl just to let u all know ive rang the dearler he's say i can but ive any think was 2 go wrong im in the s**t. ****** bluefin better not let me down now!!
Im doing it saturday so let you all know.
Wish me lucky ppl lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
No swearing please Dan.

There's no reason to worry mate. I've had mine off and on many times and it's always been just fine.

Can someonr run thur with me on how put old map back on pls.
Im worrying

YAY it's done !! put the old map on no problems!!!
Free remap to my new a3 woo!!!!!:jump:

So are SAILO's comments wrong or they just being kind to you about mapping another car for free?

Well superchips are saying i can move it from one car to other. if you change your car wiht in the first year wit superchips they will remap ur new car for free.

Cant do better than that, (check the smallprint) but tbh chances of many changing cars within 1st year of remap use are unlikely, so its a marketing ploy overall huh, I know when I mapped my S3 with a friend I didnt change sell it for many years later & also a companion S4 had for 2 years, A3 currently 1.7yrs, so would seem for most pointless addition, for you its a bonus huh, result overall.

Yep it's free within the first year. I moved my bluefin from my A3 to my S3 and only paid £5.88 for the postage. Unbeatable! :happy:

Never knew you had buckets Leon :jump:

I got nearly every extra mate :)

Yep all done and free!! They reset my bluefin said i can use the same remap that was on my old 140tdi.
Sh*t myself when i was installing the new map to my car because half way thur on the screen between the two clocks on the dash saying ECU fault contact dealer. when it finshed installing it was fine.

Whenever I install or uninstall bluefin I get a host of faults that appear on the dash but the all clear once you've finished. They're still there as DTCs though so if your car is in for work with Audi they should tell you about them. For me they just cleared them as they were all a bit random.