AH Fab / Ebay / Forge S3/A3 FMIC installs (image heavy)

Hey guys, so after trawling through this thread I've concluded that I'm not bothered about keeping fog-lights, I've seen the following two coolers:

http://www.toyosports.co.uk/fmic-ffront-mount-turbo-intercooler-type-r-550x225x64mm-6699-955-p.asp

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Mou...Inch-In-Out-/331368100769?hash=item4d2713f3a1

Toyosport do a slightly larger one as well with 3" outlets. Which one would you guys advise? I'm not aiming for massive power tbh just gonna stay at a Stage 1 map. Also the eBay one has 63mm outlets whereas the Toyosport has 57mm...does this really matter? I don't want to introduce massive lag.

I saw this, however it has 3" inlets and outlets, I'm not running big power, everything stock apart from Stage 1 map....will this introduce any lag within the system? Will this be overkill? I'm planning on running 2.5" all the way to the cooler ends as much as possible.

Just plug in some different aftermarket "fog" lights into the original wiring. I've got brand new led strips, looks quite beautiful at night and very stock. My front grill is just on continuous open vent giving plenty of cool flow.
Car 1

Right guys, so I've made a shopping list and I'm gonna get the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Mou...ue&clk_rvr_id=894459069221&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

- 600x300x76mm core with 63mm inlet and outlet
- 2x 63mm silicone hose 120mm length
- 4x alloy joiner 63mm
- 4x 90 degree silicone hose 63mm
- 2x 90 degree [URL='http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/dp/B004D42KS4']polished pipes 63mm
[/URL]
- 15x 60-80mm jubilee clips

Will this be okay? I'd rather over order than under tbh.

Apologies for all the questions! I'm very new to all of this :)

Be aware, some cores are pretty restrictive in design which some have seen on here. There will Be a little pressure drop with 76mm outlets but tbh I didn't notice it when it was on mine with stage 1. Beach buggy was selling 600x300x63 I'm sure?

I'm only planning on going stage 1 then maybe downpipes and exhaust in the future...not going to go for any big power so I think it should be fine?

I've noticed many people here are cutting their crash bars...is this allowed in the UK? The way I see it cutting the crash bad effectively makes it makes it useless

I've noticed many people here are cutting their crash bars...is this allowed in the UK? The way I see it cutting the crash bad effectively makes it makes it useless

Dude... Crash bar is for light impacts... You reverse into a lamp post and it bends...

Slimmer cores, smaller fmic's can be fitted but they are inherently compromised flow and cooling wise... Wagner one seems to be a decent compromise but wouldn't want to run loads of power through it... 50mm core although lots of surface area but ultimately there is only so much that can be forced through it..

I know there are high power cars that have them fitted but just because they 'work' doesn't mean they are as effective as something a bit larger

<tuffty/>

So whats everyones opinion on intercoolers when chasing 450hp ???
- Whats the best out there?
- Brands plus hp figures?
Ah Fab v2
Wellycoolers
Forgemotorsport
Also want to keep fog lights but happy to cut into bar and reo.

Has anyone had or know of bad experiences with the newer tube and fin type wellycoolers??

Reason I ask is I've purchased a new one after twisting my old, and I'm not very impressed with quality and a bit of reading suggests the tube and fin design, whilst flowing better with less pressure drop, won't be as efficient at cooling.

The common one now available looks like this:
e6d0a413dad92864f7c8a4e0a67323f1.jpg
f558f63291ccd239d01b750e9eda49df.jpg

There is a huge difference in construction, and as such you do not get the whole 3 inch thickness with a tube and fin core. The fins themselves are also much more delicate.

Internally, this is the bigger issue for me:
88b1a454e4b47c5cd7818d86dc6344e0.jpg

Compared to a GOOD tube and fin and the older bar and plate design:
7c9f9928900e4e67dc8f8b5934358928.jpg

Because my car is mapped to boost so high (life begins at 2 bar), I'm not taking a chance on this, I do not want to fit something that is potentially a lot worse and melt the entire engine into a heap of slag.

Luckily I have sourced a bar and plate type through darkside developments, everywhere else seems to be tube and fin, often with no pictures of the internal fins.

Just thought I'd put this out there and hopefully my assumptions are correct

At least its not a glued core like some of the sh*te copies floating about... tube and fin in itself works fine tbh... my AH fabs is extruded tube and fin...

20110311_IMAG0612.jpg

<tuffty/>

Reactions: superkarl
There's a little more to the tubes in yours and obv works very well.
I'm going to stick with the tried and tested.
Its a shame, the tube and fin is a hell of a lot lighter, free hp lol

Reactions: <tuffty/>
http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=5314863

Seen this one that looks similar to the toyo core? Cheap too
Not bad.
Darkside one came in at £103 delivered and has 63mm outlets. My pipe work is 63mm.
Means it will fit a lot better than my old one which was 76
a02d12c1fcfaf1da819988b493e4a08a.jpg

I'm going to be mocking up the cold side pipework today with forge map sensor, il have it all welded up next week hopefully in time for a road trip to Dorset on Saturday

Reactions: Gops
Taken from upadted Post regarding AH V2

pipes to join it all together are now simpler (2 x 63mm 90 deg alloy bends and 2 x 63mm silicon 90 deg elbows plus clips)

Where would you source these from Tuft?? i would think the Fleabay ''alloy'' Would be mirror polished steel would that matter?

also im assuming the 63mm is ID on both so what am i using to connect sillicon to Alloy?

I have used ASH bends and silicon hoses available from eBay and Forge ones before... either will do the job... 63mm is OD... use JCS Hi-Grip clips rather than crappy t-bolt things

<tuffty/>

Reactions: AdzA3AGU
I have used ASH bends and silicon hoses available from eBay and Forge ones before... either will do the job... 63mm is OD... use JCS Hi-Grip clips rather than crappy t-bolt things

<tuffty/>
These fit the Bill??

http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/si...rmance-silicone-hoses/90-silicone-elbows.html

Those hoses? You have to choose via ID though

http://www.autosiliconehoses.com/alloy-90-degree-elbow-polished-alloy-bend-joiner.html

Alloy Pipes?

Amazon product

Fastners?

lol... partially my fault... skim read fail and missed 'the'

In answer to your question... yes... they will be fine :)

<tuffty/>

You are forgiven haha

once again your time and effort proves invaluable buddy.

With regards to the pipe work the alloy is ordered by its OD and the silicone by its ID so do i get both in 63 MM and then force the hose over the alloy pipe and clamp yea?

You are forgiven haha

once again your time and effort proves invaluable buddy.

With regards to the pipe work the alloy is ordered by its OD and the silicone by its ID so do i get both in 63 MM and then force the hose over the alloy pipe and clamp yea?

Yep... clip sizing is silicon OD + (silicon wall thickness * 2)... so based on the link you posted... 63 + (5.5*2) = 74mm... you would need JCS Hi-Grip 80's (60mm-80mm range)

<tuffty/>

I used JCS size 80 (60 to 80) as tuffty recommended and these are fine
If you are ordering your 90 degree alloy bends from ASH then I would call/email them first as when I ordered mine they were out of stock with no lead time on a new delivery.
If your stuck pm me and I'll let you know where I got mine

Mark

Thank you Tuft i would have probably overlooked that.

Nice one Mav, will do

Hi Sam,

It will come with the fixing brackets welded on, and the price is still £250.00 + £15.00 delivery if payment is done as a gift in Paypal. If you send me your Email address I will send a photo.

Many thanks,

Alex.
Hi Alex are you still sellin these intercoolers if so how quick can I get one ?

So this is the modification I am on now - an FMIC to replace the dual SMIC on the S3 8L.

I didn't buy this item below yesterday because it has 50mm inlet and outlet - but they are sold by official resellers for £270 - this attracted me because of the fog lights can stay, and considering they are the best lights on my car I want to keep them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191943011595

If I only want to update my relatively low powered S3 ( < 250BHP ) what size should I get 50mm ? or the 64mm inlet and outlet and 500mm x 300mm ? and then a generic set of fitment pipes and hoses?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182162409593

I was concerned about a big intercooler loosing boost and power because of a difference in pressure, but I suppose if the air is cold at 18PSI it is more efficient than baking hot air at 20PSI?

I am not interested in £450 airtec or £800 forge setups, but can warrant £150 which seems feasible from a cheap intercooler and pipe set.

Is this too small? Remembering, I am not looking to upgrade the power - it feels like I will be able to avoid the fog lights at 480mm?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150970723336

Thanks

Last edited:
So this is the modification I am on now - an FMIC to replace the dual SMIC on the S3 8L.

I didn't buy this item below yesterday because it has 50mm inlet and outlet - but they are sold by official resellers for £270 - this attracted me because of the fog lights can stay, and considering they are the best lights on my car I want to keep them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191943011595

If I only want to update my relatively low powered S3 ( < 250BHP ) what size should I get 50mm ? or the 64mm inlet and outlet and 500mm x 300mm ? and then a generic set of fitment pipes and hoses?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182162409593

I was concerned about a big intercooler loosing boost and power because of a difference in pressure, but I suppose if the air is cold at 18PSI it is more efficient than baking hot air at 20PSI?

I am not interested in £450 airtec or £800 forge setups, but can warrant £150 which seems feasible from a cheap intercooler and pipe set.

Is this too small? Remembering, I am not looking to upgrade the power - it feels like I will be able to avoid the fog lights at 480mm?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150970723336

Thanks

My intercooler is 585 x 335 x 62 using 63MM piping in and out and i still have full use of my Fogs Visit AH Fabrications they have 2 setups available the larger one which i hae and smaller more cost efficent one that i believe uses 492 x 260 x62 and 51 mm hoses

Hi guys iv spent the last week or so reading this thread there's a load on content -_- but I am still none the wiser lol I have a 2001 a3 Quattro 1.8t. Most of the information on here is for the S3 but I'm not sure if the same kits will fit. I was looking in to tuffys AH intercooler but on there website is £650, when on here everyone was saying its £200 which is a much better price lol. I've heard allot about the Toyosports tybe B intercooler but honestly I have no idea if it fits nice, as I want to be able to keep my fog lights. Please if some one could help me and provide a parts list and fitting guide I would be very greatful :)
Thanks again guys

Hi guys iv spent the last week or so reading this thread there's a load on content -_- but I am still none the wiser lol I have a 2001 a3 Quattro 1.8t. Most of the information on here is for the S3 but I'm not sure if the same kits will fit. I was looking in to tuffys AH intercooler but on there website is £650, when on here everyone was saying its £200 which is a much better price lol. I've heard allot about the Toyosports tybe B intercooler but honestly I have no idea if it fits nice, as I want to be able to keep my fog lights. Please if some one could help me and provide a parts list and fitting guide I would be very greatful :)
Thanks again guys

The Cheaper AH Fabs intercooler was the V1 buddy the really expensive one is the V2. Im fairly sure the A3 only has one side mount intercooler but if the map pipe runs the same they yes they will fit fine.

If you choose the V2 your going to need 2 90' Degree Silicone bends with and internal diameter of 63mm and two 90' Degree Aloy pipes with an outer Diameter of 63MM a pack of 10 JCS Hi Grip Jubilee clamps 60- 80 mm all pipe work will fit fine however the alloy bend on passenger side will need trimming to fit the Map Pipe. and the crash bar will need cutting to accomadate the V2 (its massive)

nearly forgot your gonna need to buy two bolts two nuts and 4 washers to mount the IC to the crashbar

AH Fabs have it listed at 650 for some bizarre reason but if you call them you can 'discuss' the price... not sure what most people end up paying these days but I believe there is a decent discount to be had if you ask... don't bother with the V1

For the most part S3 FMIC's 'should' fit A3's... the bumper is different so some modification would most likely be required and not sure how much of it would stick out... pipework will of course need to be changed as the A3 is all down the drivers side... not a major drama if heading down this route and there are plenty of examples here and in other posts...

<tuffty/>