AH Fab / Ebay / Forge S3/A3 FMIC installs (image heavy)

looks very tidy.

what BHP is that cooler rated too?

If I'm honest...I'm not 100% sure. It's pretty much the same size as the AH Fabs V1 however slightly thicker... brought it from a guy who was breaking his S3 with IHI turbo - he said it performed well and had no reason to doubt him. I have noticed my fan doesn't come on anymore when I've been for a 'spirited' drive.. so must be cooling something.

Gotta admit the fabrication is excellent, bumper went back on perfectly - just the two silcone bends at the bottom, all the rest is custom made alloy right up to the throttle body / hard boost pipe.

Don't mind doing a few logs though if people see this size cooler as an option, running stage 2 mods with stage 1 map at the minute :jump:

cheers buddy,

I doubt it would handle multiple dyno runs at 450 lol but still should be more than enough than we need tbh.
Think I may invest as it looks like a clean fit without chopping the front end off lol

cheers buddy,

I doubt it would handle multiple dyno runs at 450 lol but still should be more than enough than we need tbh.
Think I may invest as it looks like a clean fit without chopping the front end off lol

No worries :)

Yeah the crash bar didn't need cutting at all as far as I could see... Came mounted to the crash bar so was easy fit really. Just had to move the horns. More than happy with it at the moment, it's weird because it actually sound quieter on boost - so I'm guessing I had some sort of small leak somewhere.

Front brakes have started squealing, so it's either new brakes or remap... I know which is the safest option, not necessary the one ill go for haha.

get some pics up of how its mounted please, looks like it done at an angle.

All good having a remap but not fun when you cant stop. quattro or not lol

get some pics up of how its mounted please, looks like it done at an angle.

All good having a remap but not fun when you cant stop. quattro or not lol

Lol true, it's gunna have to be brakes I think... Hoping to fall on a set of LCR brembos with new ds2500 pads, new discs and carriers for £200 - no such luck yet lol.

This is what the guy sent me when it was fitted to his car (I only took the two above). Pretty sure if you welded the bends on like it is on the pics you could you similar piping to AHv1 obviously at 64mm ID though lol.

FMIC by russwuss, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well last night i fitted this intercoolr kit
AUDI S3 - FRONT MOUNTED TURBO INTERCOOLER FULL KIT 20v Turbo 1.8 | eBay

This is what it looked like out of the box

The intercooler looks pretty well made and the pipes supplied are from autobahn888. They have beaded ends which is good and the silicone hoses are ASH.

We stripped it down and found this

We removed the crash bar and relorated the horns as per the Forge guide

We then cut the crash bar and mounted the intercooler using 2 bolts. We then offered the cooler and bar up to the car and it fitted like a dream!

We then removed the headlights and removed the old intercoolers. The next step was to marry up all the pipe work.
It then looked like this!

The whole kit fitted really well, the hardest part was fitting the bumper! Its still not 100%, I need to drill and tap new holes on the under side as there is no way the origional holes can be used!

This was the finished product!

I took it on a quick test drive last night and its pulling really well, all I need is a cat back exhaust to meet the 3" downpipe then its ready for stage 2!

All in all I paid £320 for the kit and I believe its an ok option for people like me who just want to go max Stage 2.

Hope you like!

Reactions: CMcKenzie
HI guys, readi ng through this thread, but cant seem to find the exact answer i want, my car will end up with about 500 bhp, currently have the forge front mount, but have suspicions it wont handle the flow required for my new setup, have gtx3071 now. what is the best Cooler for this please? and what size fmic inlets will i require?

thanks in advance for your time.

HI guys, readi ng through this thread, but cant seem to find the exact answer i want, my car will end up with about 500 bhp, currently have the forge front mount, but have suspicions it wont handle the flow required for my new setup, have gtx3071 now. what is the best Cooler for this please? and what size fmic inlets will i require?

thanks in advance for your time.

The answer is pretty much in the first post mate tbh...

The AH Fabs v1 is similar to the Forge and has the same 51mm inlet... as you can see half way down the first post after the write up I did on the v1 I posted a dyno plot showing the pressure drop across the core running mid 300's on a GT3071...

In answer to your question... the Forge is way too small for a GTX3071 and either go for the AH Fabs v2 (63mm inlet) or a Wellycooler variant (76mm inlet although Beach Buggy can do these with 63mm inlets now)... all the info on both are in this thread..

<tuffty/>

ive been looking at the same one antwan has posted about, wonder if it would help retain the fogs using the wellycooler setup?

time to shift through 20 pages of info. determined to keep my fogs and also dont want the messy pipe running up over the top of the engine. damn k03s...

Looks like a good product.

it's nice of them to make it with 3'' outlets directly off the end tanks then sleeve it down to 2.5mm for the welded on bends. Allows you to chop off the 2.5'' bends and upgrade to 3'' pipework in the future :thumbsup:

anybody tried doing a similar style to wagner motorsports, avoiding touching the crash bar?

Thermal Conductivity of copper is 401 and alluminium is 237.
So does anyone knows IC made off coopper

No... most likely because of cost... just get a decent aluminium FMIC and water/meth if you need better charge cooling

<tuffty/>

I heard the first turbo kit for the Model T rocked copper.

On a serious note, no one does it. Aluminium is tried and tested. If copper was better, I'd bet the F1 teams would be using it...

SUPERKARL i like a lot your Fmic, what is your IATs

My FMIC is the same as what can be found in this very thread

The ebay/toyosport/wellycooler option

IATs cant remember an exact figure, circa 10 degrees above ambient.

If you have very hot summers then WMI should probably be high on your priority list to supplement a decent FMIC.

what your turbo and pressure?

Can someone give turbo pressure and iat to compare...

Good find, probably the same cooler with different end tanks, 2.5inch will support in excess of 500bhp with ease,

Maybe just playing it safe?
Or they offer a bigger cooler at a higher price?

Or the design of the core.

The descriptions vary wildly on eBay.

Yeah that what I thought. They rate their version of the "lord mcwellington" cooler to 400bhp but they are the same size just with different pipe work

Hi guys, I'm going to be doing a k04 conversion on my a3 agu, I would like to have the pipe coming from the turbo outlet straight, so am I right in thinking I would need a 63-54mm reducer 100mm 63mm alloy pipe with a 63mm 90 degree silicone bend to connect up to a 300mm straight pipe? I read prawns wright up where he used 45 degree pipe and silicone hose. Also can I just confirm that I nee a 1/8th 6mm barbed tail and a 19mm dv take off?

Thanks simon

Yo, so everything is upgraded bar the smic's and the map; Ive got all the mods bar bigger turbo (which probably won't ever happen) I want to push this k04 to melting point (stably) ideally clawing my way to 300bhp on this baby turbo; is this ebay 51mm inlet/outlet kit (AH V1??)

....going to be able to keep my little glowing ball of magma cool enough, or do I need to consider 63mm ends? Small turbo, but pushed to the absolute max, bigger flow? Its purely the simplicity of this kit being able to drop straight in thats the most appealing

Or should I buy a 600x300x76 2.5 in/out and pipe it up myself? I saw tufty said 2 90 degree metal, 2 90 degree silicone, i'll need more right? Is this all the pipe work I would need to make this build?

Last edited:
Yo, so everything is upgraded bar the smic's and the map; Ive got all the mods bar bigger turbo (which probably won't ever happen) I want to push this k04 to melting point (stably) ideally clawing my way to 300bhp on this baby turbo; is this ebay 51mm inlet/outlet kit (AH V1??)

....going to be able to keep my little glowing ball of magma cool enough, or do I need to consider 63mm ends? Small turbo, but pushed to the absolute max, bigger flow? Its purely the simplicity of this kit being able to drop straight in thats the most appealing

Or should I buy a 600x300x76 2.5 in/out and pipe it up myself? I saw tufty said 2 90 degree metal, 2 90 degree silicone, i'll need more right? Is this all the pipe work I would need to make this build?

600x300x76 2,5" inlet and outlet no doubt

ok so 600x300x76 2.5" all good can find easy enough! But, bar n plate, tube n fin? Which, I've read all the benefits, negatives etc, but for 285-90hp will it really matter which? the tube n fin will let a lot more air hit the very blocked radiator, and is much lighter, thoughts? I can get one (T n F) in these exact specs for about $150

How much is this intercollers ? It really looks amazing!!!