AGU mated to mk3 tdi box

Squirrelofdoom

Reaction score
Hi guys. Recently saw a mk2 golf with an AGU lump in up for sale. I've always liked the idea of an 20vt golf mk2. But anyway, is mating a 20vt to a mk3 tdi box normal?...don't think I've heard of it before...could I swap it out for an 8L box?

Cheers,
Aran

yes that's totally normal for a mk2 20v conversion.

the mk2 runs smaller 15'' wheels, which when used with the stock AGU box gives fairly short gearing (Which is better IMO!)

Using a tdi box gives a taller final drive, so makes the car a bit more 'refined' when cruising and improves top speed in theory and economy also, but at the expense of some acceleration

Thanks guys. I'd prefer the shorter gearing to be honest, this would only be for a project / bit of summer fun, doesn't need to be refined lol.

Yeah, the car looks nice (it is the blue one on facebook :p). Needs work, but theyre standard 1.8t issues, nothing the knowledge on here can't fix! As long as the car itself is straight and true.

Given I haven't done anything engine swap related on these cars yet, anything else in particular i shohld watch out for on the conversion?

Cheers,
Aran