AGU charcoal canister delete

Erikn89nl

Reaction score
As my car is now approaching 17 years of age, I am looking to remove/replace as many of the old rubber hoses as I can. Starting by replacing the vacuum hoses by silicone ones.

When looking into doing this for the charcoal canister, I stumbled upon some threads saying people had deleted the canister altogether. From what I've seen, it's behind a check valve so the hoses will only lead to vacuum leaks, not boost leaks. I doubt the canister has ever been replaced, so the active charcoal in there won't be doing anything other than 'mechanical filtration' right now.

I've seen mention of using a 330ohm 10W resistor to prevent a faultcode, but I believe I recall @<tuffty/> mention that it is best not to use them.

Now for the actual questions:
Would removing the vac hoses attached to the charcoal canister improve reliability?
If I just remove the vac hoses and cap off the vac ports on the TB and TIP, but leave the fuel tank breather hose attached, along with the connector on the canister, would this leave the fuel tank vented, without risking vac leaks and without throwing codes?

I realise this solution might cause fuel vapour to enter the engine bay and/or cabin, if that becomes a nuisance I can reroute the fuel tank breather line to the wheel arch, I believe.

Any insight on this is much appreciated :)

Have had mixed results with resisters... mainly people using the incorrect ones or wiring them in incorrectly...

Bill now uses Integrated Engineering ones that seem to work...

You will still need certain bits to be coded out though... both SAI and EVAP will generate incorrect flow faults if not plumbed in...

<tuffty/>

AGU engine, so no SAI right? And prehistoric ECU, so not sure how much it knows about the EVAP system...