Aftermarket HU that matches Audi dashboard

• Thread starter imported_mc119856
  • Start date
I

imported_mc119856

I've been searching for a HU to replace my duff Concert & found this

Colour can be changed to all red, text is similar to climate text & its touch-screen.

Does anyone know it there's any issues with using a German HU in UK.

Shouldn't be an issue, but that touch screen volume will drive you round the bend. You have to have rotary volume in my opinion

there is only one proper replacement, thats the becker headunits. okay so they are expensive £300~ but they sound amazing, and look fantastically factory standard

becker3.jpg

not the best pic in the world, but it show how well the light matches.

I have that exact Panasonic HU, I was using it in my Mercedes CLK as a replacement for the Merc 10 unit that was factory fitted.

Great sound as it has MOSFET output stages and really powerful.

Volume control is permanently available on the front panel, so you don't have to search for it through menus.

It also has an AUX input for Ipods etc.

Mine is sitting in my spares boz with all the manuals etc.

Make me a decent offer and it's yours, or I might ebay it based on the advert I've just looked at.

Craig

[ QUOTE ]

not the best pic in the world, but it show how well the light matches

[/ QUOTE ]

The Becker does have a very close colour match & the styling fits well with an Audi dash, but i still favour the Panasonic because it has red text on black background which matches the climate display.

Well Panaonic do make the Concert HU's for Audi so you'd hope they'd use some of the bits in their own units.

Superior to Panasonic? The people that make the superb Concert HU?
Surely not? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Superior to Panasonic? The people that make the superb Concert HU?
Surely not? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Such cynicism does you no credit, Andymac. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]

How about the Nakamichi CD-400 etc. if you can still find one, that's what I'm after!

[/ QUOTE ]

there's a few on ebay right now.

don't any of you buggers go bidding on the CD400s I've been trying to catch one for a decent price for about 3 months and keep missing out!

Andy - to work in the business you do you need to be sarcastic and cynical or you wouldn't make it through the day!

You say that like it's a bad thing!!!
Cynical - experienced
Aggressive- confident
Arrogant - right
Sarcastic - humourous

If I was jolly & optimistic you'd say I was naive.
There's a negative word for every personal attribute, I think most managers have the lookup table.

Ahh that's OK then, I was gonna say that Jack Dee does alright out of it but then I'm no Jack Dee (I'm a lot taller).
I do better when writing as my brain's not quick enough in real time.
Sorry we seem to have drifted off topic as usual

[ QUOTE ]
How about the Nakamichi CD-400 etc. if you can still find one, that's what I'm after!

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't got any pics of my CD-400. Only got pics of my old CD-500 before it broke:

nakamichi01.jpg

Yippy, I'm sure it's still off topic but hey... I've just managed to win myself a CD-400 for what I think is a bargain price.

So chaps... what else do I need to fit it?

So far I've got...

Wiring adaptor
Facia Adaptor - is audi the best bet for this?
powered Aerial adaptor? I remember reading about this somewhere?

Already remembered to buy some keys to get the old one out.

Cheers, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ben.

No the Audi ones are only slightly better than the shyte Autoleads ones.
Apparently the Seat Leon ones are good, but haven't used them.

Any ideas about the aerial adpator thing Andy? which one etc, does everyone just order the stuff of caraudiodirect?

Not too worried about the fascia things yet as I want to paint them the right colour too so I'll get the autoleads ones and make them fit.

Hi Guys,

All the bits from caraudiodirect arrived this morning so I fitted the stereo, everything works fine with the engine off, however when I turn on the engine or the lights on I get a buzz from the rear channels, I'm guessing this is a ground loop to do with the amp in the sub, anyone got any ideas - there was a wire going to a spade connector on the back of the headunit - should I try using using this as the ground instead of the wire from the wiring loom?

I'm starting to wish I had gone for the whole andymac and amp solution sooner rather than later now!

Cheers,

Ben.

PS... those facia fitting adaptors are a total pisstake - they don't fit at all, and even after I cut of the bits to make them fit they don't fit flush with the dash - they stick out at the top!

I filed my adapters to sit flush, as you say the fit is awful.Connect the earth wire to the rear of the HU if you like, it cant hurt at all

Yes, you need to ground the chassis of the HU as well as the ground going into the power connector. If that doesn't work then try connecting a fatter wire to the HU chassis and connecting the other end to the chassis of the car, there's a few good earthing points behind the glovebox. The interference is most likely from the hopeless low level wiring from the HU to the rear/sub amp, the amp inside the sub takes it ground from the wiring, unlike a proper amp which would be grounded to the chassis in the boot.

Well it's definately the amp in the sub, noise stops if you disconnect the remote power and still listen to the front speakers.

I'm off to try a big cable from the earth point under the steering column to the chassis of the headunit.

ps... I'm not sure if I made it clear before, it makes this buzzing as soon as the ignition is on you don't have to start the engine!

What a pain!

ARRRRRGGGHHHH... I've just connected both the chassis and ground wire to a piece of mains earth cable and connected that to the groung point under the steering wheeel... it still does it, very very annoying so if anyone has any suggestions I'd be more than happy to hear them, if not I guess I'll be getting the sub and amp sooner than I thought!

And I think caraudiodirect have stopped selling the 6" drivers which will make life even more annoying!

Audi use a bizarre arangement on the input to their amps so you're probably experiencing a pop from the rears when you first turn the unit on as well.
The screen that is supposed to protect the pre-outs all the way to the rear amp is broken both at the HU and the amp where it breaks out to non standard connectors rather than using a fully shrouded connector which is the industry norm.
TBH if you're thinking of upgrading the sub then I'd do it now then you can irradicate all the dodgy Audi wiring and electronics and get some proper sounds in the car.
From my experience I've never had any interference issues when using a decent amp with an Audi HU, or a decent amp with an aftermarket HU. The only time I've had issues is with an aftermarket HU and the existing Audi amps.

Thanks for the replies chaps, I think short of sorting the wiring in the boot I've got no hope - and if I'm going to do that I might as well do something more permanant.

Andy do you still have any 6" drivers as it would appear that car audio direct don't do them anymore?

Yes I've still got some in stock, Bass Junkies still do them but they're a lot more expensive @ £105.

i was gonna get a CD400 in my A4 til i saw the build quality on nak HUs and the fact the preouts look like that are attached on a single strand of copper....... delicate stuff aint a great look!!!

i went with the becker...... so far NO one has noticed its not a factory unit, i`m trying to find a leon climate control unit to match the black text on the red background for it too!

PICT0034.JPG

nightshot1.jpg

nightshot2.jpg

I'd consider switching to Becker if they brought out a DAB head unit. If they don't pretty soon, it'll be a Blaupunkt Woodstock 54