Aftermarket HU Help :S

kaz219

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Car in question is my 2004/54 Audi A3 TDI S-Line DSG.

I've got an Alpine Headunit but I've wired the RED and YELLOW wires together so it stays on permanetly untill i pull the face off.

However, I now want the HU to go off when the keys come out! It gets a bit annoying taking the HU off when your just popping in somewhere for a min or so.

I cant afford the CANBUS adapter but, i was told i could get a wire from somewhere and join it with another wire in the HU (im assuming the red one) to make the HU go off when the keys come out.

I found Yoga's thread in the ICE section but it didnt say what wires.

If someone could help, I would really really appreciate it :D

My knowledge of any wires except what the wires in the headunit do is limited lol

Cheers and Thanks in Advance!

So you'll be looking for a switched feed. In the 8p you can take it straight from the fuse box as I've done for my Parrot kit. MarcQuinlivan has a nice pic of the fuse you need in the post below:

clicky

A3SwitchedLive.jpg

Hmmm... So i just shove a wire in the fuse connector and conect it to the red wire on my stereo - sounds simple enough :D

Thanks Redbutcher

But will that not cause the fuse to blow?

No problem mate.

I'm guessing your yellow wire is a permanant live and the red wire is the switched feed.

I don't think you'll have any problems with the fuse going though I'm not the worlds best car electrics bod on the forum (hopefully one of them can confirm this for you if they see this post).

All I did was remove the fuse, wrap the wire around one of the pins and shove the fuse back in - works a treat :icon_thumright:.

No problem mate.

I'm guessing your yellow wire is a permanant live and the red wire is the switched feed.

I don't think you'll have any problems with the fuse going though I'm not the worlds best car electrics bod on the forum (hopefully one of them can confirm this for you if they see this post).

All I did was remove the fuse, wrap the wire around one of the pins and shove the fuse back in - works a treat :icon_thumright:.

Nice one mate!

Cant wait till its warm again!

Get all this ****** mods out my bedroom! lol

Are you over on uk-mkivs too - recognise the car in your avator!

Yup - well spotted mate :laugh:. I used to have a MK5 Golf so used to spend most of my time over there until I got the A3.

:D Same ere - i use to have a Mk4 Autograph Edition - good cars the golf - mine just kept breaking down and when the gearbox blew for the 2nd time - i sold it lol

You need to make sure you connect to the correct pin of the existing fuse connection. If you connect to the "supply" side, the new circuit will need it's own fuse in-line to protect it. If you connect to the "load" side, the new circuit is adding to the load on the existing fuse. Depending on the existing circuit rating it's possible the new circuit may overload it and blow it.

The best way of doing it is to get a "piggy-back" fuse connector which takes 2 fuses, 1 to protect the original circuit and 1 for the new circuit created by the flying lead supplied . See below:
280116267.jpg

GeoffT - where can i get one from. Searched on the bay and stuff and cant find a decent one :S

Looked on the bay and my local Incaraudio shop but nothing :S

Thanks for that :D

You need to make sure you connect to the correct pin of the existing fuse connection. If you connect to the "supply" side, the new circuit will need it's own fuse in-line to protect it. If you connect to the "load" side, the new circuit is adding to the load on the existing fuse. Depending on the existing circuit rating it's possible the new circuit may overload it and blow it.

So which side of the fuse is the supply side then? i'm putting a parrot kit in and the kit has an inline fuse already so might as well plug it in that side...

Hello all, first post so be nice......

I will be fitting my Becker Indianapolis to my 2004 A3. Am I right in thinking i will need this CAN-BUS adaptor for the pulse singnals and reverse sensor?

If so, once I have this adaptor, what other lead will I need?

and....

Where is the best place for fascia that matches the current trim, Audi?

Thanks all

Hello all, first post so be nice......

I will be fitting my Becker Indianapolis to my 2004 A3. Am I right in thinking i will need this CAN-BUS adaptor for the pulse singnals and reverse sensor?

If so, once I have this adaptor, what other lead will I need?

and....

Where is the best place for fascia that matches the current trim, Audi?

Thanks all

Not sure on the CAN-BUS interface but I can vouch for the Audi single DIN trim as I used that with my Alpine HU and it matches the rest of the dash trim perfectly (as you'd expect).

Paul