Aftermarket ECU

Reaction score
Did a search but it's either not working for me or there isn't anything on this yet.
Looking to get an aftermarket ECU as my car has an old narrow band n can't do a lot with it n has to be done on the bench as well.
I'm wondering if anyone here has done it and kept the original loom and sensors but had a hair brush adaptor made for the ECU. Or they piggy backed the aftermarket ECU off the original to trick everything to think it's still the original but controlled fuel etc with the aftermarket.
Any insight would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emerald K6+ with adaptor loom & map sensor
Wideband convert your wiring and uise later wideband ecu another option

+more options I'm sure

I’ve done this, and I could not be happier with the conversion.

I went for an Emerald K6, with the Emerald harness adapter which retains the complete stock engine loom.

Mine was an AGU, so narrow band, cable throttle, and dumb coils, but they now do a K6+ ECU and loom adapter which will work on ME7 cars too.

It was a little daunting at first, but with no prior knowledge of mapping I was able to get the car running and driveable.

With a bit of knowledge of roughly where I should be aiming for timing and AFR, I was able to setup a target fuelling table, then use the Emeralds adaptive mapping function to effectively map itself! The self learning was so impressive, that within 20 miles, I went from a car that bogged down everywhere and wouldn’t pull, to a car that drove like it was a stock factory tune.

Once it was driving OK like that, I started work on power runs, all on road mapping, and after a few weeks of evenings, my own attempts got me to around 355bhp.

A day on the dyno at Bills saw this rise to 370bhp, and mid range improve, but even since the dyno I’ve left part throttle on adaptive and it continues to learn and get smoother.

You’ll hear lots of people tell you that you’ll lose low down driveability and daily driving suffers with a standalone ECU, but it’s really not the case if it’s well tuned, mine can take full throttle in 4th gear at 1000rpm without a hint of a stutter, and pull cleanly from 1k right through to 7.6k.

There are loads of safety features within the K6, and control limits you can map in etc, not to mention a few fun toys such as launch control, gear based boost, map switching etc. It’s a REALLY great piece of kit.

I couldn’t recommend it enough

Reactions: VAG-Slag, IPG, badger5 and 1 other person
Good bit of info, cheers. Glad it can be done with factory loom. Not sure if it's possible but I'd ideally like to keep the range until empty and mpg reading that changes depending on your foot position.
The emerald doesn't look like a bad bit of kit. I will however be going for an f88 life ECU as I can get 40% off through work. I'll also have a controller so I can turn the power down when the misses drives it...if I ever let her that is.

Only on the ECU I'm getting. Needed to know about fitment, loom and possibly sensor issues.

asks question with mind already made up and decision made

lols

Thought it was a serious question too and was about to reply with another plug-and-play option besides Emerald that works on ME7.5 DBW. But that's pointless!

I'm curious to hear about retaining Haldex function with the pre-made decision.... but "I'm still asking about standalones".

Obviously a slight misunderstanding somewhere. I wasn't asking about which ECU to use, although appreciative of any info of others, i was asking about whether standalone ecus work on the factory loom and sensors with just an adaptor plug. I'm new to standalone ecus to factory cars. I said I'm intending to use life, mainly because my boss has drummed it into me that they're the best ECU out there, but that's for what we do, not necessarily modern factory cars. I'm hoping it does everything I need it to. Just call me a noob in this area n I'm probably still not explaining myself properly.

'the best ECU out there' is a little subjective tbh...

There is nothing really wrong with the factory ECU in reality... ok the ME7 is narrow band and doesn't have some of the nicer control and protection features that a K04 based file on ME7.5 but its a pretty simple task to wideband convert a narrow band car, fit EGT/VVT and you get a very capable ECU... getting a capable tuner however seems to be the main issue with 1.8t's and factory ECU's with only a few names worth mentioning...

Saying the f88 is the best out really depends on application... I would argue there are plenty of aftermarket ECU's that are the 'best'... the Emerald was the 'best' for Prawn for example...

I still use a factory ME7.5 ECU on my setup with no issue... all subjective..

Anyway... be interesting to see how you get on with it... :)

<tuffty/>

Obviously a slight misunderstanding somewhere. I wasn't asking about which ECU to use, although appreciative of any info of others, i was asking about whether standalone ecus work on the factory loom and sensors with just an adaptor plug. I'm new to standalone ecus to factory cars. I said I'm intending to use life, mainly because my boss has drummed it into me that they're the best ECU out there, but that's for what we do, not necessarily modern factory cars. I'm hoping it does everything I need it to. Just call me a noob in this area n I'm probably still not explaining myself properly.

indeed the question/post was misleading dude fo sho
Looking to get an aftermarket ECU as my car has an old narrow band

as for "best" according to your boss.... yea whatever.. plenty of ecu's out there which will adequately do the job, and have been made with ME7 bosch plug and play in mind... loom adaptors etc... I'm sure the "life" decision it will have some support for 1.8t PnP applications... Ask your boss.. ;) Its the "best ecu" after all.

http://www.liferacing.com/?page_id=120

Seems there's a host of options... "added options" £££ ones no doubt like many ecu companies do.

http://www.liferacing.com/wp-content/downloads/Life Racing F88.pdf

Its a full monty unit.

I'd say the best is really the one that whoever is mapping it is most comfortable with.

If I was in the UK, I'd probably have stuck with ME7.5 and taken it somewhere like Badger 5 or the like for mapping. Sadly over here there's less than a handful that can map ME7.5 and most of them just tweak maps they get from overseas which is less than ideal. Anything custom was going to cost me $1500+. Going aftermarket meant I can have a much wider choice of better tuners and use the parts I wanted rather than those that fit into whatever off the shelf map they were going to tweak.

I ended up going with a Link G4+ Extreme which a few guys here have used and had good results with. It's the cheaper version of the Vipec ECU that Integrated Engineering sells. It plugs straight into the existing loom in the regular ECU spot and uses all OEM sensors. eBay had a sale on last week and I managed to get it for 15% off. Usually they go for about $1900 AUD.

http://dealers.linkecu.com/iPA1_2

I know DTA are working on a plug-in ECU and Haltech over here too (don't hold your breath on that one).

Hi guys,
I'm looking into fitting a turbo on my 2003 A3 3.2, I have not done a lot of work on cars for many years so the age of electronics and ecus has developed without me on board. This thread asks most of the questions I would like answered.
I was thinking along the lines of plug in. No specific ecu in mind. If anyone has any other ecus they rate or any more info on say the emerald K6, I'd like to hear that too.
One point that was raised by the original poster was what happens with the other functions of the car? The haldex management, the traction control, that kind of thing. Is the engine control separate from that?
Maybe I should stay with the original ecu, can you do that? I would need bigger injectors, a higher working pressure MAP sensor and a wideband O2 sensor I would think at least, could the standard ecu be reprogrammed to work with these?
That's probably enough questions for one post. :)

Hi guys,
I'm looking into fitting a turbo on my 2003 A3 3.2, I have not done a lot of work on cars for many years so the age of electronics and ecus has developed without me on board. This thread asks most of the questions I would like answered.
I was thinking along the lines of plug in. No specific ecu in mind. If anyone has any other ecus they rate or any more info on say the emerald K6, I'd like to hear that too.
One point that was raised by the original poster was what happens with the other functions of the car? The haldex management, the traction control, that kind of thing. Is the engine control separate from that?
Maybe I should stay with the original ecu, can you do that? I would need bigger injectors, a higher working pressure MAP sensor and a wideband O2 sensor I would think at least, could the standard ecu be reprogrammed to work with these?
That's probably enough questions for one post. :)
http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.p...CU-good-and-bad-points-what-s-your-experience

<tuffty/>

I'd say the best is really the one that whoever is mapping it is most comfortable with.

If I was in the UK, I'd probably have stuck with ME7.5 and taken it somewhere like Badger 5 or the like for mapping. Sadly over here there's less than a handful that can map ME7.5 and most of them just tweak maps they get from overseas which is less than ideal. Anything custom was going to cost me $1500+. Going aftermarket meant I can have a much wider choice of better tuners and use the parts I wanted rather than those that fit into whatever off the shelf map they were going to tweak.

I ended up going with a Link G4+ Extreme which a few guys here have used and had good results with. It's the cheaper version of the Vipec ECU that Integrated Engineering sells. It plugs straight into the existing loom in the regular ECU spot and uses all OEM sensors. eBay had a sale on last week and I managed to get it for 15% off. Usually they go for about $1900 AUD.

http://dealers.linkecu.com/iPA1_2

I know DTA are working on a plug-in ECU and Haltech over here too (don't hold your breath on that one).

You sure that the g4+ xtreme is just to plug in with stock loom on 1,8t? http://dealers.linkecu.com/G4X-Xtreme-Blac

Thought you needed the G4+ ttlink to get it plug and play http://dealers.linkecu.com/iPA1_2 as the Xtreme is a wirein ecu with seperate new looms?

I want a Link ecu myself but cant decide if 1,8t pnp or Xtreme wire-in, what is the difference between them?

And is ME7 early S3 with narrowband and ME7.5 later S3 with wideband? Myself, I have to travel to my neighbour country to get the S3 mapped as no tuners around really knows how to tune ME7, they say they probably can do it, but wil take much more time and end up with alot $$$$$$$....

Thanks tuffty, that's a good link, lots of info there. It's not the easiest platform to start with. Looks like the Audi ecu is the boy!!

8p A3 3.2 is essentially a Mk5 Golf R32... as much as I hate to say it there isn't much knowledge of that setup here as its not something that anyone has had a lot to do with...

You may be better off doing your initial research on an R32 based forum as the engine/ECU etc will be the same between the golf and the A3... not even sure what ECU is used on the Mk5 R32/A3 3.2... Mk4 chassis stuff was ME7 but narrow band... not sure if they went to a later ECU due to canbus comms over the older k-line..

As for other stuff... in context of an 8L getting a VR engine I have posted some info here
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-s3-8l-vr6-turbo-build.305272/

Don't know enough about the 8P platform in general let alone the 3.2 to be able to comment further though

<tuffty/>

8p A3 3.2 is essentially a Mk5 Golf R32... as much as I hate to say it there isn't much knowledge of that setup here as its not something that anyone has had a lot to do with...

You may be better off doing your initial research on an R32 based forum as the engine/ECU etc will be the same between the golf and the A3... not even sure what ECU is used on the Mk5 R32/A3 3.2... Mk4 chassis stuff was ME7 but narrow band... not sure if they went to a later ECU due to canbus comms over the older k-line..

As for other stuff... in context of an 8L getting a VR engine I have posted some info here
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-s3-8l-vr6-turbo-build.305272/

Don't know enough about the 8P platform in general let alone the 3.2 to be able to comment further though

<tuffty/>
Ok I've read all that and its kinda making sense. again not the easiest project ever and I might have to wind back my goalposts a bit.???? Anyway, thanks for helping me sort that much out anyway, the 8P is something else. I need to make a couple of phone calls now when I get a chance.
Thanks

We're building a plug and play kit for the ME7.x ECU range, but haven't finished it yet. I'm waiting for someone to send me the pinouts for the R32 engine, and then I can finalise the adaptor.
All other functions, including Haldex and dash, will still function as before.

It's not imminent, but should be in the next few months if you want to wait.

We're building a plug and play kit for the ME7.x ECU range, but haven't finished it yet. I'm waiting for someone to send me the pinouts for the R32 engine, and then I can finalise the adaptor.
All other functions, including Haldex and dash, will still function as before.

It's not imminent, but should be in the next few months if you want to wait.

Yeh I'm not in a big hurry, i have been wondering about it on and off for a bit. Just decided the other day I would start looking into it properly, I'm impressed at the level of traffic on this site and the knowledge here. Perhaps though it's my lack of knowledge that's the most outstanding feature here. I've done a turbo bike and it does have programmable ignition and its boost sensitive with a MAP sensor but it's blow through carb. I was thinking my experience with that might shed some light on this project but it's a lot different. Anyway i will be interested in that, will it be able to run different sensors like a wide band and a higher rated MAP sensor?

Emerald K6+ on mine and is best move I've ever made. Love how simple it is to use the software and make adjustments.

Can't comment in to great depth on other ECU's but K6+ still runs with haldex and fully engages it anything above 7psi. Which suits me.

I am biased though

Yes to wideband and any MAP sensor

That sounds like a good option could you email me when you have a product? I have pm'ed you my address.
Thanks

Emerald K6+ on mine and is best move I've ever made. Love how simple it is to use the software and make adjustments.

Can't comment in to great depth on other ECU's but K6+ still runs with haldex and fully engages it anything above 7psi. Which suits me.

I am biased though

Is that a engine transplant into another car build you are talking about? That's interesting also as I did not know it had the function to run that. But you say it engages at 7psi so it's switched depending on boost and not differential wheel speed as I assume the vw system uses.
It's all good info for me, thanks for adding that to the mix.

Reactions: sparrow
If going aftermarket ECU, maybe pair it to an aftermarket standalone capable Haldex ECU, eg Dutchbuild.com

dutchbuild.com said:
The Controller can use the input signals from the CAN-BUS or Analog signals
Brake CAN-BUS and Analog 12 volt signal
Speed CAN-BUS and Analog VSS signal
Throttle CAN-BUS and Analog 5 volt signal
Boost CAN-BUS and Analog 5 volt signal
Handbrake Analog Ground signal
RPM from CAN-BUS only

The Controller has a RPM output for converting CAN-BUS RPM to Analog