Aftermarket double din installation

Garagee

Reaction score
Guys and girls, I am thinking of buying a new radio for the car and tempted by these cheap multimedia units on eBay.
Can you tell me what's involved to install into original wiring looms and retain SW controls??
And these unit any good???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a non Bose system

Should be straight forward as long as it come with the quad lock then i have a xtrons 1 bout 4 years old with no problems. Stream music sat nav wheel control work fine .

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Should be straight forward as long as it come with the quad lock then i have a xtrons 1 bout 4 years old with no problems. Stream music sat nav wheel control work fine .

Thanks Martin1984 I'm looking at extrons too. Is yours a Bose or non Bose system?

Non that make it easy no problems with wires or speakers not working which happen with the bose system.

1 oyher thing do you have a single or double din installed at the mo? Not a problem if you have single as the conversion is easy just time consuming.

Double din. Extrons website saysI need to get wires swapped around on loom for non Bose

Double din. Extrons website saysI need to get wires swapped around on loom for non Bose

Thats strange as normal it the other way round but if there saying wire need swapping there should include full instruction on which ones.

any reason you are looking for cheap far eastern units, there's a good selection of main stream head units for sale for similar money....

I picked up this nice pioneer unit for a silly price and does everything except make the tea.....dvd playback and sound is outstanding....BT works spot on aswell, all my steering wheel function work too..

IMG 20161120 113229 2

Last edited:
Reactions: TOM.S
any reason you are looking for cheap far eastern units, there's a good selection of main stream head units for sale for similar money....

Rob, which ones?

I want a simple install which I can add a sub or upgrade speakers at a later point.

had no probs with mine atall, fitted it in very quick and easy, had to get a fitting kit but then that applies to a lot of installs, I have full bose with quad lock hence the full fitting kit , but, as I picked up the head unit so cheaply it all worked out nicely, look on gumtree as that where I found my pioneer unit, very pleased with it and no issues to date with it at all.
It's got a detachable front so can be removed if in a dodgy area, not that I drive in those sort of places...lol.
plenty of nice features and option for extras etc.

Because the xtrons are notorious for quiet rear speakers. They don't provide enough output to the rear even on non Bose, you'll need to wire in some Hilo converters and that's still not guaranteed to work. Seems to be hit and miss pal with the rear speakers. Trust me I know first hand haha.

found it on gumtree, £120 , bargain or what, so all in inc the full fitting kit it cost me £200.

Christ that's a bargain. What's your model number pal?

i'll have a look at the manual dani, or quicker just to look at the head unit .....i'll be back shortly.

Reactions: Dani_B19
How much haha. Someone got a bargain then.

Because the xtrons are notorious for quiet rear speakers. They don't provide enough output to the rear even on non Bose, you'll need to wire in some Hilo converters and that's still not guaranteed to work. Seems to be hit and miss pal with the rear speakers. Trust me I know first hand haha.
Not all had mine and i didnt have to swap any wires i have no problems with sound im a non bose.

Must have got lucky Martin, look at the thread in the ICE section and you'll see the rear speakers is a common fault.

Hi Peeps, Just joined today.

bought my first Audi last week, was an Alfa GTV owner for 10years pre
I have a 2006 A4 TFSI S-line Cab with the bose system 6 CD changer

Though i'd jump on this thread as well as I'm looking at getting a new head unit with sat nav.
I have been looking at the xtrons solution same as Garagee.
Glad I read the thread as had no idea about the quiet rear speaker issues.

Im considering a few ideas to pimp the head unit.

What I've managed to work out so far about the setup i have:

1 I have the RNS-E model without BT so no phone installed
2 I'm currently running SW: 0500 - HW:H73 Map:p2N060922_EN0506
3 The dvd is locked and wont eject so will need VCDS to sort that

What I would like to achieve:

1 BT with SW control for hands-free phone calls
2 better sat nav i.e update the dvd and firmware to do 7 digit postcode and voice control

How to do this:
2016 sat maps dvd from ebay £18 (not sure this will do the software update as well as the maps??)
aftermarket BT kit ebay £89.49 (not full integration with the SW buttons and loose the CD changer as it need the input)

Comes to £108

OR go down the xtrons unit route????
PF75AA4ARP
OBD02

external mic

15% off for new purchase comes to £255.82

Guess im looking for any tips tricks and advice mainly, before i go and do something stupid, many thank in advance.

I picked up this nice pioneer unit for a silly price and does everything except make the tea.....dvd playback and sound is outstanding....BT works spot on aswell, all my steering wheel function work too..

View attachment 128093

Rob, what did you need to install the pioneer. I want to keep SW controls and my Audi iPod dock in the glove box.

just purchased a connects2 full bose kit for quadlock interface for my old bus, kit includes facia and everything needed, just plugged it all in and job done, 30 mins and good to go, no probs since and my steering wheel functions work fine and BT function is excellent, my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.
I quite enjoy a trip to the supermarket now as the DVD playback and sound is 1st class.....makes a nice change to wait around for the wife and not get totally bored senseless..lol

I've decided to go with Xtrons straight fit into A4.
But, before I install is there anything I need before start?
Can I fit aftermarket speakers?

i wasn't aware any head unit was a straight fit into an A4 either single or double din except oem items, all have specific fitments and very few will just go straight in and work, unless your very lucky..

i wasn't aware any head unit was a straight fit into an A4 either single or double din except oem items, all have specific fitments and very few will just go straight in and work, unless your very lucky..

B7 figment £90 used
6c7a9bc27805332fd191e9f3d631d9db.jpg

I meant in complete fitment terms chap, hooking up all the leads etc and it working straight away without any compatability issues compared to oem repalcements.
hope it all goes well.

Reactions: Garagee
I meant in complete fitment terms chap, hooking up all the leads etc and it working straight away without any compatability issues compared to oem repalcements.
hope it all goes well.
myxtrons one did can with loads of wires with quadlock and a canbus box i had no problems.

i think you were one of the lucky few martin, a few friends of mine have bought them for a4's and bmw's and all had lots of issues , well lots would be an understatement..lol massive problem to be honest....they just sold them on ebay and went to other brands etc, I think it is more hit and miss than anything else....

i think you were one of the lucky few martin, a few friends of mine have bought them for a4's and bmw's and all had lots of issues , well lots would be an understatement..lol massive problem to be honest....they just sold them on ebay and went to other brands etc, I think it is more hit and miss than anything else....
yea well i was suprised with the issues that come up when doing a search as i thougt it was only problems for people with the bose system.

So finally decided on a Pioneer app radio. Really happy with it but having trouble connecting it up fully.
I can only get it to work if I make the switched live a constant live but then cannot turn the radio off. Also cannot get door speakers to work?
Kit was supposed to be plug and play.
Any ideas or links?

Ah yes , you've not wired it up correctly for your application.....just remind me is you ISO or quad lock , I'll fish out the my wiring diagram from pioneer.

Ah yes , you've not wired it up correctly for your application.....just remind me is you ISO or quad lock , I'll fish out the my wiring diagram from pioneer.

Quad lock with Pioneer DA 120.
Cheers Rob

Folks, can I ask; you have quad lock only if you have Bose? I ask because I bought MK1 for my Missus car and it is sat with me for the last few months. It came with quadlock connectors and everything else. Believe the wiring in my B7 is ISO (see below)
3a7641bd7256706cb3542ec322ada014.jpg

9fabff010135214bb56e63776134224d.jpg

If so, where can I get the conversion kit from?
Thanks for your help.

Folks, can I ask; you have quad lock only if you have Bose? I ask because I bought MK1 for my Missus car and it is sat with me for the last few months. It came with quadlock connectors and everything else. Believe the wiring in my B7 is ISO (see below)
3a7641bd7256706cb3542ec322ada014.jpg

9fabff010135214bb56e63776134224d.jpg

If so, where can I get the conversion kit from?
Thanks for your help.

Mine is quad lock with non bose

Reactions: V6_Man
Mine is quad lock with non bose

****** Audi, only if they had decided to keep it simple.

Cheers mate. Any pointers on where I can I get the kit from, is it Kufatec UK??