Aftermarket DAB Aerial

Chrismawa

Reaction score
I've installed a new Kenwood Double DIN with DAB and also fitted a Kenwood DAB aerial to the passenger side of the front windscreen. The DAB works but the signal strength is poor and the signal keeps coming and going. Anyone got experience with DAB aerials? Do I need a better aerial? Better location? Although it is fitted in the recommended position.

Part of mine had to be on the metal of the car, did yours?

Yeah mate I have the earth strap going behing the A-Pillar trim to the metal underneath. Aerial is situated in the top left corner of the windscreen. Im not sure if interferance could be a cause? Although im not sure how I'd check for that.

I have the same issues with mine, they au to have the top of the antenna about 15cm below the top of the screen, although mine is slightly lower but I’ve tried 2 different ones and still have the same problem.

those windscreen stick on dab aerials are garbage m8.
tried 3 different brands on my android dab head unit and they where all poo.
you could get a sharkfin for the roof but that means drilling a hole and feeding a cable through the head lining.
after pricing the cost of sharkfin and time to do the job i went with a halfords magnetic 20 quid jobbie and stuck that on the roof at the back.
works great strong signal on all stations and no dropouts.
just dont forget to remove if using a car wash m8 :icon thumright:

eddo

Cheers guys. I dont really want to put an external aerial on the car tbh. Looks like theres no solution for a decent internal aerial. The FM/DAB splitters you can get would have been perfect but they wont work with our standard aerial as im pretty sure theyre amplified.

Also depends on signal strength in your area. DAB reception is directional and much reduced transmission distance compared to FM signals. Best to buy a quality roof mounted antenna.