After run pump - leaking :(

vrbob

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!
Reaction score
Hello peeps,

Gave my car a quick service last night and when I removed the under tray I spotted some fluid on the top.

On closer inspection I believe it looks like coolant coming from the after run pump (The thing on the top left of the radiator with 2 pipes attached) the pipes are not leaking but it looks to be coming out of the housing where the pump is sealed.

So my question is what would be the part number for this? and what would I search for on ebay to see if I can find a second hand one?

Part number is on the pump... have to get the right one as the electrical plugs differ over the years... early ones had two keyways and later ones had one IIRC... (maybe the other way around)... you can tell by pulling off the wiring plug... single keyway down the middle or two side by side

<tuffty/>

Cheers chaps :)

On closer inspection it looks like the pump has some screws holding it together does that mean its serviceable? as it works ok other than the slight leak so was wondering if i could take it off and open it up and seal it with something.

If i remove it will i lose all the coolant from the car or is it high enough up that only some will be lost?

S3Dave any chance you could point me in the direction of one of these Omega ones on ebay or similar please.

Cheers

Rob

Cheers chaps :)

On closer inspection it looks like the pump has some screws holding it together does that mean its serviceable? as it works ok other than the slight leak so was wondering if i could take it off and open it up and seal it with something.

If i remove it will i lose all the coolant from the car or is it high enough up that only some will be lost?

S3Dave any chance you could point me in the direction of one of these Omega ones on ebay or similar please.

Cheers

Rob

Not serviceable I am afraid... if the engine is cold then you unscrew the two screws holding it onto the front panel, lift it up as high as you can, undo the crappy spring clips and remove the hoses one at a time keeping the hoses and the pump as high as poss... you shouldn't lose much if any coolant that way...

<tuffty/>

just found this on ebay and it looks like the one in my car

AUDI TT MK1 99-04 1.8 T SECONDARY / AUXILIARY WATER PUMP 078 965 561 | eBay

Were the 225 2001 TT`s bam engined? as then i guess it would be the same part? And its kinda cheap too which appeals to me lol.

Yeah... 225 TT's are BAM's...

For what its worth I have seen a fair few of these pumps fail recently... second hand units of similar age are not going to have loads of life in them IMO... obviously the flipside is the new pumps cost around £100 from VAG so the prices are appealing but this falls into the same category as fuel pumps IMO... these things are at the age where they are starting to fail... buying second hand parts of equal age on a part that is known to wear out just seems a little wrong...

This pump is quite important as it serves to help preserve the life of the turbo by circulating coolant after the engine has been switched off...

I would personally only buy a secondhand one to act as a stop gap until I had enough cash for a new one tbh...

Just my tuppence

<tuffty/>

Reactions: s3dave
Very true my man Tuffty and i agree whole heartedly. As infact i have been toying with the new fuel pump idea for a while now too.

I think as you say for stop gap purposes and the fact this pump os £25 delivered i may well just do it and then if and when it goes again get the new one as you say as i do realise its an important element of these engines. So for now i have bought this and will hopefully will at least solve my leak issue.

Thanks again for the help guys :)

Well my second hand TT after run pump showed up yesterday, so fitted it which was actually well easy :) did exactly what tuffty said and didn't lose any coolant at all.

started the engine and all was good no leaks at all and it runs fine. Turned off the engine and it keeps going as it should and you can feel the very hot water pumping through the hoses so all in all for £23 I think its a good fix.

I tried taking the old pump apart but 2 of the screws were so rusty the heads just snapped. So after a bit of hacksaw fun I could see the o ring was the problem as it was flat and the water had leaked into the screws hence the rust and now the leak.

Also out of interest how long is the pump meant to run after the car is switched off? and does it also run while the engine is on?