After market ICE

low610

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
Afternoon all,

My Bose head unit has developed the common volume fault and my cd changer is borken so i see this as a good opportunity to upgrade.

Does anyone have any advice/info on a head unit. I'm not looking at spending alot and would like a MP3 compatible cd player. Would also like it to blend in with the car as much as possible.

Just talked to our local Halfords who have advised i need the facia adapters (was aware of this) and i'll also need a wiring adapter at a cost of £44. Thought this was a little steep. Is this correct.?

If you could show me some piccies of your aftermarket head units that would be appreciated.

It's the 99 A4 on question.
Thanks in advance,
Rob.

Thanks for the info all,

I purchased the autoleads harness (model PC9-401) to connect the Blaupunkt Santa Cruz head unit. It doesn't work very well at all. I cannot get a radio reception even though the aerial connection fits directly into the head unit. I'm also getting alot of distortion through the speakers and there is obviously no permanent live connected at the clock settings don't remain.

I'm not sure if i should have bought the PC9-408 harness. This has proven to be alot more difficult than first thought. :)

Might give Audi a call direct and see what they think.

Any advice/info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob.

The power leads need swapping round on a B5 (constant / switched live) Audi has them the wrong way round compared to ISO specs.

You will need an aerial adapter to send power to the antenna amp at the base of the aerial (Autoleads PC5-52) or equivalent.

The adapter you are using is it sending low level line outs to the Bose amp or is it sending amplified speaker outputs?
If it is the latter then you will get distortion, switch to the low level outputs & this should cure the distortion.

Hi Timps,

Thanks for much for the info, i understand the areial amp and the swtiched/constant live but i'm not sure about the distortion problem.

Would you be able to explain what i need to do.

Thanks again for your help,
Rob.

The Bose system uses an amplifier in the boot to power the speakers
this needs a low level input not the input from the headunits amplified speaker outputs.

The back of your headunit should have connections for an external amplifier and also its own amplified speaker outputs.
Just make sure the adapter you have bought connects to the connections for an external amp and not the connections direct to the speakers.

Thanks again Timps,

Do you know if there is a harness that will deal with the connect the head unit to an external amp. I bought the autoleads PC9-401 and suspect i should have bought the more expensive PC9-408.

Looking on the autoleads website, it explains that the PC9-401 is for the BOSE - rear amplified and the PC0-408 is for fully amplified.

It's all very conusing.

Thanks for your time and patience. :)
Rob.

Hi all,

I've gone for the easy option and bought the Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB headunit.

Very nice it is too and plugs directly into the cars existing wiring loom.

The only thing i didn't get was the DAB internal aerial. Does anyone know where i can get one of these from.?

Thanks in advance,
Rob.

Thanks for the info AndyMac, i'll get one ordered.

For info, i can currently get the radio through the existing car aerial and was wondering if it is really worth going down the dab route.

Is it worth the £60.?

Also, is it easy enough to fit the dab aerial.

Thanks for your help,
Rob.

Definately, once fitted you can flip between DAB & FM and really hear the difference, plus all the extra stations. I never listen to FM, unless it flips over automatically cause it can't get a DAB signal.
It's very easy to fit, just run the cable behind windscreen pillar trim and stick to the top of the windscreen.

i'm thinking of getting the same head unit...... how does the woodstock look in the dash? can you get the illumination to the exact audi red? are you happy with the dab?