After 2 weeks of ownership.

Roadrunner146

Reaction score
Well, I've had the highs of owning a V6 supercharged. Now here starts the lows.
I've had to top the oil up twice. Now I've realised the coolant disappearing somewhere.
Hoping the oil is just a typical trait of the tfsi engine. While the coolant! Let's hope it's something as simple as a Tpiece. And not the water pump.
Does anyone know if there was a recall for the pump.
Brad.

P.S. Still love driving her. ;-)

I've read a few things saying the 3.0tfsi can get through a bit of oil.
Think i've done about 1000 miles in mine now and topped up once, not sure if it was at max when i picked it up though?!

I had an A4 2.0 tfsi before, and that burned oil.
I was kinda hoping that the 3.0 litre would be better at holding its oil.
What type of oil are the peeps on here using. I've read that using a thicker oil helps reduce the amount burned.

Yeah i got ****** at my old tfsi. Spent a fortune on oil in the 20 months i had it. I then heard about the issue of a load of recalls in the usa where audi were carrying out new engines for free. Audi took mine in for test. I had to run the car for 600 odd miles and then let them know if the sensor stated that more oil was required. Ive a feeling that they replaced it, after about 700 miles the computer said more oil was needed. Since rid of this a4.

I think I'llhave to make a visit to Audi for this consumption test.
Also wondering if I can have the work done on warranty.

There was a dedicated phone line in which to report it. Pretty sure i eas after watching watchdog on tv one night.

Thanks for the number Bibbym.
I gave them a call. It seems the only engines they have on their list are 2.0 and 1.8 tfsi's. If I'm at all concerned they said to pop it in to a local dealer to investigate.
I think I will monitor the oil usage for a more accurate complaint.

Dissappear ingredients coolant should have been from the plastic housed water pump that the early v6 had fitted. But it appears that mine has a metal housing.
When I look under the car, I can see coolant at the back edge of the bumper.
So I will have to jack the car this weekend, and remove the under cover to get a better view.

1200 miles now, and I've just added my 3rd litre of oil. ;-(.
Called my nearest dealer today, told them the problem and even they where shocked by the oil consumption.
Booked in for a consumption test next week.
I'll keep you all posted.
Brad.

We'll see.
I've read so many threads related to this issue, I don't know weather I'm coming or going.
But one thing that does look apparent is that the issue effecting the smaller engines, 1.8 2.0 , is different to the 3.0 tfsi's. Looks like it could be fixed with a breather modification.

Update.
Audi say I need to have the PCV valve replaced with the software update. They've apparently checked the pistons, and there's a small leek on one of the pistons, but no where near enough for the amount of oil I'm loosing.
And I've found the coolant leek. It's seeping from the radiator where the mounting bracket is welded to the side.
I've poured some rad weld in to see if slows it down, but I might have to replace it.
I've also struggled to replace the H8 side light bulb on the drivers side. But it seems that the bulb was not faulty.
Apart from that, she's been great driving her.