Affordable code reader for 2006 A3 8P

Gethin Jones

Reaction score
Hi, my 2006 8P Quattro 140 is due an MOT in a few weeks and as you'd expect 3 warning lights have come on. EML, DSC and ABS. Is there a cheapish code reader I can buy that will let me read the codes causing the warning lights and then clear them so I can see what I'm dealing with? I understand some of the cheap ones will only read certain codes etc so want to be certain. I was planning on using VCDS lite but the ross-tech website states it won't work with HEX-USB+CAN which IIRC is what 2006 A3's use. I have had a look on the VCDS map but there aren't any members close by and I don't really want to travel during covid restrictions if possible. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I use OBDeleven, works great, can even be used for adaptions and coding.

Audi A4 B9 3.0 TDi quattro 200 kw

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Carista is pretty decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe Carista have gotten wise to the free month thing....still pretty good though

I believe Carista have gotten wise to the free month thing....still pretty good though

Haven’t used it in ages as I have a Ross tech cable now.

Haven’t used it in ages as I have a Ross tech cable now.

Me too mate, been using them for years.

bd863078594881ac977a79d5680b6f48.jpg

OBD Eleven is an app based version of VCDS. Extremely powerful app and a very well priced dongle considering it's abilities.
Not sure if they got the Apple version sorted, but it's been around for a while on Android.

Reactions: Sibmets
OBD Eleven is an app based version of VCDS. Extremely powerful app and a very well priced dongle considering it's abilities.
Not sure if they got the Apple version sorted, but it's been around for a while on Android.

I've got the apple app version, but don't think there's as many control units as the android version although they seem to be updating all the time

I've got the apple app version, but don't think there's as many control units as the android version although they seem to be updating all the time
I think it's a newly released app on IOS, so they probably have some walled gardens to get past and some catching up to do.
I expect it will be pretty decent when they overcome some issues.