Advise on purchasing a second hand b9

badayuni83

Reaction score
Hi I hope you are all safe and well. I am after some advise please

I have the chance to purchase an a4 b9 on a 2016 plate. It has the 1.4tfsi engine in it at 40000 miles. Advise needed please

1. What are these engines like? Any known problems? Common faults etc. I have always owned the tdi engine but company car wise we get penalised for owning a diesel now. Performance wise I am not expecting anything great. Just interested to know on common faults or what to look out for

2.It's on 40k miles and only been serviced twice at audi ar 20k every 2 years. Is that a problem? I have always serviced my cars every year

3. Should I be put off by the mileage?

I have always had brand new cars via a lease agreement, deciding now to purchase outright. I have no experience with buying a used car. Any other advise will be greatly received

Many thanks

I’ll kick off;
1. No idea I’m afraid.
2. 2 years or 20k is standard variable service schedule and I don’t have any issue with that, mine is a tdi and on 93k - serviced every 19k or so.
3. See answer for 2 - mine is also 2016 and still drives like a car with 10k on the clock. Is it Audi approved used? 40k is low mileage for a 4 year old car.

I’ll kick off;
1. No idea I’m afraid.
2. 2 years or 20k is standard variable service schedule and I don’t have any issue with that, mine is a tdi and on 93k - serviced every 19k or so.
3. See answer for 2 - mine is also 2016 and still drives like a car with 10k on the clock. Is it Audi approved used? 40k is low mileage for a 4 year old car.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. No it's not approved. Approved are a lot more expensive I cant really see any value in the extra expense. The approved I have seen are not in any better condition etc

Thanks for taking the time to reply. No it's not approved. Approved are a lot more expensive I cant really see any value in the extra expense. The approved I have seen are not in any better condition etc
This is sometimes true although a positive of buying an Audi approved one is the offers they usually run such as deposit contributions, free servicing and 1 or 2 year warranty when you take out a PCP.

Agree a price take out the finance and pay it off within 14 days and you get to keep all those incentives. With this added into the mix approved used can work out better value than buying elsewhere.

Reactions: jds_sg
This is sometimes true although a positive of buying an Audi approved one is the offers they usually run such as deposit contributions, free servicing and 1 or 2 year warranty when you take out a PCP.

Agree a price take out the finance and pay it off within 14 days and you get to keep all those incentives. With this added into the mix approved used can work out better value than buying elsewhere.

I can recommend this option, I've done it for the last two cars purchased from Audi Approved Used, in both case got a deposit contribution of between £1 & £2K plus 2 free services.

Thanks for your reply. I will defo look in to that. Do you have any answers to the questions in the original post? I would be grateful for any advice

Hi I hope you are all safe and well. I am after some advise please

I have the chance to purchase an a4 b9 on a 2016 plate. It has the 1.4tfsi engine in it at 40000 miles. Advise needed please

1. What are these engines like? Any known problems? Common faults etc. I have always owned the tdi engine but company car wise we get penalised for owning a diesel now. Performance wise I am not expecting anything great. Just interested to know on common faults or what to look out for

2.It's on 40k miles and only been serviced twice at audi ar 20k every 2 years. Is that a problem? I have always serviced my cars every year

3. Should I be put off by the mileage?

I have always had brand new cars via a lease agreement, deciding now to purchase outright. I have no experience with buying a used car. Any other advise will be greatly received

Many thanks

Hi, recently bought tdi with 41k (approved used) so can only answer Q2 and 3

2. I don't think it's an issue tbh. Mine was the same, it's probably reassuring as it implies motorway miles so less wear and tear on other components.
Depends how long you intend on keeping car. You can change it to a yearly service once you buy it (like I have), as it is better in the long run. But 2 longlife major services is no issue I wouldn't think.

3. Absolutely not. As someone else posted above they have 90k+ and it still drives perfect with no issues. Great machines.

If you can buy similar spec on approved used Audi, I would try and go for it - I am finding it beneficial now for the approved used warranty if all goes through well. Plus they make sure it is of standard - for me they had new tyres and pads all round, unfortunately I've burnt through a pair already though haha!

All the best

Reactions: Bells
Thanks for your reply. I will defo look in to that. Do you have any answers to the questions in the original post? I would be grateful for any advice
Had the 1.4TFSI in my old A3 so presume it’s the same engine or at least a tweaked version, it was good in that car and economical but the B9 platform is a lot heavier so may feel quite sluggish lugging all that extra weight. If performance isn’t an issue then I’m sure it’d be fine for around town and occasional trips further afield.

With regards to the mileage and servicing I wouldn’t worry, as long as the car has been serviced within the correct intervals that’s the main thing. Personally I have always had extended warranty on all my Audis for a few hundred pounds a year (or free on used approved) it’s well worth the peace of mind, anything goes bang you’ll be covered. Wouldn’t be without it Audis can get quite expensive when it comes to buying replacement parts.

Do you get the audi warranty if buying non approved? Or an after market one?

If after market which one do you recommend. From what I have read motoreasy seems to be the only worth getting. Warranty wise, rac etc basically is not worth the paper its written on

Hi. Not sure if you bought it from an external trader that you would get any warranty etc (would be dependent on them entirely and how that trader operates, but most likely a general thing not for your car specifically).

Obviously it's not essential, but nice to have incase something goes wrong. I know Audi approved currently give you 2 years breakdown cover, 2 years MOT protection, 2 years warranty and sometimes 2 years free servicing (all that as well as fsh).

Personally, I never considered these as deciding facts when buying but I've never considered buying outside Audi network for used, just felt safer but there is no reason why yours sounds anything wrong

Afternoon All

I myself am on the market to look for a B9 A4 in the next few months. I know what trim I'm looking to get and the fuel type. I have two questions.

1. If I bought a car from a dealership outside of Audi can I then put an Audi approved warranty on the car or would I have to choose another warranty as I didn't purchase the car directly from Audi?

2. With regards to the 35tfsi and 40tfsi (both 2 litres) does anyone know the pros and cons for both engines?

Many thanks

Afternoon All

I myself am on the market to look for a B9 A4 in the next few months. I know what trim I'm looking to get and the fuel type. I have two questions.

1. If I bought a car from a dealership outside of Audi can I then put an Audi approved warranty on the car or would I have to choose another warranty as I didn't purchase the car directly from Audi?

2. With regards to the 35tfsi and 40tfsi (both 2 litres) does anyone know the pros and cons for both engines?

Many thanks
Hey,

I don't think you can 'purchase' an approved used warranty - I think that's why they encourage to buy from inside their network (plus they make a better profit!). Perhaps enquire if you are able to buy an extended warranty? I am sure the dealer will find something if you pull out a credit card - they can smell those!!

Can't comment on petrol engines I'm afraid.

Hey,

I don't think you can 'purchase' an approved used warranty - I think that's why they encourage to buy from inside their network (plus they make a better profit!). Perhaps enquire if you are able to buy an extended warranty? I am sure the dealer will find something if you pull out a credit card - they can smell those!!

You can’t buy Audi’s used approved warranty unless it’s a used approved car but you can buy Audi’s extended warranty and get a quote using the following link:
https://www.insurewithaudi.co.uk/extended-warranty

However, I’d check the small print as I’d imagine you’d have to be buying an Audi that had been serviced correctly in the past (e.g. correct service / mileage intervals) and had genuine Audi parts used to ensure this is valid. Personally I wouldn’t consider a car where this hadn’t been the case anyway.

Reactions: A4Ultra
Hey,

Cheers for that

You can’t buy Audi’s used approved warranty unless it’s a used approved car but you can buy Audi’s extended warranty and get a quote using the following link:
https://www.insurewithaudi.co.uk/extended-warranty

However, I’d check the small print as I’d imagine you’d have to be buying an Audi that had been serviced correctly in the past (e.g. correct service / mileage intervals) and had genuine Audi parts used to ensure this is valid. Personally I wouldn’t consider a car where this hadn’t been the case anyway.
Oh I see. So in theory you could buy an extended warranty as long as it has the genuine parts for the car. Thank you for that it's nice to know that.

Reactions: Bells and A4Ultra
My wife has a seat Leon with the 1.4 tfsi, its an excellent reliable engine. Great MPG an pulls very well with DSG.

As someone stated if your not looking for a performance car it would tick most boxes!