Advice

Sportaudirs6

Reaction score
hi guys

Bought an Audi A4 2.0T Quattro off eBay.. wish I hadn’t

Drove it for about 20 minutes and then the clutch pedal goes flat to the floor, comes back up as I pulled over

Then wouldn’t go into any gears at all unless the car was switched off.. what could that be?

Rung the guy I bought it off and says he did not know of any issues... he’s paid for recovery and says he will pay for the repair as he thinks it’s just a slave cylinder

Also when driving the car it felt like it had no boost, he said it had actually been remapped but did not feel quick at all

I won the auction on eBay at £1800 but agreed £2100 and paid cash as he could not sell at that price

He was been funny about giving money back but did sort the recovery out

TIA

Try mentioning the small claims court

Private sale , you will struggle to get anywhere with the seller unless you can prove it was faulty before you took possession of it, and there is the problem , proving it was faulty to start with.
Sounds like another classic ebay sale.
Not a good start really to B7 ownership.
Hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction but realistically I cant see you getting far based on the total cost of the repair.

good luck chap

Good luck and keep us updated. The fact he paid for recovery and promised to cover the repair is a great result already.

Reactions: martin1984 and Charlie Farley
agreed, but will the seller re-imburse the chap if it needs a bigger more costly fix.
If the clutch has gone , that's approx. a £1000 , I hope he does for the buyers sake but have a nagging feeling he wont.
keep us posted.

agreed, but will the seller re-imburse the chap if it needs a bigger more costly fix.
If the clutch has gone , that's approx. a £1000 , I hope he does for the buyers sake but have a nagging feeling he wont.
keep us posted.

It does sound like a hydraulic problem, though we're merely internet mechanics without seeing the car. Odd the seller was able to diagnose it....

So garage looked at it today and saying needs new clutch and flywheel £650 parts and £160 labour..

Spoke to the guy I bought it off and he finds that hard to believe as saying there was no slip on the clutch, biting point was where it should be and no judder from the flywheel, which I kinda agree with really.

Doesn’t £650 seem steep for the parts?

Hi guys .
Was having a problem with the coolant fan not working ,checked all fuses and wires for corrosion & also replaced my Coolant temp sensor ,to no joy ....
Is the coolant temp sensor just a plug and play ? Or do I need to reset the ECU .

Thanks

A4 B7 2.0tdi

Last edited:
that's seems a bit cheap for a quattro clutch and dmf, my local indy cant do it for less than £1100 , i'd be making sure of what they are fitting at that price and for £160 labour to fit a quattro clutch, i'd love a garage that has those prices.

Reactions: martin1984
So garage looked at it today and saying needs new clutch and flywheel £650 parts and £160 labour..

Spoke to the guy I bought it off and he finds that hard to believe as saying there was no slip on the clutch, biting point was where it should be and no judder from the flywheel, which I kinda agree with really.

Doesn’t £650 seem steep for the parts?

£650 is very steep last clutch and dmf I got for my 3.0tdi was £390 all in £160 is cheap for labour if they’ve done them before it’ll be 5hrs tops I got taking my gearbox out to a fine art could get box on floor in 1 hr 50 mins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Charlie Farley
let me know the address of your garage paul, they can do mine at that price.
when I bought the parts even with heavy discount they were £800 alone.

I do them rob if it’s nowt fancy just a normal Quattro I’ll do em £750-£800 parts and labour all day long

It’s more expensive on Quattro. I would have thought the 3.0Tdi would have been Quattro though

I’ve been ringing garages up and the parts is like £550 +

Been back to the car today and if you press the clutch pedal down it is vibrating now... wasn’t before :s

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
It’s more expensive on Quattro. I would have thought the 3.0Tdi would have been Quattro though

I’ve been ringing garages up and the parts is like £550 +

Been back to the car today and if you press the clutch pedal down it is vibrating now... wasn’t before :s

Ye 3.0 tdi was Quattro and I don’t know why the 2.0 tfsi clutch is more expensive I’ve not really priced one but it would be roughly the same time to do one as 3.0 tdi
£550 + what the vat or the fitting of the clutch and flywheel
It’s only the B8 chassis is more difficult with having drive shaft in the gearbox behind the flywheel they can be upto 10 hrs labour

Hopefully getting the work done Monday. The car was supposed to be stage 2 mapped but i remember it feeling quite slow tbh, didn't have any pull to it.
Could this have been due to the clutch?

unlikely, they either go like stink or they don't, i'm on 270 ish and the car is a rocket ship frankly, don't really need any more bhp , there's a limit to how much one can really use on our roads these days.
If yours is lifeless on a stage 2 then you may have other issues.

Last edited:
Ahh fml wish I hadn’t bought this. Will need to take it for a good drive once it’s fixed and see what it goes like. I’m driving an e46 330d at minute so I would have thought a4 should feel a lot quicker

Maybe it was slipping badly before it went

All Fixed now guys, had it a few days on the road now.
Havent really put foot down but does seem to accelerate as it should, just doesn't seem to have much pull or torque, not sure if these cars are like that?

Reactions: Bobbytea
All Fixed now guys, had it a few days on the road now.
Havent really put foot down but does seem to accelerate as it should, just doesn't seem to have much pull or torque, not sure if these cars are like that?

Have you checked the diverter valve? You could be leaking boost.

Saying that the B7’s power delivery is smooth and spreads its torque delivery across the Rev range - would be completely different to a Turbo diesel where you get that huge slug of torque all in one go.

Have to agree with above,
different car and different engine , so very different performance.

Thanks, i was hoping you'd say that, i look at the dials and the acceleration does seem right, its definitely not slow.
Ive had a 2.0T A3 Fwd before though and that seemed to have more pull, but thats a different engine also.

Not sure how id check the divertor valve
the car also has a RAM air induction and no back boxes on the exhaust (sounds good)

anyone near Sheffield, I could drive over and take you for a spin see what you think

Ram induction will have very little effect on performance with the B7 tsfi, lack of back boxes the same really.
If it has a performance system of some description that will help , HFC makes a big difference. along with remap.
Unless you have a recent print out or proof of the remapped ecu etc don't assume anything.
If your DV was leaking you would feel a lack of boost to start with but wont get any dash light for the leaking valve.
B7's are heavy old buses and forward motion does feel slow add to that the good quality build etc ,but it is far from that on a well sorted engine, rapid without the go kart ride etc.

Yeah, i think its just standard power but ill get the map checked anyway. The car is growing on me, guess i just had a real bad start to it that knocked all my confidence with the car, it does drive real smooth now though, nice light steering along with good grip and brakes.

A quick look under the bonnet will show up any level of tune beyond just a ecu remap, which alone would give you an increase over the stock output.

I had my clutch go the day after I bought mine last year - was on 85k and full history. Similar to you, pedal went and could only get a gear by Rev matching, once the clutch cooled I could nurse it to the garage. It can leave you feeling like you’ve bought a lemon, I know the feeling.

After plowing a fair bit of money into the old girl she’s a flyer - even before the remap she’d keep up and push a mates 2017 Audi S1 on welsh roads with surefooted grace and not really make much fuss. Taking a turn piloting the S1 following my car I was surprised how hard I had to push it to keep up...

Now I’ve had the suspension changed and a couple of nice mods including the map she’s impressive, I’m not sure what kind of machinery would be much quicker across a good B road.

A real gem these cars, which is why I still have mine and lavish endless piles of cash on her...you don't have to spend out on new kit to get a first class car.

I'm very happy with the level and performance from my special ed now and as much as more power would allways be desirable , I just don't need anymore than 270 and with quattro to control the drive , i'm very happy to stick with the way it is, and it's reliable aswell which is worth more than more power.
Suspension is brill and complements the power very well.
Next on the list are a pair of RS4 mirrors which I have yet to source , well ones worth having that is.

Just get out there and enjoy the drive, don't be a slave to fixing the car.

rob

This is the induction, does it look right?

Attachments

• 84EC424D-E205-4D51-B5EF-8A856ADFFDC7.jpeg
    84EC424D-E205-4D51-B5EF-8A856ADFFDC7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 205
Just updated my profile pic with a pic of the car also, wouldn’t let me add it here. Could do with a new grill as the surround is missing and might take the light tints off

that's airfilter setup is not going to do a great deal to be honest.
In reality the stock airbox with a decent free flowing flat panel filter works great, unless you are going into much higher bhp figures the OEM airbox setup is still a better option.

Yeah that’s fine I just wasn’t sure if it was setup right as it looks like it’s all shoved in. I know the exhaust and induction don’t make any difference really anyway but just wanted to make sure this wouldn’t affect it negatively . I think once I’ve done 1k miles on this clutch I’ll get a Dyno and then remap :) but it’s definately growing on me

They do all look a bit jammed in to be honest, it the nature of the design for the car.

This is the induction, does it look right?

Nope, they’ve just bodged that mate. That’ll be sucking in a load of hot air from the turbo/exhaust manifold which is right next to it - as it’s not protected by an enclosed heat shield.

As Justrob said get a good panel filter and replace the air box lid. You’ll probably notice a slight improvement in throttle response, but a decrease in noise levels of induction.

Yeah could do with finding an air box lid then, tried online but struggling abit