Advice with keeping my S3 off the road for a little while

sheridan94

Reaction score
Hi All

Im after some advice.
My S3 will be SORN as of next Thursday due to my insurance. (Im 21 no convictions and 2 years NCB's and last year my insurance was £1k the best I can find ANYWHERE this year is £1.7k, im 22 in 8 weeks time and ive found i can get quotes for about £700)

Therefore the car will be sitting on my drive under a car cover. My question is, what can i do to hopefully keep the car A1 until I can get it on the road. Its just had a winter service and obviously I will make sure i start the car periodically and leave it running a while.

Anything else at all?

Sorry if this sounds a little pedantic. Obviously I want my car to be as good as it is now once i get it back on the road !

Cheers

preferably handbrake off and put some silica gel sachets inside to keep any damp away.

No need to do anything. I wouldn't use a car cover as they tend to scratch/mark the paintwork flapping in the wind. The battery may be dead when you come to start it in a few weeks but no problem to jump start it again.
Strange this years premium has jumped up so much, usually it goes down. Keep looking at new quotes meanwhile, never know your luck.

Reactions: sheridan94
Thanks for the advice

The cover has been used for the last year as I have a cat who loves to walk all over it.
My plan is to start it weekly and let it run a while. We'll see how the battery is
It's a vicious circle insurance premiums I've found its not just myself where the premiums rised a fair bit in my area. Luckily I have a daily run around that's not costing the earth :)

The car cover may do more damage than the cat.
Surprised no one has mentioned brakes. Sat for two months in this weather will mean they may seize if you don't move. Ideally try and move the car even if only a few feet when you're starting it up. This will also prevent any flat spots on the tyres if you ensure it's not parked in exactly the same spot when moving backwards and forwards.

Reactions: sheridan94