Advice - RS5 Sportback - New!

firecracker69

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm pretty much there I think, but on the fence....

I currently own a 2018 white S5, absolutely love it, sounds good etc etc.... but the next step up is of course the RS5 which is my ultimate car I could ever afford. I have the chance to buy one now, pre reg, trade in my S5 and the monthly payments seem reasonable.

It is - RS5 Sportback Sport Edition, 2019, with Comfort and Sound Pack. My questions for anyone that can help please!

Does the new particulate filter damage sound that much?
Would you (in your opinion) get the RS5 over the S5?
Is it worth the extra money (in your opinion) to go from the S5 to RS5?
Servicing and Tax costs - are they much more?

I know some of this is just personal preference. I haven't test drove it as its too far away but not worried about that to be honest. I only drive my car a few times a month, so not worried on mileage or fuel etc as I barely do any! It would just be nice to hear some thoughts/opinions on should I just go for it and who better to ask than hopefully an RS5 owner of the new 2019 model.

Thanks in advance!

Does the new particulate filter damage sound that much? No.
Would you (in your opinion) get the RS5 over the S5? Yes.
Is it worth the extra money (in your opinion) to go from the S5 to RS5? Yes.
Servicing and Tax costs - are they much more? Yes.

Reactions: firecracker69
Sure you’d only regret it one day if you didn’t go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure you’d only regret it one day if you didn’t go for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're right. I'm 80% there to just getting it. Sometimes my mind just goes the S5 is enough - can pull away quick without anything keeping up, lovely drive etc, less chance of a huge depreciation, but then the RS is so special in so many ways!

Good to get some opinions tho! Thanks

Reactions: Bryant1998
It's a big decision so no surprise your a bit all over the place.
Your questions have been answered above but my two pence worth....
-RS5 looks notably better than an S5 and to me SB and coupe both look brilliant
-Sport Edition spec is a mixed bag of what Audi had left parts wise - no extended led, only part leather etc
-S5 sounds better
-S5 with a tuning box is almost as quick
-Updated RS5 coming soon although not much is changing
-You will probably get a good deal on the Sport Edition as they are not selling
-Comes with the best wheels for RS5
-RS5 is the king of the A5 range and having one would feel very good!
-New RS5 will lose MMI wheel and have dreaded touchscreen

Ultimately the above means nothing because its how you feel. Power is with you because Audi are struggling to shift these Sport Editions.

Personally I wouldn’t go from an S5 to an RS5. Would seem like a wasted opportunity in terms of changing car but the. I never buy the same car twice. I like to feel as if I’m in something different.

I also don’t like what they’ve done with these sport editions. If you have a well-specced S5 it’ll feel like downgrade in some respects.

Reactions: firecracker69 and Simonwhite2000
Lack of sound is the biggest issue for me, my RS4 sounded worse than the S5! Other than that though the RS5 is peachy.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

What's the main motivation - looks, extra grunt, or RS5 badge?

All 3 of those!

With all of the above in mind from different members:

For me, this is my ultimate 'wanted' car. I've owned many cars and more recently the BMW 335d, then the S5, and now with the deals on the RS5 these have become affordable! A month ago I was close to buying an RS3 Saloon - what put me off though is (in my opinion) the outdated interior with the big auto box, I prefer the new slim design like in my S5, plus it all looks nicer inside in my opinion.

As mentioned above the RS5's available have dropped from £71k to £57k. Now this could be concerning, or time to take advantage and I thought for me it has to be 'take advantage' :icon thumright:
I agree on certain elements, I would love full leather not part, didn't know about the extended LED and aware of the new RS5 next year but good to know it isn't changing much. As long as in a year or two I haven't lost masses of money when trading in then that's a positive for me as I always consider future re-sale. If you told me it would be worth £30k then I would have to pull out as £27k in 2yrs would be hard to swallow!!
There is nothing else of interest out there for me.... BMW nor Mercedes have the same appeal in terms of their look (in my opinion obviously).

Overall I love the look of the RS5, I also appreciate its not much of an upgrade from my S5 but it does look nicer, extra grunt and the badge and my dream car. One of my biggest reservations was sound, and is it worth the extra - which I suppose is personal to the buyer.

I really appreciate all the feedback, good, bad, indifferent. :icon thumright::icon thumright::icon thumright:
I'm almost at point of reserving...........

Lack of sound is the biggest issue for me, my RS4 sounded worse than the S5! Other than that though the RS5 is peachy.

TX.

Think it's down to the extra turbo sucking up all the exhaust gas. S4/S5 definitely sounds better than RS4/RS5. I'd rather have the extra "go" than the extra "show" though.

Reactions: Terminator x
The Milltek system for the RS5 does a great job of giving it a good sound.

Reactions: THQuattro
RS5 all the way mate.

Reactions: firecracker69 and Bryant1998
The Milltek system for the RS5 does a great job of giving it a good sound.

I’ll be honest that doesn’t sound like it’s worth the money. Only marginally better than the RS optional sports exhaust that I have on mine. Bit raspier but that’s it. Fact is a twin turbo V6 is never going to sound as good as a naturally aspirated V8 like the old one.

Last edited:
It was a bit quiet mate but seriously quick with the tuning box.
Yeah true, quicker than my RS3 out the factory (lot more torque to thank for that) then the tuning box took it to how it should have left the factory imho.

TX.

Reactions: THQuattro
What's the main motivation - looks, extra grunt, or RS5 badge?

Just buy the fecker then!

RS5 all the way mate.

Everyone that replied in this entire thread - Thank you for your input!
I was so close to reverting to an RS3 Saloon but then didn’t want to step away from my current S5 interior...... so I’ve now put my deposit down on a Glacier White RS5. I know colour seems dull to some but just my preference.

So in less than a week I pick it up, hope after all this and a lot of £££££ it’s well worth it!

Reactions: Bryant1998 and Simonwhite2000
Good man, show us pics when you get it.

Where are the PICTURES or are you out driving it all the time ?

Haha - yea sorry, forgot to upload them!

BUT equally @Evil Derboy he is right...... I got it, then sold it!

Anyway - here it was (for a few months) :)

20200229 164040 resized
20200229 163754 resized
20200229 163246 resized

BUT..... I am just in the process of getting rid of my BMW 330i (not an M5) and just put a deposit down on an RSQ3 Vorsprung. Miss the Audi brand, and before all the comments I know I know; its no RS5 but perhaps I'm just older and dont want to bend down into a car!? lol :)

Reactions: Iby_d and Pinky1959