Advice request please... B6 2.5/3.0 TDi and 3.0 petrol avants.

madgoose

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm in the market for possibly one of the models described in the thread title. After doing some research I understand that the CVT/Multitronic (being one of the same?) gearbox is a definite no go and explains why so many of the cars I have seen advertised are claiming to of had gearbox work or even replaced gearboxes at what I would consider to be very low mileage. I understand DSG would be the way to go (if you require an auto) and this is the only automatic gearbox available on the quattro models. Should I take a look at a non quattro model how could I identify the difference between a DSG and a CVT from the cabin? Am I correct to believe that the DSG has either the paddle shifts on the steering column or button selectors on the steering wheel?

I would also be interested in hearing from anybody who has owned/lived with one or more of these models and tell me of your experience, maintenance issues and also what to look out for when purchasing. Are there any typical traits or mechanical failures to be aware of when inspecting on of these B6a models?

Thanks in advance, madgoose.

The Gearbox on Quattro models is a tiptronic with a conventional torque converter. There is no dsg fitted on the diesels as it cannot stand the torque. Buy manual if possible and sleep easy...

Most CVT gearboxes have been upgraded to 7 plate clutch packs and they still pack up after a while. The 2.5 tdi after 2003 is pretty much bulletproof and only has issues with injector pumps. Early 3.0 tdi had problems with the injectors-expensive to fix about £ 250 a pop. Also chains stretch and are a pain in the proverbial to replace-engine out job ! Intake manifolds and egr/throttle flaps are also known weak points but are available aftermarket for reasonable money.
If buying a manual gearbox make sure then flywheel doesn't rattle, they are expensive to replace on Quattro models !

What is your budget and what year/trim and shape you after and folk can advise you in detail...

Personally I would stay away from the 3.0 tdi with manual gearbox, it has a weak turbo (bv50) and it's only 211 Bhp in the a4.

The 2.5 tdi is lower tax bracket, much simpler to fix and mapped with a few supporting ingredients will do 300 Bhp.

The b7 was just a facelift and offers little over what the b6 has and much dearer to tax and insure if built after 2005 !

If they did a 2.5 tdi in the b7 shape with manual gearbox and Quattro drive train I would have one in a heartbeat, sadly they only do it in FWD guise... It's not that complicated to convert though assuming one has a donor Quattro car to swap bits around !

Reactions: madgoose and pauldazzle
Thanks for your input adamss24 I have noticed your shared knowledge throughout this forum. I have read numerous reports on various forums from digruntled Audi CVT users/owners describing "take off lag" and many other issues with original 6 plate clutch packs. I understand the "take off lag" seems to be a regular "feature" and does not indicate a problem, I don't like the idea of accelerating into an anticipated space in the traffic before it actually exists. I was not aware of the issues Audis had with fuel injectors (we have experienced that issue this year with a 2011 Merc C250 AMG Coupe with less than 26,000 miles on it with full MBsevice history. Even though it was out of warranty, MB replaced the faulty parts all 2 grands worth of it at their suggestion and expense!).

I have a budget of approx £3000 (this is what it would cost to get my A3 8L up and running plus a bit http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-a3-8l-1-8se-20v-5dr-2000-230-000-miles.273506/ ). I do want a lot for my money (who doesn't) but am prepared to look far and wide. Ideally I was looking for a b6 2.5 tdi quattro sport avant but the 3.0 petrol also catches my eye. It's a shame the b7 is "just" a facelift I much prefer the shape and lines of the b6 to it. There is a 3.0 petrol on one of the auction sites with about 24 hours left on it that is in my price brcket but has almost 180,000 miles on it but has had an enourmous amount of work done to it at 144.000. I am planning on calling the advertisers later today, would it be to cheeky of me to pm the details to you and ask for your advice on it?

Can somebody explain to me how to actually go about purchasing a car on an auction site. This may sound dumb so let me explain my dilemna. I have seen a car I am interested in but it is not local in fact 200 miles away. I would like to have it inspected but do not want to pay out for a car I may no win in the auction (there is no "buy it now" price). It seems wrong to bid, win it and then say to the advertiser the purchase is subject to an inspection however he welcoming any inspection.

Can somebody explain to me how to actually go about purchasing a car on an auction site. This may sound dumb so let me explain my dilemna. I have seen a car I am interested in but it is not local in fact 200 miles away. I would like to have it inspected but do not want to pay out for a car I may no win in the auction (there is no "buy it now" price). It seems wrong to bid, win it and then say to the advertiser the purchase is subject to an inspection however he welcoming any inspection.
NOrmally when I've sold on auction I've agreed a price on it with someone & pulled the auction before it completes..

Reactions: madgoose
I had a 2.8 v6 b5 2wd petrol & now I have a 2.5v6 tdi b6 quattro

I think the petrol was much more fun to drive. The diesel is my 1st oil burner & although it is smooth power & decent torque it runs out of revs at crucial moments for overtakes etc. (It's also 6 speed box v 5 speed so narrower ratios). That said mpg is about 10 more. 35 v 25. & I think nothing of loading it up with roof box & 4 bikes & loads of gear & driving without huge difference in performance (clearly some & about 5 mpg) but not as noticeable as petrol.. both great cars. Good luck finding a decent clean one. Mine cost 3k 3 years ago but I've spent 4k on it since (it's factory standard) & now due timing belt / chain & dmf needs doing..

I had a 2.8 v6 b5 2wd petrol & now I have a 2.5v6 tdi b6 quattro

I think the petrol was much more fun to drive. The diesel is my 1st oil burner & although it is smooth power & decent torque it runs out of revs at crucial moments for overtakes etc. (It's also 6 speed box v 5 speed so narrower ratios). That said mpg is about 10 more. 35 v 25. & I think nothing of loading it up with roof box & 4 bikes & loads of gear & driving without huge difference in performance (clearly some & about 5 mpg) but not as noticeable as petrol.. both great cars. Good luck finding a decent clean one. Mine cost 3k 3 years ago but I've spent 4k on it since (it's factory standard) & now due timing belt / chain & dmf needs doing..

Thanks for the input Mothy69, I have spoken to the seller of the vehicle i have my eye on and he seems quite reasonable gave me a good verbal explaination of the cars history and understood the situation regarding paying for an inspection. Basically if the auction finishes still within my budget he is happy to accept a slight increase on the final bid subject to an inspection. As soon as the auction is over I will post details of the car and also explain it's history (as it has had a significant amount of work and upgrades) here for everybodys inspection and comments. I agree with you about a petrol car being more fun and what you have said about the gear ratios in the diesel, I also feel like you are forever changing gear in a manual diesel trying to keep your revs at the right point, not so bad in an auto, just point them in the right direction and press the go pedal.

Can anybody say whether or not cruise control comes as standard on a 3.0 quattro sport manual (petrol) I forgot to ask the guy?

Very few petrol cars i have seen came With cruise control as standard- it's an expensive option !
If you don't mind a diesel Quattro j would have a very tidy 2.5 tdi Quattro sport in the next week or so. It's very high spec: xenon lights, parking sensors, heated front and rear seats, full recaro leather interior, twin exhaust system with Powerflow tail pipes and back boxes deleted, etc. it's a saloon...

Very few petrol cars i have seen came With cruise control as standard- it's an expensive option !
If you don't mind a diesel Quattro j would have a very tidy 2.5 tdi Quattro sport in the next week or so. It's very high spec: xenon lights, parking sensors, heated front and rear seats, full recaro leather interior, twin exhaust system with Powerflow tail pipes and back boxes deleted, etc. it's a saloon...

I really am looking for an estate as I already have an MB C250 coupe and the Audi A3 is indeffinetly off the road. So I was justifying the expense of the A3 repairs, tax, MOT and insurance towards going towards an estate. Who knows you may have an estate come up the following week, if so let me know please.

Did I forget to mention that the quattro is on rails whereas the fwd while being good isn't & feels nose heavy & at risk of letting go.

Perhaps the quattro is too safe whereas the fwd always had that seat of pants feel.

What drive train are you looking at?

The avant is much more practical & imo better looking & holds value better

If you're after avant then can I interest you in a 2001 Audi v6 tdi avant Quattro ? 190k but runs well and had loads of work done to
It ! See the classifieds for details, it's advertised at £1400

Last edited:
Did I forget to mention that the quattro is on rails whereas the fwd while being good isn't & feels nose heavy & at risk of letting go.

Perhaps the quattro is too safe whereas the fwd always had that seat of pants feel.

What drive train are you looking at?

The avant is much more practical & imo better looking & holds value better

Definetly had a quattro in mind, like the sound of "on rails" as I drive my cars hard! I am surprised that you say that about the FWD but only because I have seriously pushed my A3 (8l) 1.8 se and only twice has it "stepped out" on me once intentionally and the other unexpectedley in 170,000 miles. Having l learnt to drive in the late 80s I thoroughly enjoy driving by the seat of my pants (youngster give me a very peculiar look when i say my bum tells how to drive), and am not a fan of modern computer aided driving. Don't get me wrong a bit of ABS and traction control is fine but anything more than that and I dont feel the endorphines flow the right way.

Thi is what caught my eye,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-A...airBmiZ%2FdzVtPFXdUwI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

AUDI A4 AVANT 3.0 V6 SPORT QUATTRO B6 MODEL 2002.
THIS VEHICLE HAS A FULL AND COMPREHENSIVE SERVICE HISTORY.IT HAS COVERED 178900 MILES BUT HAS BEEN METICULOUSLY MAINTAINED.
IT HAD A NEW FULLY REBUILT ENGINE FITTED AT 144000 WITH ALL GENUINE PARTS FITTED. WITH A NEW CLUTCH AND DUAL MASS FLY WHEEL.NEW CAM BELT,WATER PUMP AND GEAR BOX,DIFF OILS CHANGED AT THE SAME TIME.
IT HAD NEW SUSPENSION ARMS,BUSHES AND UPRATED SHOCKS AND SPRINGS FITTED AS WELL.ALSO HAD S4 XENON HEADLIGHTS AND AUDI DTM WHEELS FITTED.
IT HAS UPRATED EIBACH FRONT AND REAR ANTI-ROLL BARS RECENTLY FITTED.
PIRELLI P1 TYRES ALL ROUND FITTED 2 MONTHS AGO WITH ALMOST NEW TREAD.
IT HAS FULL LEATHER INTERIOR,ELECTRIC TILT SLIDE SUNROOF AND THE AUDI RNSE SAT-NAV SYSTEM AND SIX DISC CHANGER.
VERY RESPONSIBLE ON FUEL FOR A CAR WITH THIS KIND OF PERFORMANCE.
FANTASTIC CONDITION THROUGOUT MACHANICALLY AND AESTHETICALLY.
ONLY THING WORTH MENTIONING IS AC NEEDS RE GASING.
VIEWING HIGHLY RECOMENDED AND ANY INSPECTION WELCOMED.
FROM THE PICTURES IVE PUT ON YOU CAN SEE THE OIL INDICATOR ON SOMETIMES HAVE HAD THIS CHECKED BY AUDI AND ITS A COMMON FAULT IM TOLD WITH THE SENSOR IN THE SUMP BUT IS GOING INTO AUDI THIS WEEK FOR NEW SENSOR AND FULL SERVICE
THE OTHER LIGHT IS BECAUSE THE MILTEK EXHAUST HAS A SLIGHT BLOW SO BRINGS ON THE EML BUT THIS TOO IS GETTING DONE THIS WEEK ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE ASK YOU,LL NOT FIND A BETTER CAR IN THIS CONDITION ANYWHERE.
ONLY REASON TO SELL IS TRYING TO SAVE MONEY AND A DEISEL IS MY ONLY OPTION SO LOOKING FOR ANOTHER ESTATE AS HAVE A DOG TOO
ANY QUESTIONS CALL ME ON XXXXXXXXXXX BEN
Just got the car back had the new oil sensor switch done so no more oil light car is good to go any test drive welcome aa rac I don't mind cheers ben

Very good spec That ! Good luck With it if YOU bought-it !

Very good spec That ! Good luck With it if YOU bought-it !

I missed it and AM kicking myself. I spoke with the advertiser 24 hours before the auction ended explainned I was very interested but was cautious about spending £200+ on an RAC inspection then nnot to win the auction. He told me the figure he was hoping to achieve and this was still within my budget, I suggested I stay out of the auction, see where it finishes and then make him an offer subject to the inspection. He seemed OK with this but when I phoned him he said the guy who won the auction collected it within 3 hours. I first saw that car when when the advert was new but hesitated believing the insurance would be to costly but when I did eventually get around to checking out the cost of the premium (£844 fully comp £200 compulsory excess) it was do-able.

I am umming and arghing over these...
2.5 tdi
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172260400435?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172237855085?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Disappointing news. The trouble with selling cars is there is loads of time wasters. Money in your face talks..

It's a buyers market. The only thing that stops us getting a good one is impatience! (I bought mine in the rain despite having known this was a terrible idea - I got lucky as bodywork was good - apart from 1 v rusty wing which has now gone)

Disappointing news. The trouble with selling cars is there is loads of time wasters. Money in your face talks..

It's a buyers market. The only thing that stops us getting a good one is impatience! (I bought mine in the rain despite having known this was a terrible idea - I got lucky as bodywork was good - apart from 1 v rusty wing which has now gone)

I am ****** over missing that car I don't think I'll ever find one like that again but also the 3.0 petrol would of meant I would of had to become very diciplined with my miles and right foot (not a bad thing) but I do like to "just go for a drive" to de-stress of take my mind off of things, I really am cogitating over fixing up the 8L A3.Nothing wrong with the engine or gearbox (linkage could do with attention but nothing major) as it has always been seviced, cambelts, warter pumps etc on schedule, Car has never wanted for anything just now requires everything, even up and running with an MOT I would be very lucky to get £500 for it so justifying spending £1500 on it is not easy however I do not want to purchase somebody elses problems and only have the money to spend once. I was thinking of having the RAC come and analyse the engine oil to see if there is any detection of deteriation. Engine and geabox have never been out or even ever had the head off.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/audi-a3-8l-1-8se-20v-5dr-2000-230-000-miles.273506/

Also thinking very hard about possibly buying an 8L S3 I seen some low mileage cars that are stock or almost (again don't want to inherit somebody elses problems or a boyracers wet dream!)

My son has an 02 S3 which took a lot of finding about 4yrs ago .Lots have rust or bubbles in the roof.He still loves it and they seem to be holdiong value.I have his old 04 2.5tdi Q Avant auto which he still likes to drive.It was tuned right by Chris (Adamss24) when he did the belts and still starts and runs great .I intend to keep it indefinitely but the bills can be heavy.Just had a new compressor over £400 plus labour but its just right for me

My son has an 02 S3 which took a lot of finding about 4yrs ago .Lots have rust or bubbles in the roof.He still loves it and they seem to be holdiong value.I have his old 04 2.5tdi Q Avant auto which he still likes to drive.It was tuned right by Chris (Adamss24) when he did the belts and still starts and runs great .I intend to keep it indefinitely but the bills can be heavy.Just had a new compressor over £400 plus labour but its just right for me

Was that the air conditioning compressor? They are not easy on the pocket, I'm on my 3rd in the A3 8L. When the first one went Audi quoted me £775 for the part £100 labour and £100 to re-gas the system (and that was 2004 prices). Got a used part from a MK4 Golf and the Audi tech did it as a "Saturday morning job". £125 for the part and £150 for the rest... Happi....er!

Last edited:
Thats right a/c but I was told VAG ones are not long lived so best to buy new and they only charged 1 1/2 hrs labour and one regas.Wifes Mk5 golf then needed one but much cheaper.Total bill £950 so I need a heatwave or two!They are going to have to do the Golf again cos its noisy when off again they say that happens