advice regards buying a car - legal

205man

Reaction score
hi, i need some advice for my gfriend.

she is looking to buy a peugeot 206gti and having spent last couple of weekends going to look at them she found one today she likes, so wanted to buy it.

its from a dealer (not main) and i had good look round the car and found a couple small faults that they said they would fix and would put 6 months tax and full mot on it for her.

i asked for the service history which its got then asked if its been hpi checked and was it all ok to which they said yes it all ok..........so she paid £250 cash deposit and was going to collect this week

NOW THE PROBLEM:

having got home i thought id hpi it anyway and it come up CAT C total loss and no record of VIC (vehicle identity check) ???? also on dvla enquiry web site it says it has a vic marker and that 1 is required.

where does she stand is he legally obliged to declare that it has cat c history?........all she wants is her deposit back

also according to the dvla if vehicle is cat c the v5 has to be handed back in and wont be re issued until it passes a vic check, yet i saw the v5 today???????????

need to know asap as we have to drive to derby to get the cash back so not happy

Simple mate - Sale of goods act. You can't advertise something as one thing and sell it as another. I'd tell them of this and then demand your money back.

I thought only Cat D's could be fixed and re-sold?

Yes he is obliged to tell you of the car being CAT-C as you asked. Go mad and demand your money back, if he get's snotty get Trading Standards involved.

Then look at something that isn't a 206 as they're *****, Clio 172 Cup would be a far better buy or Civic Type R

cheers guys

that was what i thought and was hoping you would tell me.....

lol i wanted her to get a 205gti (im on my number 6th lol) but she didnt want that old a car so was onlt looking for something cheapish to last her til end of year when she gets her a4 cab, and she doenst like clios

Nothing wrong with a 205 GTi. The 1.9 was and still is awesome fun

They fetch good money for a clean 1.9! As do good Mk 2 Golf 16v GTI's.

I wish i'd kept my MK3 now - It was the cleanest car ever - Not even a stone-chip on it!

Last edited:
Hope you got your deposit back, the mention of 'trading standards' usually works wonders towards a garage selling cars, so they should refund you with no hesitation.

well they gave my money back and didnt agrue,.........i think the fact i may told white lie about id been speaking th the dvla etc about it this morning probably helped lol

sheers guys for the advice anyway