Advice please , think insurance company is trying to do me over!

Nessy

VW + Audi mad
Reaction score
Hi,
I’ll try and make this brief.
My 2006 A3 8P has been written off after an accident, it was insured for only 2K (my estimate) as it wasn’t worth getting an agreed value policy on it like I have with the TT.
Despite being a 2006 car with 212K miles on it the A3 was absolutely immaculate and could have almost passed for a 5yr old vehicle.
I fastidiously maintained it and have 2 lever arch files of history/bills , everything spent/done on the car has been documented.
So the company have assessed it (via photos, no physical inspection) and they’ve offered £1200.
To me this is an insult and is nowhere near what it would cost to buy anything remotely similar, on eBay cars not as nice are going for £1950-£2950.
So I contacted them and immediately they said that if it had full history they’d increase their offer by £250.
Whilst still a ridiculous offer (in my eyes) I sent them photos of my files and paperwork, only to receive a reply that my documents “weren’t acceptable” as they’re not official garage invoices etc.
I’ve never had to deal with insurance companies like this before so is this normal?
According to the Financial Conduct Authority they should be offering me a decent market value, which they’re not.
Is there anything realistically that that can be done?
I have come across on the internet an option to complain about my insurers to the Financial Ombudsman Service but don’t know whether this’ll get me anywhere?
I don’t need the settlement money to purchase another car so as far as I’m concerned this can drag on as long as it takes because to me it’s now a matter of principle.
Thanks!

Never accept their first offer, they will always try and lowball you. Get some adverts for similar spec/mileage/condition from Autotrader and forward them to your insurance company and see what they come back with.

Reactions: Raiden
Thanks, they’ve upped their offer by a measly £200 but they’re still having a laugh.
I’ll take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service if need be as they’ve been so unpleasant so far…..

Thanks, they’ve upped their offer by a measly £200 but they’re still having a laugh.
I’ll take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service if need be as they’ve been so unpleasant so far…..
Be prepared for that to take a very long time.

Just keep arguing, mine went from £1450 to £2950 in the end! I just kept on refusing their offers..

Hubby and I were just paying $300 a month for state minimums, liability only on my car and full coverage on his. We switched and DOUBLED our coverage and are now only paying $125 a month. So much better.