Advice please!!! £1000 to spend on modding 2008 S3

gordongecko

Reaction score
Hi all, my 2008 S3 warranty is coming to an end in the next couple of months. I was wary of doing any mods before this happened so I am now researching it a bit more extensively. I think it's also a good opportunity to freshen the car up a bit after 3yrs ownership as I have no intention of selling it.

My total budget is around £1000-1200ish. I was thinking stage 1 remap (not decided which map) and a miltek non-res exhaust. I will prob. also go for window tinting and have been quoted £180 for that. I am not into ramping it up bigtime so would prefer to keep things conservative, for the sake of the car and also my wallet/peace of mind. Also, is the exhaust only (no remap) worth it? Air filter maybe?

Keeping in mind my total budget I would welcome any advice. I live in SW London and have a pretty hectic work schedule so pointers on places to go for the modding would also we welcome. So far I have been looking at AMD and also Evolve. I park in the street and have no garage or extensive toolkit and am not very handy anyway, so I am not able to do any mods myself either (I was tempted by led sidelights and new rear light set but don't think it's worth the cost and am wary of screwing anything up)

not to worry matey this is the right place regarding of spending money ;)

Remember your clutch may slip after a remap so you may need to upgrade that as well.

Phil.

Where is SW London you based ad that's where I am?
Personally I would go with evolve, thata what I've got and it's a staggering map!!
If your wanting an exhaust, then a Milltek cat back non res is the way to go, they sound fantasic! And if you can stretch a CAI as well, but all that will clear you out of £1200 but worth every penny and as that's the set up I've got, you can see the figures my car is producing!
But as mentioned, remap = new clutch so will have to save for that just to be safe.

Will a remap and new clutch not send him over budget ? I thought a decent clutch was about £900 fitted ??

for a sachs with new flywheel and fitting its more like 12-1300

S3RYE - No interest in new alloys mate! Quite happy with the ones I have plus would wipe out half my budget :-/

I have thought about the clutch as a potential future problem but I am not a thrasher in the most part when driving (plus in London it's a bit difficult - speed cameras, traffic lights, traffic, pedestrians etc etc make it difficult on a day to day basis!) Do you think it will be necessary at some point or can I possibly get away with it?

jb0o - got cruise control already, to be honest don't use it much.. only place I find it genuinely useful is in 50mph average speed camera zones on the motorway :)

jungleman - I'm near Earls Court mate - you?

Firstly what is the mileage on your car? If it's not that high and the remap you go for isn't too brutal then you will be safe for quite a while on your standard clutch. Most problems I've seen to do with clutches are from people driving hard ALOT! with a very torquey map and high miles on the clutch already! Slightly different car here but A customer of mine has been running he's focus ST with one of my maps that produces 270bhp and 460Nm torque, for over 2 years now and all on a standard original clutch and still has no slip what so ever. Oh and it has 50K on it.

jungleman - I'm near Earls Court mate - you?

im down in streatham, so about 8 miles away give or take, so not a very far drive, in the next week or so im going to be getting my car serviced up at west london audi (the one just off the A4) an hopefully they should sort my misfire so can have a meet up and can come for a spin in the car so you can see what its like

Gordon I don't know what happened today. Kept getting wrong threads!:banghead:

Firstly what is the mileage on your car?

18k miles at the moment, so am only on about 6k per year

jungleman - if I'm around that would great as you seem to have a a pretty neat setup so would be good opp to get some tips from you. The west london audi is not that far from me at all, every time I drive past it I gawk at the "museum" they have set up :)

with 18k on the car, even with a map the clutch should last a bit.. but its all a bit of a lottery really and also depends how much abuse youve given it in those 18k

yea no problem, need to give them a call on monday and book it in for the work and if your about can go for a spin, yea its getting there slowly will be a while before anything else is done to it, but its at a good stage at the moment

i know, its a real distraction when your driving down the A4, need to have a wonder around it when im there haha