Advice on VW Polo

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
As part of my work, I'm investigating a dispute involving MOT work that was carried out on a 1989 VW Polo. Whilst the garage was fitting a replacement top shocker mounting bush, it left a splash plate slightly bent.

It told the customer that the reason for is that it had fitted the new bush without removing the steering rack, in order to reduce labour time and the cost of a new rack. It had saved her a lot of money by doing this, but because it was working around the rack, it made it much more fiddly & the splash plate got bent in the process.

My own technical knowledge is not that great, so can any one tell me if this sounds a plausible explanation? For example, if you remove a steering rack to work on other parts, would this mean the rack was no longer ueable, and would need replacing as well, or could it not simply be re-fitted?

Hope someone can help

put them on the rack, that's what I say.

what an absolute load of rubbish.

Maybe you should investigate:
1. the gullibility of customers
2. the average intelligence of mechanics (note those that are mechanics, i used the word average)

you don't need to remove the rack to fit top mounts, you have to undo the tie/track rod ends (the end parts of the rack) from the shox leg, but the rack stays on the car,
and if your fitting just the rubbers and not the bearings and cups aswell you can just undo the top nuts pull the leg down remove the old mount slip the new one on and then refit the top nut on pre 1994 ish polo's
ps whats the splash plate that got bent?
and if you do remove a steering rack you can refit the old one, you don't have to replace it unless its worn out or leaking if a power rack

Thanks a lot, guys, very helpful. You have confirmed what I suspected, the garage has sold the customer a load of baloney, and her credit card company believe what the garage is telling it.