advice on starting my car after 7 months

Ballcrusher

NO CAT JUST 3" STRAIT THREW
Reaction score
Website
www.incar-forum.com
as above my car has been sitting in the garage about 7 months due to the gearbox packing up. ive bought a new Battery and i just wanted to no if its fine just to turn the key or is there anything i should do before as a precaution ?

Hows it going mate, you checked the basics like oil and fluids?

After sitting for that period of time, I would feel inclined to take all the spark plugs out and clean / replace them. Whilst they are out, I would turn the engine over a few times so that the oil has managed to get around the engine a little and then put the spark plugs back in and fire her (the car!) up!

Jim...Mate where have you been?

hey guys how you all doing thanks for your advice. as for not being about for a while but the minute my gearbox went tits up and not being able to fix it i decided to go into hibernation and drive a new ford cmax lol but im going to get get the car running next week and fingers crossed my gearbox as arrived by then but the problem im having is the car is locked in gear as it took me 5hrs or so to get it into my garage but aint got a clue how to get it out.a friend said that theres some things called skates were the wheels fit into so the car can be moved about but not to sure if they can be put under the wheels as my garage aint got alot of room to move about in. But i.ll keep you all updated.

can't you just keep your foot on the clutch or has that gone as well!?

for some reason its ok to start the car with the clutch peddle pressed down but as soon as you raise the clutch peddle it stalls. it seems locked in gear weather its running or not but even trying to push with the car off and peddle flat to the floor still dont move.

has the handbrake been on whilst storing it?

Sounds like you have the same problem as me when my gearbox went, One of the diffpins came through the side of the gearbox casing on mine whilst I was on the M42 in the damp, and the whole car went sideways as the transmission locked, but I was able to coast to the Hardshoulder with the clutch dipped. Can you not get anyone to tow you out? The car should still be able to be moved, and second the seizing of the rear brakes if you had the handbrake on for 7 months.

05102006160.jpg

You can see the diff in this pic!
05102006161.jpg

wow i hope that aint happened but there was no oil or any broken bits on the floor i just slowed down in traffic then went to pull off again and nothing it kept stalling so i just turned it off and looked under the bonnet to see if any thing was loose but all seemed ok so i started her up and all seemed good but every time i tryed to pull away it just kept stalling like i was in 3rd or 4th i tryed to select a gear but ut seemed kinda stiff then i managed to get it in gear were i could pull away and it was making some grinding nois so i stopped and then thats when it lock up but it would start with the peddle pressed to the floor but would not move one inch weather it running or not even the recovery guy sais it should move with out the car running if the clutch peddle was pressed down but nope still wouldnt have it and cos it was locked in gear it took me 5 hrs or so to get it into my garage with one car jack and some plastic road work signs LOL.

wow i hope that aint happened but there was no oil or any broken bits on the floor i just slowed down in traffic then went to pull off again and nothing it kept stalling so i just turned it off and looked under the bonnet to see if any thing was loose but all seemed ok so i started her up and all seemed good but every time i tryed to pull away it just kept stalling like i was in 3rd or 4th i tryed to select a gear but ut seemed kinda stiff then i managed to get it in gear were i could pull away and it was making some grinding nois so i stopped and then thats when it lock up but it would start with the peddle pressed to the floor but would not move one inch weather it running or not even the recovery guy sais it should move with out the car running if the clutch peddle was pressed down but nope still wouldnt have it and cos it was locked in gear it took me 5 hrs or so to get it into my garage with one car jack and some plastic road work signs LOL.

Yes, a lot of grinding noise sounds familiar, if you look at my pics, you can see metal filings at the bottom of the gearbox case, that's where the gears mashed themselves up when the diff pin fired through the casing, and it didn't sound nice whilst doing 55ish(I was shifting from 4th to 5th when it happened) on the M42 I tell you, nevermind the car going sideways momentarily with Cars and HGV's around me. I could actually still select gears believe it or not, but I needed 3-4k revs to move off, and it was still grinding when I was moving! Replaced both the gearbox and clutch at the same time, as both we're damaged, luckily I sourced a box from fleabay and got it all fixed up for around £700ish at trade rates.

Hey mate,

Good luck with getting it back on road, I take it you will be getting it serviced once its up and running. Get them to change the strainner to the turbo as it can get clogged up while the car is just sitting around the for a long time and this can blow out turbos. Just a bit off advice I learnt the hard way hope this helps and good luck keep us posted.

Ams