Advice on potential new car please

Ricky Burrows

Reaction score
Evening all,

I could potentially be taking home a 2011 2.0 tdi SE (134hp) this weekend the car is on 87k miles with full service history and 1 previous owner is there anything i should be looking for/checking or potential issues i need to check? Also when are the cambelts due on these engines and just anything else in general you think i should know :)

Thank you

If you have access to VCDS that it certainly worth hooking up as it can reveal potential issues, air con pressure sensor, etc.

Not familiar with 143bhp engine, but keeping oil changes to every 10k or a year tends to pay dividends. Timing belt, Audi will have you believe it's every 114k miles, but that's nonsense. It's an interference engine, so if it pops on a frosty morning you're looking at a new engine, and on a 2011 model - that's a potential scrapper.

My rule of thumb is 60-75k miles or 5 years on a 4-cylinder diesel. Replace the water pump and idler pulley at the same time. Ultimately it's down to your attitude to risk, but for peace of mind I'd switch it.

Have a look in the scuttle area behind the engine bay and if need be - pop out the rubber drain grommets. At this time of year it can choke up with leaves and flood.

Check the exhaust central clamp, they rust like an empty can of peach slices. Mikalor stainless replacements are great replacement.

Not sure I'd saloon or avant, but check rear spring rubber seats. The metal inside the rubber bush corrodes and it's an MOT fail.

If you're keeping the car long term and considering a suspension refresh after say 120k miles, Meyle HD full arm suspension for the front can revolutionise the driving experience and eradicate you chasing knocks. Check out Dave Sterl videos on YouTube.

Reactions: Ricky Burrows
If you have access to VCDS that it certainly worth hooking up as it can reveal potential issues, air con pressure sensor, etc.

Not familiar with 143bhp engine, but keeping oil changes to every 10k or a year tends to pay dividends. Timing belt, Audi will have you believe it's every 114k miles, but that's nonsense. It's an interference engine, so if it pops on a frosty morning you're looking at a new engine, and on a 2011 model - that's a potential scrapper.

My rule of thumb is 60-75k miles or 5 years on a 4-cylinder diesel. Replace the water pump and idler pulley at the same time. Ultimately it's down to your attitude to risk, but for peace of mind I'd switch it.

Have a look in the scuttle area behind the engine bay and if need be - pop out the rubber drain grommets. At this time of year it can choke up with leaves and flood.

Check the exhaust central clamp, they rust like an empty can of peach slices. Mikalor stainless replacements are great replacement.

Not sure I'd saloon or avant, but check rear spring rubber seats. The metal inside the rubber bush corrodes and it's an MOT fail.

If you're keeping the car long term and considering a suspension refresh after say 120k miles, Meyle HD full arm suspension for the front can revolutionise the driving experience and eradicate you chasing knocks. Check out Dave Sterl videos on YouTube.
Thanks for the advice much appreciated, and no the car was a flip for me already had a buyer lined up but looks like the seller has pulled the listing 2 hours before it ended with only my bid, very frustrating especially after paying for a hpi check and freeing up a day to do the 6 hour round trip but what can you do, ill take that advice though as ill be getting the Mrs one in January anyway , thanks :)

Reactions: spartacus68