Advice on engine choice for A4 Avant B7

l.d.r

Reaction score
Hi All,

New to the forum so apologies if this has been discussed before.

I am looking to purchase an A4 Avant (B7) after 2 recent additions to the family meant I had to sell my BMW 330Ci. I have always liked the A4 and think it is a nice balance between looks and practicality.

I was initially going to buy a 2.0TDI until I started doing some research and surprisingly read a lot of horror stories about major problems with that engine. I had a 1.9 PD130 engine in a Golf TDI i had a few years back and that was great! I understand the 2.0 engine is a different lump though!

So my question is, what advice can you offer on which engine is best? I am looking for something that is reliable, is not at high risk of major failure, has good performance and is economical(ish). I will not be doing many miles, around 5000 per year max as the car is only used at weekends and for occasional short journeys in the week.

I originally wanted the diesel due to the economy and torque, but am now very concerned by the reliability. I am now looking at the 1.8T, 2.0FSI and 2.0T FSi and would welcome your thoughts on these.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

The 2.0t have problems as well and some are quite thirsty to oil. The petrol motors can be quite economically especially the front wheel drive versions which can average around 30 in town i believe and easily get 40+ open road. That said the diesels are mostly common for the balance shaft and oil pump issue.

That said the oil pump can give issues on the 2.0t as well. But considering you doing short miles I would for sure look towards the petrol option. Like most diesels they take a heavy knock on short journeys especially when it comes to economy.

The thing to watch out for is its best to read into information regarding 2.0t issues. Depending on your budget if you going towards the 2.0t route try and stretch towards the later models or the last editions before they moved to the new shape. As they have most of the revised parts. Having said that these parts will still wear but just at a lessor rate.

Personally I own a 2.0t they can be some what temperamental but reality is once you have the serious stuff looked over its a great car. If it came down to it had I known what I know now I would have probably stuck with my 1.8t 20v. As they seem alot more stronger and yes the 2.0t is easily tunable if that is your thing but the 1.8t 20v can shift if it wants to especially with 2 or 3 mods to it.

And like the 1.8t 20v the major issues really engine wises is oil pick up or oil sludge. Otherwise its just the usual minor coil packs etc.

But its down to what you want to spend and your budget. If you can try and find 1.8t and a 2.0t in your surrounding area at a garage or dealer and drive them and see what you think.

I did the exact same thing as you, researched read all the horror stories on the 2.0tdi and ran away, got wife to buy a 3.0tdi quattro instead, one year later, 4 tyres, front and rear pads, serviced a second time, 6 glow plugs and er thats it!
Do it all myself so cheap.
Excellent on fuel
Have a look on ebay look for the se models less spec but normally low miles.
Here you go, not very exciting, bit of a sleeper really Audi A4 3.0TDI auto 2005MY quattro SE | eBay
Wifes is an 05 had 56k think she paid 7k to give you an idea
Oh yeh avoid anything with a multitronic gearbox, be careful as the dealers dont always describe them correctly

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said, the 3.0 Tdi is a magnificent power plant AND economical

Thanks for the advice so far, much appreciated. I will take a look at the 3.0TDI. Does this not suffer the same issues as the 2.0? Anything else I need to be aware of with this engine?

Appreciate the heads up on the multitronic box, what is the difference between this and the auto?

The 1.9 engine was still used in the B7 range along side the 2.0tdi. Quite a bit down on poke at 115bhp but drives surprisingly well, a basic remap will take you to 145-150ish. To me the 1.9 was the last bullet proof VAG diesel with good economy, I get a minimum of 50mpg. Prices are climbing a wee bit again tho as more people avoid the 2.0lts, I recently swapped my saloon for an avant. The 3.0 economy seems to be a bit of a lottery, some get great mpg and some not so.

I have to agree the 1.9 tdi PD engine was the gold status for audi.

ANd no the 3.0tdi only suffered with injector issues and thats about it.

Thanks alot! What does everyone think of this ? Price seems a little high. Is this the multitronic box i should be worried about? It is missing parking sensors and Bose audio which i wanted, but seems to be in good condition and low milage:

Audi A4 1.8T S Line 5dr Multitronic

i was going to go diesel when i started looking at A4 's but after weighing all the pros and cons and the low milage i do per year , petrol based B7 was the best option for me.