Advice on engine change

Nmr87

Reaction score
Hi all

I am new to the forum having recently acquired (been given) a 54 plate 2.0 tdi a3 which need a new engine.

Looking for some advice in relation to the feasibility of simply getting a new reconditioned engine fitted i.e. Ball park figures for this.

The car is currently at my parents and hasn't moved for 6 months.

The plan is to get a engine off eBay and either attempt to diy it in Easter when I am back down at my parents or alternatively and dependent on price trailer the car to a garage to get it fitted.

The car is currently in the Durham area so any recommendations of better places to source an engine from or recommendations of garages would be appreciated. Or a link to a resource which shows a similar swap being undertaken.

Thanks in advance

I cant help re the cost of a recon engine, but I wanted to point you out to this, and i'm fully aware of the possibility you have thought of this already, but given that it's cost you nothing, unless you genuinely like and want to keep/use the car, this could be quite a lot of work for very little return, have you looked at the resale value for a same-spec running one? factor in that your displayed mileage wont match the new engine (even if there's less on the new engine) the value will be affected.

Obviously none of that matters if you want to keep the car, but if not, might be better to sell as it is or break up and sell, and then buy another needing much less work?

Hi there t8dpr thanks for the response. Not a huge amount of sentimental value to the car it was my cousins beforehand. I just thought that if I could do it for around a grand then I would do it. If not it will be a case of breaking the car up.