Advice on buying an A6

Dan86

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to buy an 1999 A6 2.4 Manual, can anyone tell me what to look out for common probs etc and also whats the real life mpg on these, any help appreciated.

Cheers

Hi, if the price is cheap and it's well specified, then you'll have to way it up. Although great cars, at 11 years old, best check out servicing, bearings, cv joints, door panels for closure/ accidents, look for oil around the engine, rad for leaks and try the clutch. Everything is fixable, but costs can vary. Can be a bit of a lucky dip. Good luck and keep us informed.

I've got a 1999 2.4, but mine's an auto. Things which seem to go wrong at an alarming rate on these cars at this age: suspension, suspension, suspension!! shock absorbers and the multitude of bushes on the multi link front suspension, like night follows day these will all need doing at this age if not already done. Engine breather pipe on top of engine, has the same consistancy as a digestive buscuit, part is £60 plus fitting. Cam cover gaskets go hard and leak oil onto spark plugs. power steering pipes, again go brittle and leak. Window regulators break, so window will go down but not up, part is 50p, but whole door has to come appart to fit it. Appart from this lot you should be ok!?! If running well these cars go like a dream, and my auto does 34 mpg on a fast motorway run, but be warned they are getting old and can be very costly to fix, i Know...!