Advice on buying a 2017 TDI A3 Quattro

Avant09

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to buy my first Audi and been looking at A3’s. (I currently own a VW Golf).

I am going to test drive from the main dealer a A3 2017 2.0 TDI Quattro Sport S Tronic (current mileage 43,000) and was looking on what to look out for both in the test drive and the paper work.

I know about the gearbox and the haldex being serviced. Is there anything else year I need to check for?

Thanks

kind of goes with any car, but annual oil servicing.

I think as well that the timing belt on those engines is 133k miles or 5 years, so for your car would be due this year. possibly use as a haggling chip if it's not already been done.

I've owned a 2013 2.0 TDI for 5 years and mechanically i can't fault it. I did have to get all the shocks replaced as they had started to fail, but suspect this was probably isolated to my car.

kind of goes with any car, but annual oil servicing.

I think as well that the timing belt on those engines is 133k miles or 5 years, so for your car would be due this year. possibly use as a haggling chip if it's not already been done.

I've owned a 2013 2.0 TDI for 5 years and mechanically i can't fault it. I did have to get all the shocks replaced as they had started to fail, but suspect this was probably isolated to my car.
Not isolated. Had to have the rears replaced on my 2014 Sportback at 5 1/2 years old, when one started to seep.

Reactions: Crash0090
Don't know if it still applies but EGR valves used to be a regular at 5 years old on the 2.0 170's, massive job on the Quattro as the transfer box, steering rack, crossmember etc. has to come off for access - Trust me it took me a week to do mine!!!
I also did the timing belt/water pump etc. which was not a big job. + regular servicing as has been mentioned
Audisport A3 8P s

OBviously usual checks on its history and service interludes.Marry whats been done to the official service schedule and matching MOT history and you can no more on that side of things.

Check the Haldex pump by doing a full throttle launch, if you get front wheel spin, its likely to need a proper service with the filter replacing/cleaning (Audi dont do this) and at worse a new Haldex pump.

Struts as mentioned are a weak point especially if the car has lived in speed bump prone areas.

I seem to be noticing more and more threads about MMI and Bluetooth problems appearing lately, so worth checking all functionality of the ICE.

The actual cambelt change is not required at five years. That's Audi UKs marketing team version (money maker that ONLY the UK franchise use - funny that, you'd think in the UK with mild weather climate it would be longer not shorter than somewhere like Russia) - so while you can use this to your advantage to get it done FOC or a discount, it's not strictly necessary. I've posted Audis official servicing schedule below.

A3 service sheet

Reactions: Harvey, Sandra, Potterswheel and 1 other person