Advice on brake upgrade

Baillie

Reaction score
I need new brakes as the standard ones are crap. I like the LCR set up. How much do you reckon for the fronts and rears with red stuff pads and braided hoses?

The rear brakes are beto be just left as they are, the front brakes seem to go for around £400 for a complete set.

I think the rear disk has warped so I would prefer to renew them. Who does these kits? Looking to do them in a couple weeks.

Thats a second hand price. Arent the rears the same as s3?

I need new brakes as the standard ones are crap. I like the LCR set up. How much do you reckon for the fronts and rears with red stuff pads and braided hoses?

What car have you got?

<tuffty/>

Std S3 brakes are 'ok' but your definition of 'crap' needs a little more info to be able to understand the context as even LCR brakes are 'crap' depending on how you use them and what pads/fluid you use...

Before I changed to 4 pot calipers I used Motul RBF660 fluid and Ferodo DS2500 pads on A N Other discs and the brakes were night and day transformed... having 4 pot calipers with std pads and fluid may feel better initially but if you are a 'user of brakes' then they will soon go off like std brakes and you are no better off...

As said, second hand LCR setups can be had for 400-500 quid, new/decent (I mean Brembo/AP Racing based kits) are a grand or more... there is a massive brake thread in the FAQ sticky at the top of this section... if you are on a budget then fit DS2500 pads, replace the fluid with Motul RBF 600 or 660 and just fit std pads/discs to the rear as they do no work anyway...

<tuffty/>

I'm comparing them to my qs240 which had uprated pads. I think the are a bit shot tbh. The car shudders whilst I brake from a high speed but they are fine at low speeds. Thanks for the info. Going to book it in to my mechanic for a full service and brake replacements and fluids.

As <tuffty/> says, the DS2500 pads do transform standard brakes. I had a set of them on my old A3 8L quattro (a heavy beast!) and I could not believe how much better they were, even with standard fluid.

Maybe related, but that car was written off in an accident where I happened upon a stationary line of traffic on a dual carriageway, I stopped fine, but the new A5 Cabriolet behind me didn't.... My poor car... :eek:(

I might look into these pads again for my S3.

<tuffty/>, how much of that fluid you recommend would I need to replace the standard stuff please?

I dont plan to uprate my brakes but interested in zinc plated ones that wont rust from inside & on the edges

....<tuffty/>, how much of that fluid you recommend would I need to replace the standard stuff please?

Should get away with 2 x 500ml bottles for a full fluid change... don't forget the clutch shares the same fluid and is worth a bleed on a fluid change too

I currently use ATE super blue fluid which is fine for road use imo... if you are hard on brakes though Motul would be better

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Tooks