Advice on black edition purchase

choimaloy

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking to buy a A4 black edition 2012 or 2013 plate as the old b6 1.9tdi has died so I'm looking for some advice on engine/gearbox combinations as i was looking at the 2.0 tdi manual but im not to clued up on s tronic and tiptronic, are these reliable or would it be best to stick with manual.
would much appreciate your advice.

My advice, avoid the 8 speed auto (CVT I think it's called or multitronic) I won't go into the details of how the CVT/Multitronic) gearbox works (plenty of info online) but I just hate how it operates and runs through the gears plus 8 gears is too many in my opinion.

Mine is the 2.0TDi 143BHP version which I think is the best combination of power and MPG. Easily getting above 50MPG on mixed driving. Not sure if they do the B8 2.0TDi with an S-Tronic gear box (7 speed I believe) but that would have been my choice.

CVT really only is one speed. Audi makes it seem like an 8 speed by computer trickery. If you are old enough to remeber the old DAF 33 with the variomatic gearbox then it is similar to that.

I understand how the CVT gearbox operates, no actual gears, all software controlled 'trickery'. Just wish I had known about it before purchasing my car, would never buy another car with a CVT gearbox.

I'm not saying it's a 'bad' gearbox, just not for me.

I understand how the CVT gearbox operates, no actual gears, all software controlled 'trickery'. Just wish I had known about it before purchasing my car, would never buy another car with a CVT gearbox.

I'm not saying it's a 'bad' gearbox, just not for me.

Any issues with the CVT or is it just a personal preference. Do you not like the ‘smoothness’ of CVT or is it something else? I ask as I am going to be picking up a 1.8tfsi this weekend, which has a CVT box. Although Audi CS are hell bent on making me believe it has a Tip.

I know there are many horror stories relating to CVTs but most of them were pre B7 and were fixed with the 7-clutch iteration. It is not to say these don’t give any problems but then there have been issues reported with the DSG mechatronics failures in early B8s as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zero issues whatsoever with the my CVT box, just personnel preference. It's a very silky smooth box and gives brilliant MPG, I just don't like how it holds 'gears' at a constant RPM and the way it sounds, just not right to me but again, just personnel preference. You still have manual control with the paddles or gear lever, so you can make it sound like a 'normal' gearbox if you get me :)

I've not heard any horror stories with the CVT in the B8. Just make sure it's had the required oil replacement service intervals on the gearbox, think every 75,000 but don't quote me on that.

Reactions: V6_Man
Well I went for athe 143 bhp 6 speed manual with MMI absolute lovely car, a big improvement over my b6.

Any issues with the CVT or is it just a personal preference. Do you not like the ‘smoothness’ of CVT or is it something else? I ask as I am going to be picking up a 1.8tfsi this weekend, which has a CVT box. Although Audi CS are hell bent on making me believe it has a Tip.

I know there are many horror stories relating to CVTs but most of them were pre B7 and were fixed with the 7-clutch iteration. It is not to say these don’t give any problems but then there have been issues reported with the DSG mechatronics failures in early B8s as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@Tashfeen, maybe what Audi CS is referring to is that the CVT has a tiptronic mode.

Reactions: V6_Man
I own manual, s-tronic and multitronic. The multi tronic is great at what it does. I have it in my daily A6 load lugger that cruises the motorway and it's the best suited for that.

Sure if you have any thoughts about sporty driving it is dumb and feels horrible - but why would you in a 200bhp diesel A6

It's actually best in economy mode as it doesn't hunt between fake gears.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree anymore with @DeanoC, the CVT (multitronic) is perfect for cruising up and down the motorway but not as great when you fancy a spirited drive. That's when I tend to leave it manual mode.

You just get everyone look at you weird wondering why you're riding the clutch

Reactions: JRock247
You just get everyone look at you weird wondering why you're riding the clutch

Tell me about it!

Even worse in the morning on the way to work when the car is cold, not as bad when it warms up.

Reactions: DeanoC
And this bothers you? :)
I like weirding them out. It that or snapping necks when I forget the RS doesn't change up on its own

Reactions: jdp1962