Advice - New car - How much should I pay?

Can someone also confirm whether the new 1.5 engines come with CoD like the outgoing 1.4s? I don't see any mention of it recently. - Guzza

As said the 1.5 has COD. One of the main differences between the 1.4 and the 1.5 is VGT (variable geometry turbine) turbocharger This engine is the first 'mass produced' engine to have VGT. Its been used super cars such as Porsche etc for a while now but never in mainstream cars. The variable geometry minimises turbo lag and gives diesel like torque from low RPM. 1o% increase in fuel economy is also claimed.

Cosmos is a good colour or you could go brave and pick Nano Grey, that almost has a matt appearance in some light.

Reactions: B5NUT, Guzza and Audi Bairn
As others have said - it's an absurd price to be paying for a 1.5 hatchback of that size that's knocking on a bit now and will be replaced in a year or two.

Problem is, in that price bracket you can get a lot better value for money car, that's bigger, better specced etc.

Certainly one thing to consider, is if you are planning to keep the car ten years, plan for where you will be in ten years - family, pets, new hobbies etc may mean that you need a larger car....

Cannot comment on the OP but as I'm in the same position looking at similar price for the same 1.5 engine, this is how I viewed the range. I've got 2 A6's and that's my problem, Mrs B5 needs/wants a smaller car. I'm keeping my A6 C7 for myself, but as the A6 is a DFP car we want something for shorter tips around town.

I know there are different manufactures but I'm sicking with the Audi brand, I never liked BMW, and don't like the interior of the merc, but the exterior of the merc's are very nice.. So these were the Audi Models I've looked at

A1 too small and dated interior.
Q2 same price as the A3 but discounts not as good Also the older 1.4 TFSI engine
Q3 Looks good, but the the interior & tech is back from 2012, also being replaced early next year (April time). However there will be very limited discount on the new model if any...
Q5 Too expensive, no good discounts
Q7 Too big, too expensive
A4 £8,000 More for the older 1.4 S line model, so that is out and would be even more with options (FL due next year from my understanding)
A5 Too expensive
A6, A7, A8 Too big, too expensive

So the only model left is the A3, it got FL last year, and is being replace in 2019, however it's just got the new 1.5 engine, the interior looks goo and up to date, and it has the latest MMI system. The A3 has grown up over the year's, it boasts most of the tech from it's bigger brothers, and the only lacking feature in my eye's is memory seats.

I also priced up the latest Golf and with the options I was looking at, it was only £2K cheaper, and no where near as nice to be in compared to the A3.

Only other option was the e-tron, but again that starts at £36K and you only get £2.5K government discount, if it had the full £5K then it would have been another option.

I hope in the next 7-10 years either battery tech has improved and I don't need to spend £100,000 on a tesla to get 300 miles from a charge, or people see battery powered cars for what they really are move to far cleaner manufacturing technology like hydrogen for example.

Why are people hung up on 'how much for a 1.5'

People have different requirements out of a car so I dont see the need to make critical comments about the cost when someone choses to load on the options at the expense of performance.

Reactions: Simonb1975, KenL, Reggieboy71 and 3 others

People have different requirements out of a car so I dont see the need to make critical comments about the cost when someone choses to load on the options at the expense of performance.

I think it's due to value for money and depreciation. An A3 with that many options is only going to fair a bit better on the used market, and will be worth exactly the same in trade in as a stock A3. That is a huge amount of depreciation. Currently a pre-FL A3 with decent options and low mileage is going for about £18k. That's the sort of price I would be happy with, and gives an indication of the level of depreciation the OP can expect...

New VED means they will cost practically the same as an S3, fuel costs will be pretty marginal if doing low miles, and insurance is very user specific, but if a low risk should be negligible. Such a small difference in costs vs such a large difference in performance is a no brainer for me...When you consider depreciation is always the biggest cost, the S3 might actually represent better value...!

I guess other peoples needs are different, but as it's a car, I put far more emphasis on the engine. Nothing wrong with the 1.5TFSI, I really like it, just not going to spend upwards of £30k for one!

or people see battery powered cars for what they really are move to far cleaner manufacturing technology like hydrogen for example.

OT: except that currently 96% of all hydrogen is produced from natural gas, oil or coal....

I do think it's a neat energy storage solution for excess renewable energy though.

Reactions: Jassyo06, OST and Audi Bairn

Reason is loading up any S-line model is in truth a waste of money, you'll get virtually a couple of hundred quid more than a basic spec S-line car, as these models are deemed not so desirable, only options that increase resale and desireability are S-tronic, pano-roof, bang&Olufsen maybe colour as well..... Nowt else

Reactions: DrEskimo
Yessss, that does not have anywhere near the options I wanted on my car. ;)

Also the only petrol option I can see on the A5 is the 2.0 TFSI Quattro Stroic, with a list price of £41,335, I'm not going to get that down to £25,500 no matter how hard I try.

Last edited:
Reactions: TDI-line
Interesting contradiction there, if

Options are a personal thing end of

Surely its down to the person decide what their requirements are and therefore what is or is not a waste of money. Its only a waste of money if you don't use the options you paid for.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Brumbrum1 and B5NUT
Thing is are all options a waste of money if you selling the car after 3 years? Some people hate sunroof's, not bothered about the sound system, or colour etc etc.

I'm not planning on selling the A3, it will most likely been run into the ground as it were over the next 10 years, after that it will be worth less, and most likely go in to another scrappage scheme to get rid of petrol engine because they are very bad (at that point in time)...

An A3 with that many options is only going to fair a bit better on the used market, and will be worth exactly the same in trade in as a stock A3.
I never go high with options for that reason. I know this is on a BMW, but it gives you an idea of what type of option add anything to the GFV of a car, these are over 48 months:

Options

On the above basis the options I've just ordered add nothing to my GFV. My folding mirrors, I see it as save one mirror from being knocked off and it's paid for itself! (not to mention I always forget if I've locked the car, so by looking back and seeing the mirrors in I know I have). As for tints they are just more pleasing for me to look at for 36 month, I think it sets the white A5 coupe off better :)

Yessss, that does not have anywhere near the options I wanted on my car. ;)
lol I was basing the not expensive in regards to the £36k for the 1.5 A3 ;) Which makes my A5 coupe look like a bargain ;)

The view that an S3 (perhaps in basic form) is automatically better than an A3 (with options) & spending similar money on an A3 with options is madness, is incorrect. Its personal preference.
Of course the S3 is faster, more of a head turner, more fun etc etc, but its not suitable for all of us.
My car cost approx. the same as an S3.
It may / may not turn out to cost me more over the period of ownership, but having tried both the A3 was my informed choice.
My A3 is a better choice for me and my use / needs.
If I was 21 / single / no kids etc (oh for my 205 1.9GTI with full racing stripes) then I guess it would still be the S cars, but for now I need something that's more of a compromise and a little less focussed.
No offence to any previous posts.

Reactions: TDI-line, Reggieboy71, Chris43 and 3 others
Currently a pre-FL A3 with decent options and low mileage is going for about £18k. That's the sort of price I would be happy with, and gives an indication of the level of depreciation the OP can expect...

Interesting point but I guess there'd be no "A3s with decent options" if everyone did as most people suggest and that is buy a bog standard car. Like others I bought my A3 with a lot of options but with my eyes wide open. Unlike so many on this forum I have NO plans to keep changing my car every 12-24 months, often during the PCP contract. I wonder how much they lose then, irrespective of options? I am retired and with 2 cars in the household our mileage is now quite low. By buying the car I wanted with the options I wanted I don't have buyers remorse for options I missed out on including ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Reggieboy71, Jassyo06, B5NUT and 3 others
Just in addition to my last post - my current loan provider has approved my top-up request so that's a big hurdle overcome!

Reactions: B5NUT and glospete
Interesting contradiction there, if

Surely its down to the person decide what their requirements are and therefore what is or is not a waste of money. Its only a waste of money if you don't use the options you paid for.

Just ignore me @Chris43 am just being a ****.....as long as peeps are happy that's what matters

Reactions: Tom.H and Chris43
Any word about that RS3 deal yet @jassyo06

Nope mate no calls as yet

Here is the quotation l got from the broker but on there configurator it ended up being a a £2800 discount as every added a small discount, l will call them on Monday
Screenshot 20170908 192647

Last edited:
Reactions: MattSedg
Nope mate 2 gone not a call

Here is the quotation l got from the broker but on there configurator it ended up being a a £2800 discount as every added a small discount, l will call them on Monday
View attachment 135631

U realise you have posted email and mobile no. to the world on that pic buddy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06
U realise you have posted email and mobile no. to the world on that pic buddy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So....lol worse things in life...mate ....theres always call barring and delete email....lol but if there a hot female forum member.....please feel free....lol

Reactions: Rolly12, David McQueen, MattSedg and 1 other person
I'm in the same position as the OP, I'm going for a 1.5 TFSI but with a lot of options! Now yes I could buy an S3, but it would be the base model with no options. Now I don't want or need an S3, there have been so many reports of thefts of S3's I just don't want to put my family at risk by buying one (The S3 is a sort after car, so for obvious reasons its on the scumbags radar..). Secondly my wife is wanting some of the options so unless I find more money I cannot buy the S3 with the options I want.

I'm also not planning on selling the car, will keep if for at least 7 years +, by that time I would have had my money from the options.

Also for the next 7 years the 1.5 will be a cheap car to maintain and run. Fully understand it won't be as much fun but Mrs B5 is just looking for a nice car with all of the modern gadgets.

Well said. Not everyone wants an S3.... (And that's not meaning any offence to anyone with an S3)

Last edited:
Reactions: BarryG79, Jassyo06 and Bristle Hound
So....lol worse things in life...mate ....theres always call barring and delete email....lol but if there a hot female forum member.....please feel free....lol

No Snapchat then... ;)

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Bristle Hound
Well l got the RS3 quotation back
It's not brilliant but it's better than nothing
Screenshot 20170911 171722
Screenshot 20170911 172207

You going for it Jassy?
I was thinking yeah but was told by my son, they do have higher running costs so no buying it wouldn't be a problem but running it would, but posted it proving you can get a discount, was offered more on a stock car if l took it before the end of the month

Reactions: Tom.H
I was thinking yeah but was told by my son, they do have higher running costs so no buying it wouldn't be a problem but running it would, but posted it proving you can get a discount, was offered more on a stock car if l took it before the end of the month

Makes you wonder how long they're gonna be on sale then if they're giving discounts already.