Advice needed re removal of swirl marks / scratches

jb007

Reaction score
Firstly Hi from a newbie to this forum.

In Nov 2011, I picked up my 07 Audi A4 (2.0T), S-Line Cabriolet in Misano Red, over the last few months of ownership I have noticed swirl marks and also some light scratches in the paint work, hence the request for advice.

I will be attempting to remove the marks by hand, what products would people reccomend ?

I do have some P21s paintwortk cleanser and P21s Carnauba wax - what do people think ?

My worry with the P21s is that I have owned this for at least 5 yrs, does this stuff have a use by date / shelf life ?, or are there bettter products on the market and would I be better starting from scratch (excuse the pun).

Also, is Misano Red classed as a dark colour ?

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Jonny Boy

I've not used this particular brand of products myself, however after doing some reading I would say that this is a filler product rather than removing the swirls and scratches.

When you work by hand you will be very hard pushed to remove any imperfections on the paintwork as you can not generate sufficient heat to warm the paint surface to smooth over. Therefore it generally tends to be a filler type product that I would recommend by hand - this will achieve a much smoother result.

You DO need to then cover with a wax or sealant to ensure that to seal in the fillers. You will notice however over a period of time with your maintenance washes that the fillers will eventually come out and you will need to repeat the process.

With the products you have being 5 years old take a look at the consistency to see if it looks alright. It can depend on where they have been stored and in what temperatures.

I would class Missano as a warm colour.....

Thanks for the reply, the P21 had been stored in the garage, so its quite cool, the paintwork cleanser had seperated but once shaken appears to regain its normal consistency.

I have noticed people talking about Poor boys black hole glaze, is this any good ?

Would you need a wax after this ? Any suggestions ?

Cheers

Jonnyboy

Poor boys Black Hole is a glaze that contains fillers which by hand will help to mask the swirls, however it does not contain any protection element. This means if you only use it and then wash your car the fillers will just wash out and all your hard work wasted.

As for a wax this depends on how often you are able to do it and what you want to achieve....