Advice needed please.

Audi-partner

Reaction score
Me and the wife are in the very early stages of emigrating to Australia and I'll be selling my A4 to cover some of the cost :frown new:

Any potential buyers or people that have sold their cars privately (I'll get more money) I'd just like to know what you would buy or have sold the cars with I'm terms of Mods etc.

The biggest question I guess would be regarding my remap, the car standard is the 120PS version and while it's ample for a mixture of just pottering around town and motorway miles, it isn't exactly exiting to drive. I had it mapped to 188 and it's just much better all round.

Would you buy a car that had been mapped or would I be better selling it as totally standard?

The other mods can be removed easily and are only minor tbh.

TIA

most people are put off buying a modified car, especially people with modified cars which is actually quite ironic.
I have a very modified car and know I have lost nearly all the market because of it, and I would not buy a modded car either unless very subtle things, so would personally put mine close to standard to sell with exception of the chrome deletes and anything a none car person wouldnt realise is a mod.
Non car people wanting a nice looking car will just think 'this one is much sportier than the other one we saw Deidre' and not realise it is HAS chrome deletes or tints as the black editions come with them standard.
Maybe dont mention the map in autotrader but mention it in forums ads, just let them see the car first then tell them when they view for the sake of full disclosure, sell it up on the 'improved engine economy and was recomended by Audi(if they did, my dealer actually recomended it when i bought!)'.
They are less likely to come view the car once they go 'ah this ones been messed with look its had a map, maybe not see this one', but once they see it in the flesh is a different story.
Better to ask for forgiveness as they say lol

What other mods are you worried about?

When I sold my B7 A4 I had the remap taken back off. People don't like them on 2nd hand cars.

Also (old fuddy duddy mode) how would you feel if you unknowingly bought a remapped car, crashed it and then the insurance refused to pay? You might say the buyer should notice the difference but unless you have driven an identical car how would you know what the standard car is "supposed" to feel like? So, in my opinion, either declare it in the advert or have it removed.

Also (old fuddy duddy mode) how would you feel if you unknowingly bought a remapped car, crashed it and then the insurance refused to pay? You might say the buyer should notice the difference but unless you have driven an identical car how would you know what the standard car is "supposed" to feel like? So, in my opinion, either declare it in the advert or have it removed.
I did say declare it when they come view the car.
My golf 1.8t i bought with a map laready on it from the prev owner, the advert didnt mention it and had it said i would not of gone to view it.
But when i did view the owner told me and actually i liked the car and the improvement from the map so bought it, i wouldnt of gone seen it had I know but glad i did.

Reactions: scotty76
Thanks for the replies. As you say, I'd Definately declare the map to a prospective buyer if I left it on. It'd be such a shame to remove it as the car is literally like chalk and cheese with it standard.

I just need to give myself the biggest chance of selling for the most money possible.

The only other "mods" are tinted windows (which aren't everyone's taste) wheel spacers, which can obviously be removed. I've painted the interior plastic satin black (had the awful silver as its an s-line) and I've done a full LED light conversion to interior and fogs and de-badged the rear end but left just Audi rings. So nothing major and all very subtle. I'm not really in to heavily modifying cars, just little tweeks to things I don't particularly like. I appreciate though that some people don't like it at all.

Why don't you take it with you?

Seriously, they drive on the left, Audi is an established brand there, and they have a fairly active tuning scene.

Reactions: jdp1962
Would remove the spacers and add 'tinted windows, black interior' to the advert, people dont really blink at tints as it is so commonly added.
good luck selling, I agree would be a shame with the map, if someone test drives it with awareness of the map they will either love it or hate it.
For me I loved it, would of never mapped a car before that, was very narrow minded, but glad I got it, so much nicer to drive than standard and better mpg, win win, if they have tested any others they will know :)

Reactions: Audi-partner
Why don't you take it with you?

Seriously, they drive on the left, Audi is an established brand there, and they have a fairly active tuning scene.

Just money mate, the only money I can get my hands on fairly quickly is tied up in the car. The cost of shipping it to OZ has been estimated at around 4k, which is probably around a 3rd of our overall budget to emigrate.

I'd love to be able to take it, I love the car, just can't do it unfortunately

Given you'll have to buy a new car though when you get there (at a guess) will that figure not reduce? Topped with fact it may cost more to buy an equivalent replacement if tax is higher for example.

Given you'll have to buy a new car though when you get there (at a guess) will that figure not reduce? Topped with fact it may cost more to buy an equivalent replacement if tax is higher for example.

Without selling the car, we won't be going at all. We will need a car over there, but will just get a run around until we settle in and get set up etc..