Advice Needed please as seriously annoyed

gphilla

Reaction score
Can anyone please tell me what and if any checks are carried out before a garage (namely Revo) carry out a re-map, as less than 500 miles after getting my car re-mapped ive had to be AA'd off the motorway after clouds off white smoke out the back end only to told that my turbo has let go !!!!

Should this have been prior to re-map as it seems far too coincidental for my liking !?

Any help would be much appreaciated

What's the age, mileage, engine etc?

I'd expect they'd check the levels but what else could be expected?

Chris

A good company will usually carry out basic checks and often log data to look for any abnormalities but not sure what they could have done to check the state of the turbo. Generic remaps from the bigger companies like revo are within safe parameters but will put additional stress on certain components and if a problem already exists will make it worse. On a 90k car I'd be suprised if you have much luck putting the blame soley on the remap. They will have put that map on thousands of cars without issue, and I imagine will suggest your turbo must have been on its way out and it's a risk you take modifying an older car. Sorry probably not what you wanted to hear. Good luck getting it sorted

My wife's tdi golf had the turbo go at a similar mileage without warning and no mods.

Sounds like an unlucky coincidence to me mate.

I can recommend turbo active to supply you a new or re-corded turbo.

Chris

Its up to you to make sure the car is is in good mechanical condition to be able to take the increased loading and heat.

Tough luck really, get a recon unit on there.

Wouldn't map a car with that mileage to be honest, probably had too much play. I had the turbo's go on my old car (Supra) at around that mark, but had been running higher boost for some time, and probably peaked a bit too much on a cold night :(

Also, not wanting to be the bearer of bad news, but have they checked the engine, as when my turbos went they shattered and ended up causing damage to the engine as well. No idea to what extent but was cheaper to get a second hand engine and turbos to replace, rather then go to the cost of stripping it down to find it needed repairing at a higher cost. Depends how lucky (or unlucky) you feel...

Crap feeling though, feel for you.

eco wa everyone has said mapping is normaly done at the owners risk and they normaly say it somewhere in the small print
agree with wa ur saying mind they could have checked the turbo and advised u if there was any excess play in the bearing
im in the sam boat wiv my car want it re mapped but its done 95k so ill b running the same risk
hope u manage to get it sorted tho n get bk on the road soon

no one would of checked for play on the turbo shaft on a remap

Similar happened to me but looking into it the 2.0 tdi turbo units are prone to failure approx every 100k anyway.... A remap will have just helped it on its way. Mine got to 105k before giving up. Cant really blame the remap, more a weakness in the turbo design.

I would say if you are doing a remap with that sort mileage i would have an AA mechanical breakdown warranty in place they only cost between 70-90 pounds a year and cover the first £500 on each claim which cover most of a turbo unit cost :)

Just reading your first post....I would have thought white smoke was more a coolant issue. My turbo going just threw out loads of black smoke. Maybe your egr cooler has blown in which case it will be a lot cheaper than the turbo.

just bad luck really,when its mapped they will have checked for fault codes anyway,had my 1.8t remapped at 92k,its still going by someone else at over 160k now and its still faster than my 2.0t.