Advice needed – Retrofitting Aluminium Pedal Covers (A3 Sportback)

Paul McQ

Reaction score
I planned on retrofitting the aluminium pedal covers I bought off ebay. Brake and clutch pedals were changed without a problem. The accelerator pedal on the other hand has been a total pain in the backside. I’ve seen the YouTube videos and tried fitting them from each side, putting vaseline on the (original) pedal, putting the new pedal cover into boiling water to soften the rubber and even using clamps to tighten it into place. All have been epic fails and my patience is almost done.

My next thought was to remove the accelerator pedal – one screw visible at the bottom left of the pedal and I assume 1/2 more possibly obscured by the electrical connector – to give better access. Before I do this I thought I’d ask if anyone else has done anything similar. Providing the ignition is off, am I ok to disconnect the electrical connector attached to the accelerator pedal or will this cause problems/throw up faults? I’m hoping I can just disconnect the electrical connector, take out the screws, remove the pedal, fit the pedal cover then put it back in reverse order.

Any help would be gratefully received…as 2 pedals done and 1 not looks ridiculous!

I remember it being annoying as in it took 5 minutes not 10 seconds you sure you have it the right way round ?

D45AE908 3E2F 49DC 899F F151D696C647

Yep, right way round but it refuses to go over the rim of the existing pedal no matter how hard I try. Why it couldn't have been a push fit like the other 2 pedals is a mystery to me.

Tried putting the cover in boiling water and it wouldn't go over the pedal! £14 off ebay so not OEM. Taking off the whole pedal to get better access was my last resort - but bothered it would trigger faults (?).

From looking online it seems there's only 1 retaining screw and l had assumed there'd be at least 2.

Tried putting the cover in boiling water and it wouldn't go over the pedal! £14 off ebay so not OEM. Taking off the whole pedal to get better access was my last resort - but bothered it would trigger faults (?).

From looking online it seems there's only 1 retaining screw and l had assumed there'd be at least 2.
I believe there is one screw but cannot remember for sure. No errors as long as you leave ignition off, have done this before when a forum member snapped his pedal box connector tab :)

Reactions: Paul McQ
What i did was smear a small bit of washing up liquid down the outer edge of one of the sides of the rubber(on the cover not the pedal). Then place the non liquid edge on first then with your fingers and the palm of your hand squeeze as hard as you can, it will just slide over the edge and pop right in!

Last edited: