ADVICE? Glow Plug Flashed - No Limp Mode - Overboost

Kyle Pratt

Reaction score
Hi,
So, this morning I was driving my 07 A3 down the M1 about 60ish mph in 5th touching 250-300,00 rpm.
All of a sudden the glow plug light lit up flashing, so obviously pulled in where I could and switched off the engine. Switched it back on and the light didn't show, carried on driving for 40 miles, no lights, no problems.
Reading some other posts with similar warning lights, they have mentioned the car going into limp mode, I cant say this happened with me, I had no loss of power whatsoever from what I noticed.
I ran diagnostics when I got home and got this:
000564 - Boost pressure regulation: Limit exceeded (Overboost condition)

I should note that past month or so I have noticed white fumes from the exhaust for the first 5 or so minutes driving on a cold start - not sure if related or not.
The only other power related issue ive had with the car was about a month ago I tried to floor it going around a parked car and it basically kangarooed like real jumpy, not the smooth power increase I'm used to, thought nothing of it at the time though.
Cars on 69,000 miles at the minute, just dreading it being a new turbo job as I was hoping to get rid of the motor in a few months time for an upgrade, perhaps if its going to cost me big bucks its an excuse to upgrade early!
Any help diagnosing what this could be/how much its gonna set me back would be hugely appreciated!

My 140 BKD did all of the above, I needed a new turbo to fix it.

Worrying thing is it did it again last week, only around 6 months ago when I had the new turbo!

My previous 8P BKD had a new turbo and it went again after 6 months as well. Anyway Kyle, you should get your turbo checked probably.

As for white fumes, is the car using any coolant? Because it is either burning coolant or runs lean.

white smoke for the first few mins of driving is fine - low engine temps causing incomplete burning.

Once the engine has warmed up it should clear - if it doesn't then you have an issue, but for the first few mins with it being cold atm is fine I'd say