Advice From Existing UK RS3 Owners

akeithj

Reaction score
This will be my first RS of any description and the first car that I have not leased in around 10 years. The beauty of leasing is that you know exactly how much the car is going to cost you at the start of your contract and you don't tend to worry about mileage etc because if you stick within the terms of the contract there are no penalties.
My perception is that some perspective owners and existing owners don't seem to use their cars as daily drivers maybe only doing 3-5,000 miles per annum.
Quite a lot of the cars for sale have quite low mileages for the age of the car implying that they are not daily drivers I would welcome any comments regarding the effect mileage has on value. I am thinking that as long as the car has a decent spec and does around 8,000 mpa that the effect on value will not be that significant compared to a car that only does 2-3k per annum?
I have been thinking about getting a cheap run around for the winter, but don't know if I should bother.

Reactions: Rs1
Hello akeithj - Not necessarily in this order, I would say a good spec, well maintained (serviced etc) and well cared for (valeted etc) will help to negate any mileage offset. A used machine but not thrashed could be more attractive to some buyers than a barely used garage queen. Regards my comment earlier when I was showing my first Mk6 Golf R to a perspective buyer his mind was pretty much made up when I opened the garage door and he saw how clean the exhaust pipe was both inside and out - he said he was looking for that sort of attention!! I confess that isn't the 24/7 norm for me, but when I'm selling a car, I do try to make it look its best :)

Regards buying a cheap run around for winter........ Why miss the enjoyment of what you've strived for? I am a firm believer in having a set of winter wheels and tyres, which give you a great opportunity to give your summers a well detailed clean at your leasure over the winter period and vice versa with the winters.

Hey this is all just my 2p worth........ I don't see the RS3 as an exotic that needs to be pretty much kept on a pedestal and only used on dry sunny days. I also work on the rule of thumb that it'll be worth 50% of the new price at three years old. After all motoring ain't cheap and if you want the fun and luxury of an RS3 somebodies gotta pay for it :)

Reactions: 45bvtc and Rs1
Dunes7 - thank you, you make some very valid points.

Reactions: 45bvtc
33k miles on mine in just under 2 years. Runs fine as a daily.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Joe4842