Advice for vr6 turbo

R34nel

Reaction score
Hi I could do with some advice from anyone who is knowledgeable with these engines, I'm considering a budget low boost turbo conversion....

Now I understand that generally this wouldn't be considered something to do on a budget but I've recently had some inspiration from another project car done this way and worked well.

What I'd like to achieve is a < 8psi turbo conversion on the 3.2 a3 using low cost parts, and using the std management, what I'd like to know is exactly what I need and what's involved.

Can I use suitable manifold/turbo/intercooler and make up pipework and run it with just a custom map? How far do I actually need to go to get a basic setup? bear in mind I'm not chasing big figures here, I'd be happy with 350lbs torque and a modest 300/350hp, hence I'd be aiming to do this without cracking open the engine if this is safe?

So the question really is, what do I NEED to change/upgrade to get this working and what issues am I likely to run into? Will I need to alter compression to run approx 0.5bar boost?

What size turbo is suitable for this type of build? Something relatively small ideally because I want quick spool up, not to much different to a factory turbo ( < 3500rpm).

This is currently a stock engine with dsg box. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Regards

IMG_2037_zpsyqy9cynp.jpg
[/URL]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428431604.752006.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428431604.752006.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Sadly i cant answer any of your questions but please keep us updated im interested in this for my 3.2 also :)

It may be worth your while checking out Steve collier on VAGOC.

thanks alex, I've had a read through his build thread, its quite different to what I'm considering, and it was built by a tuner, I'm planning on doing most of this myself.

My motivation is that i want to go back to a turbo motor, but i can't bear to leave the vr6, after owning a st2+ s3, this engine is pure aural pleasure, I love this car but as most are aware, its not quick.

Reactions: S3Alex
Head over to www.r32oc.com, loads of info on different turbos and superchargers for the 3.2 vr6. There is a whole section on the forum dedicated to charging, and a few knowledgeable folk on the matter on there.
I'm afraid its quite an expensive process, with kits starting at 3-4k before you factor in fitting, and changes that might be needed. But its been done loads, so alot of info on it.

Teaser:

Reactions: S3 AEX and S3Alex
Head over to www.r32oc.com, loads of info on different turbos and superchargers for the 3.2 vr6. There is a whole section on the forum dedicated to charging, and a few knowledgeable folk on the matter on there.
I'm afraid its quite an expensive process, with kits starting at 3-4k before you factor in fitting, and changes that might be needed. But its been done loads, so alot of info on it.

Teaser:

Very good advice....

I think that's something that many people don't fully realise until they've launched into a build project,and then suddenly find out just how expensive it's going to be to do it properly.

Reactions: omblad0n
If it helps to reduce costs, I had an HPA turbo fitted to my R32 with no intercooler... (how they designed it). After a year or so I added an intake manifold with IC. Once the turbo is installed the noise of the V6 gets muffled. Although I lowered the compression with a spacer plate, you don't need to if you only intend to run low boost. Don't expect it to be economical, you'll become best friends with the local petrol station attendant.

Reactions: Sayam and S3Alex
If it helps to reduce costs, I had an HPA turbo fitted to my R32 with no intercooler... (how they designed it). After a year or so I added an intake manifold with IC. Once the turbo is installed the noise of the V6 gets muffled. Although I lowered the compression with a spacer plate, you don't need to if you only intend to run low boost. Don't expect it to be economical, you'll become best friends with the local petrol station attendant.

Can I just fit:
exhaust manifold
turbo
Recirc valve
Actuator
down pipe,
FMIC & piping to TB
fuel pressure regulator

and run this way at low boost? Is there any additional items that are necessary?

I'd prefer not to but do you mean that I could run straight from turbo to Inlet with no cooler at all??