Advice for prospective owner??

Fredp345

Reaction score
Hi Guys, new here

Looking at getting a b8/8.5 a4. Any advice/recommendations?

Common issues to look out for?
Whats the SE suspension like? Is the s-line suspension worth it? How can you tell when viewing a car what suspension it’s got?

Got my heart set on a 170bhp 2.0TDI S-like Quattro, but for my budget will probably have to sacrifice the Quattro.

Buy 2013 onwards to avoid oil burning issue.

S line suspension is lower, either -30mm or -20mm. It looks good but ride can be a bit harsh on rough roads.

If you can afford Quattro, go for it. I'm glad i have it every day, particularly when i push through a corner and feel the rear bias

Go for the highest spec possible to save on post purchase retrofits/regrets(!) Think particularly with regards to the MMI, so that you can have Bluetooth music streaming (it's not available across the range of MMI).

Reactions: Fredp345
I would second the Quattro. Most of the year you don't know you have it, but as soon as there's snow and ice on the road, you are going somewhere while others are going nowhere :sm4:

No regrets when I bought my A4 b8.5 S-line, suspension can be a bit harsh but it handles well and looks the part so worth it imo, mine has the later gen3 tfsi engine and I love it, with the 2.0tdi been a stronger engine it would make for a lovely car, im just a petrol head :grinning:

I own a 15 plate B8.5 S4 and find the suspension to be very compliant and comfortable, unlike the brand new 2015 Octavia VRS that I bought and then sold to buy the S4.

No regrets when I bought my A4 b8.5 S-line, suspension can be a bit harsh but it handles well and looks the part so worth it imo, mine has the later gen3 tfsi engine and I love it, with the 2.0tdi been a stronger engine it would make for a lovely car, im just a petrol head :grinning:
This one has the slightly higher stock BHP output, 225, i believe. it would be interesting to know how much difference that makes over the 208BHP.

Buy 2013 onwards to avoid oil burning issue.

S line suspension is lower, either -30mm or -20mm. It looks good but ride can be a bit harsh on rough roads.

If you can afford Quattro, go for it. I'm glad i have it every day, particularly when i push through a corner and feel the rear bias

Go for the highest spec possible to save on post purchase retrofits/regrets(!) Think particularly with regards to the MMI, so that you can have Bluetooth music streaming (it's not available across the range of MMI).
Thanks. Would I be right in thinking that cars without the control knob in front of the gear stick don’t have MMI of any sort?

And any idea what suspension the black edition came with as standard?

Last edited:
I would second the Quattro. Most of the year you don't know you have it, but as soon as there's snow and ice on the road, you are going somewhere while others are going nowhere :sm4:
I’ll be parking it in a field once a week over the winter as well, so thinking about it Quattro seems pretty essential.

Thanks. Would I be right in thinking that cars without the control knob in front of the gear stick don’t have MMI of any sort?

And any idea what suspension the black edition came with as standard?
I believe black edition will follow the S Line suspensions, so 30mm or 20mm. if you are able to check the options of the car before you buy it, you'll be able to establish this.

to find the sticker in the wheel well.

if you can get the VIN, you may be able to use the online VIN decoders: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-s8-d3-platform-discussion-60/option-code-sticker-2891679/

UPDATE: Just bought a 2008 S-line 2.0TDI. Unfortunately doesn’t have the Quattro but the (nearly) perfect car turned up for sale just down the road. Like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for delivery!

If buying a manual, look out for judder.

Panicking now as just bought a manual, didn’t notice anything when I test drove but had forgotten about this thread so didn’t remember your advice to specifically look out for it. Can you elaborate? What’s the issue?

The clutch and dual mass flywheel are made of chocolate. £1,000 job at an indie to replace both.

If there is no judder, then all good.

I never got them replaced. I just lived with it from 40,000 to 120,000 miles.

Reactions: audiwaterpump
1st gear from standstill mainly. More pronounced in hot weather.

If I floored it in 2nd, sometimes it would judder then, also.

I sold my A4 about 6 months ago and now have an auto A6 C7 instead.

I noticed when I'm stopped at a junction, and turning right and going uphill (so wheels will be turned approx. 30-45 degrees, that the front tyres seem to slip, and there maybe a judder as well but not sure.
Wonder if other owners get this.

audiwaterpump
The OP states he hasn't bought a Quattro but is yours? as what you describe sounds like the classic Quattro "creep".

Ye I have a 2014 B8.5 manual, it does judder sometimes but have just lived with it. Now on 120K. I normally notice it more when I lift the clutch but barely throttle (not always the case, sometimes it's unavoiable) or after a lot of hot driving (like stop / start city driving in the middle of summer), normally if I ease in more power while it's juddering it can make it go away. But ye it's definitely not normal, but don't think it's a complete deal breaker either.

I noticed when I'm stopped at a junction, and turning right and going uphill (so wheels will be turned approx. 30-45 degrees, that the front tyres seem to slip, and there maybe a judder as well but not sure.
Wonder if other owners get this.

Near my house there is a steep T junction where I usually turn right, never noticed the tyre slip but do get the occasisional judder, depending on how the car is feeling that day.