1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Advice for prospective owner??

Fredp345 May 23, 2020 at 11:09 PM

1. Fredp345

Fredp345 New Member

Hi Guys, new here

Looking at getting a b8/8.5 a4. Any advice/recommendations?

Common issues to look out for?
    Whats the SE suspension like? Is the s-line suspension worth it? How can you tell when viewing a car what suspension it’s got?

Got my heart set on a 170bhp 2.0TDI S-like Quattro, but for my budget will probably have to sacrifice the Quattro.

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. Super Nintendo Chalmers

Super Nintendo Chalmers Member TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

Buy 2013 onwards to avoid oil burning issue.

S line suspension is lower, either -30mm or -20mm. It looks good but ride can be a bit harsh on rough roads.

If you can afford Quattro, go for it. I'm glad i have it every day, particularly when i push through a corner and feel the rear bias

Go for the highest spec possible to save on post purchase retrofits/regrets(!) Think particularly with regards to the MMI, so that you can have Bluetooth music streaming (it's not available across the range of MMI).

4. The Jargen

The Jargen Member

He said TDI, not TFSI.

5. Tiger-G

Tiger-G Member

I would second the Quattro. Most of the year you don't know you have it, but as soon as there's snow and ice on the road, you are going somewhere while others are going nowhere :sm4:

6. Jon B

Jon B Member

If buying a manual, look out for judder.

7. A4snake

A4snake New Member

No regrets when I bought my A4 b8.5 S-line, suspension can be a bit harsh but it handles well and looks the part so worth it imo, mine has the later gen3 tfsi engine and I love it, with the 2.0tdi been a stronger engine it would make for a lovely car, im just a petrol head :grinning:

8. Andy Butcher

Andy Butcher Member TeamMisano Supercharged TFSI Owners Group Team V6 Audi S4 quattro Black Edition S tronic

I own a 15 plate B8.5 S4 and find the suspension to be very compliant and comfortable, unlike the brand new 2015 Octavia VRS that I bought and then sold to buy the S4.

9. Pie-eyedpiper

Pie-eyedpiper Active Member Team Brill Red Team Thule TDi Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group

Great for a later one to avoid the crossover from the B7 TDI oil pump failure issue.

10. Super Nintendo Chalmers

Super Nintendo Chalmers Member TeamMisano TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

I was unaware it was a petrol only issue.

11. Super Nintendo Chalmers

This one has the slightly higher stock BHP output, 225, i believe. it would be interesting to know how much difference that makes over the 208BHP.