Advice - Buying My A3 2.0T FSI S Line

Bone087

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm just looking to get some opinions on what people's views are on a 2005 Audi A3 2.0T FSI 3 Door that I've found for sale.

I've been searching for a while for either the A3 2.0T or a decent MK5 GTI to come up, and then last week this A3 came up. Here's the overview...

The car is at a dealership and comes with a 3 month warranty. They are asking £5999 for the car.

2005 2.0T FSI DSG/S Tronic 3 door - front wheel drive version - S Line in Silver

Has all the kit you expect with an S Line, 18" alloys, half leather etc - plus interior lights, power folding mirrors.

Here's the thing, the car has only done 21,000 miles and been owned by the same person since 2006.

It has every MOT certificate, all of which have been done at Audi. Over the years it has had a few failures...

2016 - washer provides insufficient washer liquid
2015 - offside headlamp aim too low and too far to the left / offside front cool Spring broken (advisories - tyres close to limit - front brake pipes slightly corroded, nail in tyre)
2014 - pass, but advisories nail in tyre
2013 - pass, but advisories offside tyre worn close to limit

The thing that is concerning me is the service history though. In it's lifetime it has only had a couple of minor services and a major service. The dealer thinks this is due to the car being such low mileage, but to me, irrelevant of mileage, the car should be serviced every year or every other year at least. Here's some more detail on what I've got from Audi...

2007 - major service

2010 - brake fluid change

2013 - major service, brake fluid change, timing belt and air con re-gas

2015 - minor service, oil filter change, brake fluid change

There's no evidence of the car having any other work done to it.

I'm in a bit of a quandary, it's great that a car has come up with this mileage and spec - but at the same time, I don't want to inherit a wrong-un as it potentially hasn't been serviced properly at the start of its lifetime.

All your opinions are most welcome...

It does seem to have a lack of minor services, easily sorted though with an engine flush and new oil and filters. The DSG service should have been done with the major service but again if your not sure it has been done then change the oil & fliter as well. A good test drive is imperative to be sure the box changes up and down smoothly in auto and manual modes, and all the other electrical items work as well.
The car is 11years old now so you need to expect some work to be done in the near future. Only 21K miles means the mechanical parts should have minimum wear on them. Good luck and hope it is as good as it seems.