ADVICE about window tints...

martyb

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this site and thought id ask a question I could find out by google lol.

I have an 06' plate S-line Avant (see pic) and wondered what tints and grades of tint would look good where.

I am thinking limo boot, dark smoke rears and light smoke fronts but will this look odd?

HELP as I wanna get this doen asap. It looks tinted in the pic below (don't know why but I do have the sun guards built into the doors so it could be that). I did also have a little play with picasa on this pic.

Thanks for reading my first thread...

574843_308845202533367_100002236694064_9735075_1706962431_n.jpg

Hi martyb, just thought I would let you know, ANY tinting of the front two windows is ILLEGAL, so you will be wasting your time having those done, as if you get stopped by the local constabulary, they will ask you to remove the tint, there and then and even hit you with an on the spot fine if they choose, so be aware!

you can get on the spot 3 points for each front window done
fines and probition orders
depends on the copper
usaly 1 warning and rip them off at road side
that stays on file second time points

Most cars now have a tint already in the fronts up to the legal limit, therefore even a light tint will push it over.
Look out your front sides and then out your windscreen and you should see the slight difference.

I had my tints done, rears are dark black, fronts are 15% which is well within the legal limit of 25%.

Mac

By law, you cannot have any aftermarket tint on your front two windows. The figure is as low as 8% from memory, which is the equivalent of the factory applied tint. Will double check the limit.

The reference for window tinting (which is the basis of the law) is Visible Light Transmission. This is a measure of how much light is allowed to pass through the glass. A VLT of 75% is not the same as tinting to 25% for many reasons. First up, factory tint on your windows will reduce the transmission to a certain value. For arguments sake, let's say factory tint is to 80% VLT. If the maximum is 75% (as it is) then that doesn't mean you have 5% left to tint. If you add a 5% tint to the windows now then you're adding 5% tint to an already tinted window, and the tints are rated at 100% clear glass VLT. Tinting an already tinted window is not as simple as just adding the numbers together. If you wanna do the maths and work it out, you'll see that a factory tint can have virtually nothing added to it before it drops below the legal limit. Even a standard glass side window is not 100% VLT as you're generally in to Lab Grade figures for 100% VLT on glass. Not something that car manufacturers aim at.

Last edited:
Thanks for the in depth info, I guess I'm over the legal limit then, but I'm guessing the police where I live aren't up to speed or are not interested lol- happy days.

Hi Marty
I would give away body parts for wheels like that, they look the dog's bits are they BBS???

I had dark smoke fitted on the front windows of my last car (golf r32) and was never pulled up in 7 years. However on my A4 I've only had the rears fitted with dark smoke, and I left the front as standard. I'd advise against limo tint as it's harder to see through at night (looking through the the dark smoke at night is almost the same as without them being fitted so good there), plus dark smoke on a car with a dark interior is hard to see through anyway so you won't gain much by limo-ing the rear.